+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Ukraine Win This War Now

Will Ukraine Win This War Now

With their biggest battle won ( the Eurovision Song Contest ) onto bigger things , they can see the whites of the Ruskies teeth , get into them lads I hear you all cry ?

“We can see the Russian positions from here and say, ‘**** you, Russians,’” the 35-year-old Ukrainian commander joshed in rough English, his grim face creasing into a wide grin.

The amalgam of National Guard and volunteers he leads seized Ruska Lozova in fierce fighting on May 8, four days into a counteroffensive that has thwarted Russia’s bid to seize nearby Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second largest city.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...a4d822556fb74f

Re: Will Ukraine Win This War Now

I hope they win.
    Most Ruskie soldiers are conscripts, not sure why they're fighting and dying, the Ukrainians are fighting for their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I hope they win.
    Most Ruskie soldiers are conscripts, not sure why they're fighting and dying, the Ukrainians are fighting for their homes.
    Sun Tzu and all that!

Neither side will 'win' the war, as such. Russia will end up still occupying areas of Ukraine and a larger area will probably be under their control/influence than when the 'special operation' first started. The current 'land bridge' direct to the Crimea from Russia may very well be maintained ad infinitum.

I hope they win.
    Feel for those Russian kids, clueless and fighting Ukrainians giving their lives for their land, not for the many generals though who have been killed attempting to sort them out. Reckon the young Russians have worked out it’s not a liberation exercise by now? Still the Russian people do nothing…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Feel for those Russian kids, clueless and fighting Ukrainians giving their lives for their land, not for the many generals though who have been killed attempting to sort them out. Reckon the young Russians have worked out it’s not a liberation exercise by now? Still the Russian people do nothing…..

Yes, and for those who rape, pillage and murder. F**king animals

I hope they win.
    Sadly there are reports of Russian conscripts also delivering appalling crimes to innocent homes and families which are not part of a soldiers responsibilities i.e. fighting Ukrainian troops.

NATO will be the winner ,which will upset a few in the UK

I have no idea who will win, but I think we should remain cautious and remember that Russia is a nuclear power with an enormous land mass and a leader who quite clearly is at best unpredictable.

Thats why I think we should have a degree of caution on it all and no one should be overly triumphant (Ukrainians, naturally, aside).

Putin still needs a way out of this, unfortunately.

I hope Ukraine come out the other side of this war with Russia bruised by their beleaguered ambition to resurrect the USSR.

The question then would turn to answering the call of Ukraine to help rebuild their country. They are essentially the front lines of a proxy war between the West and Russia, and are bearing the brunt of it with their infrastructure and lives.

I am currently hosting a Ukrainian family here in Switzerland and they have the strong desire to return back home and rebuild and I commend their positive attitude to start a new and be willing to show strength against adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I have no idea who will win, but I think we should remain cautious and remember that Russia is a nuclear power with an enormous land mass and a leader who quite clearly is at best unpredictable.

Thats why I think we should have a degree of caution on it all and no one should be overly triumphant (Ukrainians, naturally, aside).

Putin still needs a way out of this, unfortunately.
    He does. 2 months ago he was up against a poorly equipped, un-trained, mainly civilian army. He's now facing an army which is considerably larger, with the most sophisticated weaponry on earth, and men and women who have been trained to use it. I doubt Putin will allow this war to exist in stalemate for too long - that would cause him problems domestically. He's right in the fact that he's now in a battle with the West, even though the people on the ground are Ukrainians. I hope the U.S. [because that's who it is], doesn't push him into a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    He does. 2 months ago he was up against a poorly equipped, un-trained, mainly civilian army. He's now facing an army which is considerably larger, with the most sophisticated weaponry on earth, and men and women who have been trained to use it. I doubt Putin will allow this war to exist in stalemate for too long - that would cause him problems domestically. He's right in the fact that he's now in a battle with the West, even though the people on the ground are Ukrainians. I hope the U.S. [because that's who it is], doesn't push him into a corner.
    do you trust that basket case putin he will push the button if he can't get his way,the nut has lost the plot whilst innocent people pay the price . all we can hope for is a coup in russia to get him out.

