+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Rumour on Twitter

https://twitter.com/TheCantonEnd/sta...57647565119490

"Joe Ralls was supposedly offered a 12k per week contract, his agent then asked for 14k per week which the club did offer.

The club proposed a 3 year deal and Ralls failed to sign the contract."

Re: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

I feel like it’s one of those where I’d like him to stay but we can’t just keep paying big wages. It is what it is and if he moves on so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I feel like it’s one of those where I’d like him to stay but we can’t just keep paying big wages. It is what it is and if he moves on so be it.
    If he has been offered 12k a week, that isn't big wages by Championship standards at all! There will be League One players on more money. The average Championship wage is 29k a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If he has been offered 12k a week, that isn't big wages by Championship standards at all! There will be League One players on more money. The average Championship wage is 29k a week.
    That average wage will plummet over the next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Potentially but 12k a week will not be "big money" for the the top earner in a Championship squad, especially one that Morison says is top 5 in the division.

Potentially but 12k a week will not be "big money" for the the top earner in a Championship squad, especially one that Morison says is top 5 in the division.
    If we can’t afford it, we can’t afford it

I dont think he merits more, good game every 4 or 5. It’s not enough

There'll be a 2 tier wage structure in football before long

Elite players will be on £1m a week and the championship players will be back on beer tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There'll be a 2 tier wage structure in football before long

Elite players will be on £1m a week and the championship players will be back on beer tokens.
    That was the way before George Best started playing and Man Utd thought it would be cheaper to pay him money.

No 14k isn’t big wages but I’m guesses he wants bigger wages. We need to cut back so if he can get more elsewhere which I think he will then so be it. His injury record does concern me for someone being one of our bigger earners.

he's probably got a better offer from elsewhere

Rumour on Twitter

"Joe Ralls was supposedly offered a 12k per week contract, his agent then asked for 14k per week which the club did offer.

He's probably leaving, let's be honest but this is a rumour, on a rumour mill twitter fan page, off a reddit page. It's hardly categorical evidence.

He's probably leaving, let's be honest but this is a rumour, on a rumour mill twitter fan page, off a reddit page. It's hardly categorical evidence.
    Indeed, why my first three words were "Rumour on Twitter".

That figure for average Championship wage surprised me. I didn’t think it was that high - and it will drop in coming years. When I did a few searches I came up with average wage figures ranging from £7k to £35k. No idea on the real number although there will clearly be a range from Academy graduates to established ‘stars’.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That figure for average Championship wage surprised me. I didn’t think it was that high - and it will drop in coming years. When I did a few searches I came up with average wage figures ranging from £7k to £35k. No idea on the real number although there will clearly be a range from Academy graduates to established ‘stars’.
    I think it'll be interesting to see how many clubs use more of their own young talent over the next few seasons. We could end up seeing record numbers of good players starting next season without clubs as they refuse contracts worth quite a bit less than they've been used to. There will be the hope that clubs then start panicking and find ways of paying a few grand more than they intended, but there won't be many and some players will be forced into substantially reducing their income.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I know of the wage of a single Championship player, who is captain of his club. He was on £8k per week in 20/21 and was approached by a Premier League club, so he received an improved deal & extension to increase to £14k for season 21/22, making him one of the top earners at the club. I know this information directly through his brother.

I know this is a sample size of just one but I can’t believe that it is totally misrepresentative.

Is that the mean or the median? I very much doubt that half the players in the Championship are being paid over £29k per week.

Being linked with Birmingham and Bristol here https://mobile.twitter.com/efl_hub/s...59951830724608

Ralls has been a good player for us, but I'm not convinced that making him highest-paid player in the squad on a three-year contract at this stage of his career would be a brilliant idea.

I was told this was pretty much done a few months back.. the fact it's still dragging on and the club are suggesting that 'its in Joe's hands now' almost seems like they're distancing themselves from it.

I suspect that he's the only player that Morison is relatively desperate to keep; as much for stability as anything else. We need a few bodies who are already settled. Hopefully they can iron it out.

Certainly dont think we are bargain basement shopping either, there's a couple of players we're apparently after who could presumably command decent wages elsewhere, so whilst not splashing cash on fees, I think we're competitive in terms of salaries for next season. Which again, makes me doubt that Ralls would get significantly more elsewhere

Rumour on Twitter

Decent wage and 3 years, easily afford his energy bills , if he can better that, best he looks for a deal that fits his expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I know of the wage of a single Championship player, who is captain of his club. He was on £8k per week in 20/21 and was approached by a Premier League club, so he received an improved deal & extension to increase to £14k for season 21/22, making him one of the top earners at the club. I know this information directly through his brother.

I know this is a sample size of just one but I can’t believe that it is totally misrepresentative.
    Think you're right on that average, if someone is on 35k that's madness at this level and explains why so many clubs are in trouble , I think a big wages levelling out exercise is upon most clubs, if not they are going bust .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think you're right on that average, if someone is on 35k that's madness at this level and explains why so many clubs are in trouble , I think a big wages levelling out exercise is upon most clubs, if not they are going bust .
    Liam Moore is supposedly on that at Reading

Despite a few misgivings about his injury record in recent seasons, I like Joe Ralls and want him to stay at the club, but in what universe is £12k a week an unacceptable pay offer? Until I qualified for the state pension in February, that was about 95 per cent of my income for a year, so, sorry, but I have little sympathy for anyone who turns down a wage the huge majority of us could only dream about.

The likelihood is that if he was happy with the offer he would have signed by now. Even if another club were to offer £1k a week more then that’s another £150k over a 3 yr deal, which anyone would be crazy to turn down.

My feeling is that he has been offered more elsewhere and is waiting to see if we can match that offer before the contact expiry.