+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cost Of Living Crisis

Re: Cost Of Living Crisis

whether or not the OP referenced it, JamesWales makes a valid point about taking on more work and the reduction in benefits and is a point that is oft overlooked in these discussions.

Inflation at 9%, and it may rise further, although the indication from the IFS and ONS is that the key drivers for the rise are now behind us. However, whilst private sector workers pay has risen by 5, 6, 7%, public sector workers have seen pay rise by 1%. What can this government do...well they could do more:

zero rate VAT on energy
    abolish the green levy and fund it from general taxation
    have a temporary benefits freeze, insomuch that your benefits can go up but not down, so if you take on more work, you get to keep the same benefits
    increase the top rate of tax to 50%

The 9% is a big leap and the removal of the 12.5% hospitality cap, the removal of the fuel cap has been the main factor along with the Fuel crisis , pandemic and Ukraine and of course Brexit .

Yes to zero rating to energy .
    Cant abolish / suspend green levy sadly as the opposition and metropolitan elite who can afford it will leap all over that one , but it woudl help the poor .
    Align benefits to inflation ( but i guess if they go down , we will get the oh no you cruel people moment )
    Reintroduce the triple lock for pensioners which the Tory / Liberal government introduced .
    Give government workers 5% but look at lessening the tax burdening those pension deliver when comparing public with private work benefits .
    Lets not forget a lot of private sector workers were furloughed on 80% pay ,government workers enjoyed full pay and mostly form home not incurring travelling / office working costs .
    Id insulate homes before benefits rises as you cannot roll them back out whcih we saw in the pandemic .
    Id give everyone a one off energy type heating voucher not cash for this winter.

Do worry about the easy answer of a windfall and its adverse effects a lot of pensions scheme if we move to the world of windfall as they are in the trillions ??

So our country is now debating whether the police should use discretion on shop lifters. Im sure all those running shops struggling with the cost of living themselves will be delighted with this.

What a state our country is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So our country is now debating whether the police should use discretion on shop lifters. Im sure all those running shops struggling with the cost of living themselves will be delighted with this.

They just following the script.

The police are order followers, as are all employees. For as long as they keep doing as they are told, wages for doing so appear in their bank account. If you ever hear one claim the primary objective of what they do is to safeguard the public, or similar, then they're lying. It's the wonga they receive which motivates them.

They have have been using their discretion with beggars, who mostly purport to be homeless, for so long it has become an industry and a plague. Begging and vagrancy has been illegal in England and Wales since 1824.

Coppers are paid to uphold all laws, not just the ones they can be bothered to apply. But I have little doubt they are told to look the other way whenever possible, which they do for the reasons outlined. If they are told to use kid gloves with shoplifters, that's what they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Yes I'm sure Tescos, Asda, Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsburies are really struggling.

Your take from this is that there isn't massive systematic issues meaning basically people may have to steal food to survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Yes I'm sure Tescos, Asda, Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsburies are really struggling.

Your take from this is that there isn't massive systematic issues meaning basically people may have to steal food to survive?
    Where the hell did you get that from? Nothing in his posts suggests anything of the sort.

He said "shops" not supermarkets. Shoplifting also isn't limited to stealing food either.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The police are order followers, as are all employees. For as long as they keep doing as they are told, wages for doing so appear in their bank account. If you ever hear one claim the primary objective of what they do is to safeguard the public, or similar, then they're lying. It's the wonga they receive which motivates them.

They have have been using their discretion with beggars, who mostly purport to be homeless, for so long it has become an industry and a plague. Begging and vagrancy has been illegal in England and Wales since 1824.

Coppers are paid to uphold all laws, not just the ones they can be bothered to apply. But I have little doubt they are told to look the other way whenever possible, which they do for the reasons outlined. If they are told to use kid gloves with shoplifters, that's what they will do.
    How did you earn the money that appeared in your bank account in your working life, Morg?

Morrissey was ahead of his time ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Morrissey was ahead of his time ..

never thought i would hear a smiths tune on a politics forum . as the Mozfather turns 63 today reminds of this day back in 2004 not 2005 as the edits claim when legions of us turned up the MEN arena in Manchester to celebrate his birthday back then . Can see myself within the Mozpit too !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ytrv2c32kM

oh the memories .................happy birthday Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Where the hell did you get that from? Nothing in his posts suggests anything of the sort.