Quote Originally Posted by driver blue View Post
    do you trust that basket case putin he will push the button if he can't get his way,the nut has lost the plot whilst innocent people pay the price . all we can hope for is a coup in russia to get him out.
    Indeed, and a Nuclear Strike in 200 seconds from their Satan 2 missile doesn't leave much time to have your favourite meal before it's way overcooked.

Man left to his own devices is but a fool.

[QUOTE=driver blue;5301431]do you trust that basket case putin he will push the button if he can't get his way,the nut has lost the plot whilst innocent people pay the price . all we can hope for is a coup in russia to get him out.[/QUOTE

If there's no coup - and because he's surrounded himself with a ring of steel I doubt there ever will be - then God knows how this will end. Nuclear, I really doubt it but he has other powerful weaponry at his disposal which he hasn't used yet.

The extra weaponry being supplied to Ukraine by the West is making a big difference. The new US-supplied artillery can fire 10 to 12 km further than the Russian equivalent, so you have the situation where the Ukrainians can sit and shell the Russians, but the Russians can't shoot back. And that's on top of the anti-tank and drone successes.
    I think we're going to see some big advances by Ukraine in the next few weeks, but once they reach the areas that have been occupied for a while, they might hit problems. Crimea, for example, has been in Russian hands for 8 years. Whereas I can see that they would want it back, it's not going to be easy.

Having watched the BBC News at Six tonight you cannot fail to be inspired by the bravery and the determination of the Ukranians, in tonight's case a squad of volunteer defenders in a village near the edge of Izyum. The village is like a ghost town as we were told that all the inhabitants had fled but suddenly, with Russian artillery shells whistling overhead, an old lady appeared from her house. The volunteers begged her to go with them to the relative safety of the next town but she refused to leave her home because she felt she would be deserting her husband who was buried in the nearby cemetery. Heartbreaking.

There is no doubt that an army defending its own homeland is a much more formidable force than an invading army composed mainly of conscripts far from home in a foreign land. If the West's military experts are to be believed that one third of the Russian assault force has been already destroyed, then that is a frightening statistic. Imagine being a young Russian conscript on the front line under those circumstances!

Doesn’t look as if they will win now, Mariupol steelworks surrenders. Evil seems to be the winner.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61461805

Agree that they may struggle to retake all the bits of Ukraine that have been occupied by the ruskies. Hopefully the Ukrainians will get themselves well stocked up with long range kit and start blasting big holes in random parts of Russia.
    When the chechens start realising how many of their scumbag soldiers have been killed I'd imagine they may well start kicking off aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The British military has been in Ukraine helping train them since Russia invaded Crimea in 2014. Ukraine's regular army has been well trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Doesn’t look as if they will win now, Mariupol steelworks surrenders. Evil seems to be the winner.
    There’s nothing left of Mariupol anyway….prisoner exchange isn’t it? Amazed the Russians have agreed to it mind

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    That's one battle, not the war.

No country is going to "win" this. Ukraine is going to end up like Germany after WWII. So after all the death and destruction, maybe they can rebuild with foreign aid and things might eventually get better there, but with a heavy debt paid. Putin has ****ed himself. Who knows if he can see this out? And who knows what the Russian people will get or want after he's gone?

Some candor from an ex military chief on live Russian State TV.
    Reality biting?

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/st...iJqn1NvoQ&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Reality biting?

Astonishing and whilst being diplomatic towards the gung-ho idiot presenter. A few extra seconds of that video can be seen if you scroll down a wee tad.

And there's more from him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUlg...l=TheTelegraph

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Reality biting?

Very brave guy. His take on the situation concurs exactly with my earlier post! People defending their homeland make formidable opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Astonishing and whilst being diplomatic towards the gung-ho idiot presenter. A few extra seconds of that video can be seen if you scroll down a wee tad.

And there's more from him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUlg...l=TheTelegraph
    Thanks for that TBG.
    He's spitting truths.