+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Re: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    He is good, but not great. Although he has been a fine servant to the City, they should get rid of him. We can find better elsewhere for less money.
    like who?

He's a good quality player at this level

Good protective cover on the pitch for the more creative

I would like to see him stay

But we can't afford a high wage bill so if he goes that's the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    The likelihood is that if he was happy with the offer he would have signed by now. Even if another club were to offer £1k a week more then that’s another £150k over a 3 yr deal, which anyone would be crazy to turn down.

My feeling is that he has been offered more elsewhere and is waiting to see if we can match that offer before the contact expiry.
    I’d seriously consider turning an extra £150k over three years down if I’d been offered in the region of £1.8 million over the same period by someone else - my point being, is there so much need to go chasing the money when you’re a millionaire a few times over?

Maybe it wasn't money could be the managers vision going forward, I know Rallsy loved playing for NW.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    He is good, but not great. Although he has been a fine servant to the City, they should get rid of him. We can find better elsewhere for less money.
    My thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    like who?
    Are you insinuating that there aren't better players out there for less money?
    Perhaps you were asking a genuine question, in which case, I would say that is the job of our professional scouts.
    Cast the net further afield, I'm sure there's some really decent midfielders available abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    The likelihood is that if he was happy with the offer he would have signed by now. Even if another club were to offer £1k a week more then that’s another £150k over a 3 yr deal, which anyone would be crazy to turn down.

My feeling is that he has been offered more elsewhere and is waiting to see if we can match that offer before the contact expiry.
    while 150 K isn't to be sniffed at for us mere mortals, its about 3 months money for that type of contract, spread over the 3 years, its a extra months money per year, surely wouldn't be a deciding factor when you are earning over £50 K a month ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Despite a few misgivings about his injury record in recent seasons, I like Joe Ralls and want him to stay at the club, but in what universe is £12k a week an unacceptable pay offer? Until I qualified for the state pension in February, that was about 95 per cent of my income for a year, so, sorry, but I have little sympathy for anyone who turns down a wage the huge majority of us could only dream about.
    People seem to have a mental 'reset' when discussing footballers' wages, they've become so inflated in recent years. Imagine looking at your 'payslip' and seeing "£50,000" in gross pay, every single month !

I’d seriously consider turning an extra £150k over three years down if I’d been offered in the region of £1.8 million over the same period by someone else - my point being, is there so much need to go chasing the money when you’re a millionaire a few times over?
    what if someone else is offering him 18k a week? I don't think I'd turn that down easily

what if someone else is offering him 18k a week? I don't think I'd turn that down easily
    Clearly, there’s a point for every one where you have to think of the money you’re being offered, but, if I were earning £12k a week and my family and I were happy with our lives, 18k wouldn’t be enough for me to automatically up sticks - an annual income of almost £600k, apparently, puts someone in the top 0.1 of the country salary wise.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...llion-says-ifs

I'm not even going to mention how much he actually receives out of £12K a week....

12K is decent money, especially for just an okay player.

We talk about championship wages, if it wasn't for Morison's cavalry coming in and turning our season round, thus boosting Ralls and his status, we would be playing League One and paying him league one wages.

The only reason that Ralls has been offered more by the club is because he is one of our better players and we know what we can expect from him.
    If he leaves then we need to replace him with somebody, even if it is a player with good credentials, it is still a risk.

That said, if Ralls is holding the club to ransom let him go I say. Sign or feck off!

Clearly, there’s a point for every one where you have to think of the money you’re being offered, but, if I were earning £12k a week and my family and I were happy with our lives, 18k wouldn’t be enough for me to automatically up sticks - an annual income of almost £600k, apparently, puts someone in the top 0.1 of the country salary wise.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...llion-says-ifs
    You my not but most would happily move for an extra £312k a year.

For a championship player that would be massive. Ignoring bonuses, signing on fees and the possibility that this club would probably be in a better position to challenge.

All made up numbers atm to be fair, but as said above by someone else, if he were staying I'd have thought it would be done by now.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while 150 K isn't to be sniffed at for us mere mortals, its about 3 months money for that type of contract, spread over the 3 years, its a extra months money per year, surely wouldn't be a deciding factor when you are earning over £50 K a month ? ? ?
    I agree, but in 6-7 years he’ll probably revert to being a mere mortal when retiring from football. It’s no surprise that footballers squeeze every penny they can, when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    In about 5 years time, Ralls will be earning 0 a week. So yes, I’d say £150k is important. This is his last big contract. The club has treated player after player like crap recently. If they threat Whitts like they did, they’ll treat anyone like dirt. It is no surprise Joe seems to be looking after number one.

This will be his last contract. If he can get more money somewhere else, he should take it. It's not like he's a star that will be showing up on the Sky TV panel when he retires. I've always rated him, but in over 10 years at the club he's played less than 300 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In about 5 years time, Ralls will be earning 0 a week. So yes, I’d say £150k is important. This is his last big contract. The club has treated player after player like crap recently. If they threat Whitts like they did, they’ll treat anyone like dirt. It is no surprise Joe seems to be looking after number one.
    who have they treated like crap?

It might take a while in this window for players and clubs to work out what the going rate for players of their age and standard is, so I wouldn't be surprised if players don't accept offers on the table and see what they can get elsewhere.

I don't get this argument, there is nothing to stop him from earning once he finishes with football, he'll be mid 30's, plenty of time to pull up his boot straps!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This will be his last contract. If he can get more money somewhere else, he should take it. It's not like he's a star that will be showing up on the Sky TV panel when he retires. I've always rated him, but in over 10 years at the club he's played less than 300 games.
    Whilst I agree he should be looking out for himself, he's played in over 300 games for Cardiff, considering his age when he arrived and a loan season not sure that's a stat to knock him with. Also, he can still work the best part of 30 years when he finishes playing so that's up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I don't get this argument, there is nothing to stop him from earning once he finishes with football, he'll be mid 30's, plenty of time to pull up his boot straps!
    Ralls has zero qualifications outside of football, and he will be in his mid 30s. If he wants to do something outside of football, he’s going to have to start at the bottom when he’s not really lived in the real world at all.

who have they treated like crap?
    Bamba and Whitts for a kick off

Bamba and Whitts for a kick off
    I don't think we treated bamba like crap. we gave him a year extension on his contract at the age of 34 was it? while he was still recovering from a cruciate ligament injury.

Ralls has zero qualifications outside of football, and he will be in his mid 30s. If he wants to do something outside of football, he’s going to have to start at the bottom when he’s not really lived in the real world at all.
    And? Like I said he's the best part of 30 years working ahead him, boot straps up!

I don't think we treated bamba like crap. we gave him a year extension on his contract at the age of 34 was it? while he was still recovering from a cruciate ligament injury.
    He found out on Sky Sports