He said "shops" not supermarkets. Shoplifting also isn't limited to stealing food either.
    Who ever says 'I'm going out to the supermarket'.

Nobody.

Nobody.
    You don't see anything wrong with what you posted originally because nobody says "I'm going out to the supermarket"?
    Perhaps read Hilts' post again, then your reply and then consider whether you may have overreacted and misunderstood what he was saying.

I have no idea why you interpreted his post the way you did as it's in plain English what he's saying.

You're becoming the life on mars of the left on here.

Nobody.
    Going down the City

Going down the supermarket

Going down the Gôl

That's what we say

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    How did you earn the money that appeared in your bank account in your working life, Morg?
    For the first three years I was a money mercenary for hire, then became a hirer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    You don't see anything wrong with what you posted originally because nobody says "I'm going out to the supermarket"?
    Perhaps read Hilts' post again, then your reply and then consider whether you may have overreacted and misunderstood what he was saying.

I have no idea why you interpreted his post the way you did as it's in plain English what he's saying.

You're becoming the life on mars of the left on here.
    Alright Mr Enlightened Centrist.

It isn't clear as day though is it? I see shops and I think of Tesco's etc I'm not justifying stealing from small shops but my heart doesn't exactly bleed in a country where poverty is rife if people steal food.

Alright Mr Enlightened Centrist.

It isn't clear as day though is it? I see shops and I think of Tesco's etc I'm not justifying stealing from small shops but my heart doesn't exactly bleed in a country where poverty is rife if people steal food.
    Mr Enlightened Centrist was my father's name. Just call me Enlightened.

Your post would have been a great response if Hilts had said anything negative about people stealing food - instead of him being concerned for shop owners dealing with shoplifters who could have full impunity.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

You overreacted and misunderstood his post, whether that was intentional or unintentional is to be confirmed.

Out of interest, would you condone the shoplifting of non-food items if people were selling them to buy food?

Wonder how many fuel bills would have been paid for this winter from the outputs of fans expenditure in Paris on Saturday and Rangers fans stay in Seville , never mind the 400 % uplift in foreign holiday jet setters this and next week and the huge uplift in home takeaways orders ??

You're wasting your time trying to converse with Tito. He's blue pilled to the max and I have little doubt boosted to the eyeballs as well. The Tito's of this world view government as their friend and protector. He will be among first in line each week soon enough to collect his state rations of Ramen noodles, tin of spaghetti, powdered milk and stale loaf - and he will be so grateful. Even when he becomes skeletal he will refuse to consider his penury was entirely by design.

You're wasting your time trying to converse with Tito. He's blue pilled to the max and I have little doubt boosted to the eyeballs as well. The Tito's of this world view government as their friend and protector. He will be among first in line each week soon enough to collect his state rations of Ramen noodles, tin of spaghetti, powdered milk and stale loaf - and he will be so grateful. Even when he becomes skeletal he will refuse to consider his penury was entirely by design.
    I'm loaded mate. Enjoy your new coat.

If you're loaded in currency you're most susceptible to the ravages of hyperinflation... the more of that you have, the greater the pain. Diversify while you can: don't be among those launching themselves from bridges and windowsills when the plug's pulled.

If you're loaded in currency you're most susceptible to the ravages of hyperinflation... the more of that you have, the greater the pain. Diversify while you can: don't be among those launching themselves from bridges and windowsills when the plug's pulled.
    That doesn't make sense. The more you have, the greater the pain?

If coats go up and cost thousands, who is going to be affected first? Someone with a million in the bank, or someone with £500?

The most someone with £500 can lose is £500.

I remarked in another thread Turkey's annual inflation rate is 70%. Asif with a million lira tucked away has lost 700k of his wealth, while Ahmed who has 500 lira to his name has lost 350 lira of his. They both lost an identical percentage of their purchasing power but who do you think has the longest face?

Diversify you say. Ok, I'll ensure that I get chicken and mushroom as well as beef and tomato Pot Noodles.

I'll be fine thanks.

Pulled Pork Pot Noodle is my fave. Though I imagine I'll be unable to persuade you to give that one a try.

Have I got this right? The world is hurtling towards a once in a lifetime catastrophe, Klaus says the WEF are engineering a great reset and Lardy & Cyril say they aren't, while Tito is more interested in other people's coats?