+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klopp vs Pep

Klopp vs Pep

It has to be said that these have to be the worlds best managers since Fergie (who they may even eclipse one day)

I would usually say Pep but not sure anymore.

Who’s the better manager?

Re: Klopp vs Pep

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It has to be said that these have to be the worlds best managers since Fergie (who they may even eclipse one day)

Carlo Ancelotti

Pep.

Neither. Put them in charge of a team like Norwich , then see what they do. Then you can judge if they are any good or not. Anyone can get the cheque book out if the funds are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Neither. Put them in charge of a team like Norwich , then see what they do. Then you can judge if they are any good or not. Anyone can get the cheque book out if the funds are available.
    Put Dean Smith in charge of Liverpool or Man City. Do you think he'd be a success?

Manic vs Obsessive

They're not galacticos managers. They have spent money obviously, but they're not just getting the current best player in the world. They are buying players who will fit their systems (because they know what they're doing).

Here's a list of the top 20 players in the world at the moment according to goal.com

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/ballon...de021fe00d6d85

Mahrez
    Bernardo Silva
    Foden
    De Bruyne

Van Dijk
    Luis Diaz
    Thiago
    Alexander-Arnold
    Mane
    Salah

(Jota and Cancelo recently dropped off it.)

Half full of Man City/Liverpool players.

If not for Pep, would Bernardo Silva be that high? If not for Klopp, would Luis Diaz be that high? Those players are reaching their potential because of the managers, and Klopp and Pep are doing this every season.

To suggest that they couldn't do a better job than Dean Smith is just ridiculous

Klopp for me, because he has done more with a variety of clubs.

Pep is extraordinary, but he has managed FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. He has still done it, but with more of a helping hand than Klopp in my opinion.

Klopp managed Mainz 05 fc for 7 years, saving them from relegation then gaining promotion to the German top flight for the first time in their history. But he couldn't save Norwich?

For almost 4 years some of the best football I've ever seen was under pep at Barca.

They had great players but he helped them for into a system that absolutely played with teams, they were in a bit of a mess before his appointment.

Klopp at the moment though, seems to make good players look like world beaters.

Both fantastic managers, who have managed big clubs because they have something about them. I hope both stay here for a while, not a massive fan if either club but enjoy their rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Roberto Mancini started the Man City machine off after Mark Hughes , great Euro win got them playing so well

I think Klopp has done absolute wonders at Liverpool, and has a track record of improving teams before that.

I don't really buy into the pep cult myself. Obviously a very good manager, but this faux intellectual shtick is just nonsense in my opinion. He's had great success, but personally I think a lot of managers would have had success with the teams he's been given.

Although, I suppose it should be pointed out that spending lots isn't a guarantee. I'd imagine Everton would be in a much better position if they'd of had klopp or pep in charge for the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Put Dean Smith in charge of Liverpool or Man City. Do you think he'd be a success?
    Yes I do. With the players they have , you wouldn’t have to tell them too much. They should already know what to do. You and me could manage Liverpool no problem at all.

Pep gets criticized because he takes over top clubs with open chequebooks, but that's because he's the best. If Dean Smith was rated that highly, he would get those jobs. And an open chequebook doesn't guarantee success as we've seen at Man United.

I rate Klopp, but until this season he hadn't won enough trophies considering how good a team they have IMO. And thats because of Pep. Pep has won sooo many trophies I think he's the best currently. If Liverpool win the CL this year, and win a league or two in the near future, then Klopp will be up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They're not galacticos managers. They have spent money obviously, but they're not just getting the current best player in the world. They are buying players who will fit their systems (because they know what they're doing).

Here's a list of the top 20 players in the world at the moment according to goal.com

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/ballon...de021fe00d6d85

Mahrez
    Bernardo Silva
    Foden
    De Bruyne

Van Dijk
    Luis Diaz
    Thiago
    Alexander-Arnold
    Mane
    Salah

(Jota and Cancelo recently dropped off it.)

Half full of Man City/Liverpool players.

If not for Pep, would Bernardo Silva be that high? If not for Klopp, would Luis Diaz be that high? Those players are reaching their potential because of the managers, and Klopp and Pep are doing this every season.

To suggest that they couldn't do a better job than Dean Smith is just ridiculous
    Kopp can't really be credited with Diaz being on that list, how long has he managed him?

To answer the OP I think Klopp.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Kopp can't really be credited with Diaz being on that list, how long has he managed him?

To answer the OP I think Klopp.
    I see where you're coming from, but would he be on the list if he wasn't working with Klopp? My point is that they buy players to fit the way they want to play, and Luis Diaz slotting in so well may be more due to scouting than coaching, but Klopp is still the guy in charge of it all.

They are both are obviously very talented at identifying players, coaching and motivating them and integrating them into a system that challenges for every honour.
    Who wouldn’t want to play for either coach.

For me what is giving Klopp the edge is that he has developed both Dortmund and Liverpool from also rans into winners.
    Pep has inherited all his clubs who were at or near the top, consolidated them and made them better.
    Of course unlimited funds will help, but he still needs the talent to make it work - just missing that next champions league win.

This is kind of like the Messi/Ronaldo debate - value of medals aside its peoples opinion and perspective that keeps it interesting right now.

Yes I do. With the players they have , you wouldn’t have to tell them too much. They should already know what to do. You and me could manage Liverpool no problem at all.
    Congratulations on winning the "Most Idiotic Post of the Week" award on a Monday morning!

The saying goes, that Pep has never won the champions league without Messi.
    He has got to win the CL with City imo, to be on a par with Klopp.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The saying goes, that Pep has never won the champions league without Messi.
    He has got to win the CL with City imo, to be on a par with Klopp.
    Messi never won’t it without Pep either.
    Perhaps they both need to win it without the other to achieve a type of immortality

Both exceptional managers. Personally, I prefer watching Klopp’s teams to Pep’s generally.

Both in different ways steamroller and overload the opposition, Klopp’s side seem to have that bit more grit and resilience to them. There’s something almost plucky about them in a strange way. “Heavy metal” football perhaps.

Pep’s are like an elaborately engineered clock. Once it’s wound up and in motion, it’s almost game over. Relatively speaking, there’s a very faint hint of fragility to them as maybe seen in the rock ‘em sock ‘em games with Real Madrid this year. But I’d say that’s embellishing a pretty slight weakness.

Two of the best teams ever in the top flight at the same time without question.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Messi never won’t it without Pep either.
    Perhaps they both need to win it without the other to achieve a type of immortality
    Messi has won the CL without Pep.

Klopp for me, he’s built football clubs. Pep has taken extremely good teams to another level. Klopp has taken 2 decent sides to the same level as Pep. And he did a cracking job at Mainz

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Messi has won the CL without Pep.

Klopp for me, he’s built football clubs. Pep has taken extremely good teams to another level. Klopp has taken 2 decent sides to the same level as Pep. And he did a cracking job at Mainz
    I stand corrected on messi other CL medals without pep.

And you echo my comments earlier in the thread about Klopp taking his teams to that level.
    Could have been more but he was probably was unfortunate to run into Bayern Munich with Dortmund and Madrid with Gareth Bale in the other finals.

Ridiculous statement. The failure point for Pep and Klopp is finishing 2nd.

So why don't clubs save themselves a fortune and get a fan in to do it for free? Millions would want to manage Liverpool.