+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-23906677

Steve Borley made his millions from nothing and has ploughed his money back into the places he loved as a boy.

Re: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

All credit to him for his success and various projects but the first impression of Cardiff when coming out of the railway station is quite soulless.

Re: Steve Borley - The council house kid who made an £85m company from £250 in his bank account

Every chairman of a football club should be someone like steve Borley. Football would be much better if it was.

Nice to see a write up on a positive subject

Looks like he deserves every penny

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    All credit to him for his success and various projects but the first impression of Cardiff when coming out of the railway station is quite soulless.
    His company didn’t design the buildings. They’re a mechanical & electrical engineering business.
    However, that area is bland, mind.

It's an improvement on the outdated, piss-smelling bus station though

All credit to Borley for what he’s achieved so far. Very impressive.
    Curly Humphreys story is just as interesting and impressive.
    2 local lads who did well.

Probably an improvement on the horrible buildings that were there before though, all 50/60’s nightmares weren’t they? I quite like the mix of modern and Victorian.

Steve Borley is a throwback to the days when football clubs in the top two divisions tended to be run by local businessmen and the weird thing is that plenty of the clubs with overseas owners who throw money about like it is going out of fashion are no better off now than they were then - in fact, they’re worse off in lots of cases.

Steve Borley is a good Cardiffian who has put a lot into both his home city and its football club - chwarae teg to him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Exactly

I was mortified when Astey's closed, along with the Kiosk attached to it. Excellently situated for buying a couple of 'single' fags for the bus journey back to Llanedeyrn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was mortified when Astey's closed, along with the Kiosk attached to it. Excellently situated for buying a couple of 'single' fags for the bus journey back to Llanedeyrn.
    Remember a poster on here called Astey’s rent boy 😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Remember a poster on here called Astey’s rent boy ��
    Yeah, i remember that one. Also, Markylicksthais or something similar, 'Kin' ell All of that area was rank, especially around the public Toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Steve Borley is a throwback to the days when football clubs in the top two divisions tended to be run by local businessmen and the weird thing is that plenty of the clubs with overseas owners who throw money about like it is going out of fashion are no better off now than they were then - in fact, they’re worse off in lots of cases.

Steve Borley is a good Cardiffian who has put a lot into both his home city and its football club - chwarae teg to him.
    Interesting quote from Steve Borley

Then in 2000, Sam Hammam came in as new Cardiff City owner. Steve offers his take on the next six years that would follow: "When a club is for sale you're always going to attract weirdos," he said. "We ended up forced to do a deal with Hammam. I assumed I would be gone but he kept me on as chair for a bit. Hamman had run out of money by 2006."

The Lebanese businessman was best known for making one of football's most rakish financial killings from Wimbledon. He walked away with around £36m, first by selling the Plough Lane ground to Safeway for £8m, then the club itself to two Norwegian investors. He promised much for Cardiff but by the time they reached the First Division in 2003 the wage bill exceeded the club's entire earnings. The debts, £1.5m when Hammam arrived, had ballooned to almost £23m

Always Liked Steve, I will never forget the messages we exchanged prior to Scam joining, Steve always had the clubs best interests at heart with whatever that meant to him

the guy deserves nothing but respect from us city fans

I’ve my beef with him for some of his actions during the rebrand, but overall can’t fault him.

indeed, the new look might be soulless and bland ( Ive not seen it in person ) But lets be honest, the old lot was ugly and quite frankly a eyesore

All credit to Borley for what he’s achieved so far. Very impressive.
    Curly Humphreys story is just as interesting and impressive.
    2 local lads who did well.
    Bronco Lane another one

anyone remember 'Supermarket Bumsniffer'..?

At the moment perhaps, with the offices quiet, and the array of chain stores, but when the bus station is finished and hopefully people get back into work more and back on the trains more, it could become very vibrant.

Personally I think Central Square is looking the best it ever has - maybe it had something when the old bus station was new, but I think for most of the last 20 years or so the welcome to the city was dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    At the moment perhaps, with the offices quiet, and the array of chain stores, but when the bus station is finished and hopefully people get back into work more and back on the trains more, it could become very vibrant.

Personally I think Central Square is looking the best it ever has - maybe it had something when the old bus station was new, but I think for most of the last 20 years or so the welcome to the city was dreadful
    Staff at HMRC are due to start returning in the next couple of weeks. There should be about an extra 2000 people per day in the area when everyone is back.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Where will the new bus station be?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-23906677

Steve Borley made his millions from nothing and has ploughed his money back into the places he loved as a boy.
    Thanks for posting this: very interesting 👍