+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our away following 16th in league in terms of numbers

Our away following 16th in league in terms of numbers

Below likes of luton blackpool and Middlesbrough (who top it).

Have to say a little surprised how poor our away support is now. Is it just due to efforts on the pitch or anything else? Is this due to coivd restrictions maybe? I thought our away following used to be half decent?

Re: Our away following 16th in league in terms of numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Have to say a little surprised how poor our away support is now. Is it just due to efforts on the pitch or anything else? Is this due to coivd restrictions maybe? I thought our away following used to be half decent?
    Considering the way the team has been playing, the fact of so many midweek and Sunday games and the overall cost of it, then i don’t think we are doing too bad. I don’t go to as many away games now as i used to.

A Cardiff fan travelling from the CCS to every away ground in the Championship would have travelled 3,941 miles (approx) across the season (and that again to get home!). This is the 4th highest distance between grounds behind Swampsea (4,633); Bournemouth (4,385); and, Middlesbrough (4,330).
    Based on quickest route per AA Route Planner.

We are out on a limb really , like Swansea, Plymouth etc

Clubs based in the Midlands or Yorkshire, Lancashire tend to have the best away support

Birmingham City have just a two hour trip to London, 2 and a half hours to us and to a lot of northern clubs just an hour and a half

Coventry , Forest , Stoke , Derby are very short trips

It's no wonder clubs like this have better away support than us

Blimey even Preston and Blackburn and Blackpool are just a hop on the bus for Birmingham and West Brom fans

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Clubs based in the Midlands or Yorkshire, Lancashire tend to have the best away support

Birmingham City have just a two hour trip to London, 2 and a half hours to us and to a lot of northern clubs just an hour and a half

Blimey even Preston and Blackburn and Blackpool are just a hop on the bus for Birmingham and West Brom fans
    That is true but Middlesbrough topped the chart....

It was the away membership fee that put me off this season if I'm honest, sick of paying it.

To be fair. If you lived in Middlesborough, you’d probably want to get away from there as often as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    A Cardiff fan travelling from the CCS to every away ground in the Championship would have travelled 3,941 miles (approx) across the season (and that again to get home!). This is the 4th highest distance between grounds behind Swampsea (4,633); Bournemouth (4,385); and, Middlesbrough (4,330).
    Based on quickest route per AA Route Planner.
    That’s why we are where we are in the division for away following. Not bad away support for an indifferent playing performance this season.

On the distance between grounds Derby fans had the shortest travelling distance at 2,258 miles approx. Other relatively "short" distances are Birmingham (2,308); Coventry (2,328); Notts Forest (2,374), and, WBA (2,385) - these being the only sides with a distance to other grounds below 2,500 miles.

Bigger club than us to be fair

I do wonder how other clubs' fans are treated when it comes to number of aways needed/ticket restrictions/kick off times/bubbles/ticket prices. Plus cost of travel over long distances. Must have an impact on the numbers attending. We'll done to Boro though. A good turnout. As others have pointed out though. If you've been to Boro, it's not surprising people want to leave.

Don’t they hate going to the Riverside? Maybe they prefer away games?

What surprises me us that you think that an AVERAGE away following of over 1200 people is ‘poor’ in the current financial and covid situation. This includes midweek away games at places like Hull, Middlesborough, Peterborough and Barnsley. Not shabby at all in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What surprises me us that you think that an AVERAGE away following of over 1200 people is ‘poor’ in the current financial and covid situation. This includes midweek away games at places like Hull, Middlesborough, Peterborough and Barnsley. Not shabby at all in my opinion.
    Middlesbrough usually sell out at places like Barnsley (4,500) ,Preston (5,000) and teams within two hours which boost these numbers .

They took 9,500 to Old Trafford for a night match in the cup

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Middlesbrough usually sell out at places like Barnsley (4,500) ,Preston (5,000) and teams within two hours which boost these numbers .

We took 7,000 (sold out) to Anfield for a Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    We took 300 to Barnsley . Great support from those who went . But it's not very many .

We took 300 to Barnsley . Great support from those who went . But it's not very many .
    Tuesday night away to Barnsley in one of our worst seasons for some time is hardly an attractive prospect

Just after Christmas/New Year as well

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

This makes a big difference.

Teams up north have a lot of away games which are close where they are given big allocations.
    Big away ends at Preston, Blackburn, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Barnsley Hull, etc..
    All out closest games are at places where we are only given around 2k

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Tuesday night away to Barnsley in one of our worst seasons for some time is hardly an attractive prospect

Just after Christmas/New Year as well

Trust me if you weren't there you barely missed anything. Horrible injury to Sean Morrison, guy in front of me ejected for constantly smoking an ecig and then a comedy winning goal from Uche. With handbags in the tunnel at the end

So easy for some fans to get to away games, the road signs on the M62 read like a pools coupon, league clubs at nigh on every turn off.

Good call Sludge.
    Spedger

565 actually. That was a good turnout relatively speaking. Who in their right mind would go all that way on a cold, dark night?

I'm surprised we are quite that low, but it was a pretty spectacularly dull season and there was no 'big' away day of taking several thousand, although in the championship that is probably common for many clubs. Covid restrictions did linger in Wales a little longer too, so I maybe it took us slightly longer?

Part of the issue is train ticket prices from south Wales really. Even Birmingham is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Yeah but how many of those were City fans