+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

Re: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Where will the new bus station be?
    Just along from the Prince of Wales pub

Re: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Where will the new bus station be?
    As you come out of the station and look to your left, it will be there. It was Marland House (with the Burger King etc). Will now be bus station on ground floor, with offices and flats above.

Unfortunately I gather that inter-city buses won't use it, which is a drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    As you come out of the station and look to your left, it will be there. It was Marland House (with the Burger King etc). Will now be bus station on ground floor, with offices and flats above.

Unfortunately I gather that inter-city buses won't use it, which is a drawback.
    Shirley, it’s look to your RIGHT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Shirley, it’s look to your RIGHT !!!!
    Of course! I meant right! I'm so used to arguing with mad lefties on here, that I got confused

Of course! I meant right! I'm so used to arguing with mad lefties on here, that I got confused
    I thought you’d have said ‘far right’

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought you’d have said ‘far right’
    it doesn't take much to be labelled far-right on here, but I would argue that in this context the Sleeperz Hotel is the far-right.

it doesn't take much to be labelled far-right on here, but I would argue that in this context the Sleeperz Hotel is the far-right.
    Heil stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Heil stand corrected
    I am surprised I got confused tbf - it's clearly the other side of the square to Marx and Spencer..

At the moment perhaps, with the offices quiet, and the array of chain stores, but when the bus station is finished and hopefully people get back into work more and back on the trains more, it could become very vibrant.

Personally I think Central Square is looking the best it ever has - maybe it had something when the old bus station was new, but I think for most of the last 20 years or so the welcome to the city was dreadful
    Agreed. Half the area is still a construction site so I can forgive it for feeling a bit soulless and I expect it to be better when it’s finished. Although I do think some minor additions would help. A few trees, flower planters, some benches would definitely be a cheap way to add a bit of life and colour.

Settling up a couple semi permanent stalls with hot food and drink like on the Hayes would be great but I can imagine the shops in the station and central square might kick up a fuss about that.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Probably an improvement on the horrible buildings that were there before though, all 50/60’s nightmares weren’t they? I quite like the mix of modern and Victorian.
    Really , Asteys , football echo stand toilets,newsagents . ,great access to the ground from bus station , Red Dragon Bar , Bus Shelters , waiting place for away fans ????????????

I am surprised I got confused tbf - it's clearly the other side of the square to Marx and Spencer..
    Things have really changed since it was Cardiff Generalissimo.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Interesting quote from Steve Borley: "When a club is for sale you're always going to attract weirdos," he said. "We ended up forced to do a deal with Hammam."
    That is interesting and it's somewhat at odds with what Steve was saying at the time. In July 2000, when it was reported that Sam Hammam's interest in buying the club had cooled due to alleged boardroom wrangling at Ninian Park, Steve told BBC Wales: "If he sat down and met the board, I think he would change his mind. We're easy people to deal with. We've made it as easy as possible to accommodate any possible deal going forward because we only have the interests of the football club at heart."

Within a couple of months of Hammam taking control, Steve told the local press: "Sam has incredible energy. If the dust ever settles, he will see there's a huge job ahead, but who else would you want steering the ship?"

In January 2002, in the wake of the FA Cup victory over Leeds United, journalist David Conn attempted to do a hatchet job on Hammam in the Independent, but Steve was fierce in his defence. He told Conn: "Sam is the best thing to happen to this club in 50 years."

While Steve's a good man who has no doubt always had the club's best interests at heart, I think it's fair to say he's occasionally run with the hare and hunted with the hounds during his time in Cardiff City's boardroom, whether that be alongside Samesh Kumar, Sam Hammam, Peter Ridsdale or Vincent Tan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That is interesting and it's somewhat at odds with what Steve was saying at the time. In July 2000, when it was reported that Sam Hammam's interest in buying the club had cooled due to alleged boardroom wrangling at Ninian Park, Steve told BBC Wales: "If he sat down and met the board, I think he would change his mind. We're easy people to deal with. We've made it as easy as possible to accommodate any possible deal going forward because we only have the interests of the football club at heart."

Within a couple of months of Hammam taking control, Steve told the local press: "Sam has incredible energy. If the dust ever settles, he will see there's a huge job ahead, but who else would you want steering the ship?"

In January 2002, in the wake of the FA Cup victory over Leeds United, journalist David Conn attempted to do a hatchet job on Hammam in the Independent, but Steve was fierce in his defence. He told Conn: "Sam is the best thing to happen to this club in 50 years."

While Steve's a good man who has no doubt always had the club's best interests at heart, I think it's fair to say he's occasionally run with the hare and hunted with the hounds during his time in Cardiff City's boardroom, whether that be alongside Samesh Kumar, Sam Hammam, Peter Ridsdale or Vincent Tan.
    I think most fans had the same opinion of Sam at the time though didn’t they ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I think most fans had the same opinion of Sam at the time though didn’t they?
    I'm sure they did, although you won't find many who'll admit it now.

It was the "forced to do a deal with a weirdo" claim that tickled me. Not quite how I remember things, that's for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm sure they did, although you won't find many who'll admit it now.

It was the "forced to do a deal with a weirdo" claim that tickled me. Not quite how I remember things, that's for sure.....
    I loved it when he would come on here pissed, usually a Friday.