+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Re: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ralls has zero qualifications outside of football, and he will be in his mid 30s. If he wants to do something outside of football, he’s going to have to start at the bottom when he’s not really lived in the real world at all.
    Do you know for a fact Ralls has zero qualifications outside football.?

Even if he hasnt im he should have enough in the bank to support himself to get qualifications for roles outside of football if he wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There'll be a 2 tier wage structure in football before long

Elite players will be on £1m a week and the championship players will be back on beer tokens.
    I wouldnt mind 12k a week in beer tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Do you know for a fact Ralls has zero qualifications outside football.?

Even if he hasnt im he should have enough in the bank to support himself to get qualifications for roles outside of football if he wishes.
    Almost all footballers have zero qualifications. They’ve been full time footballers since they were 16. There are sod all opportunities out there for young people, let alone 30+ with zero experience. If Ralls has the opportunity to make more money, he should absolutely take it.

Almost all footballers have zero qualifications. They’ve been full time footballers since they were 16. There are sod all opportunities out there for young people, let alone 30+ with zero experience. If Ralls has the opportunity to make more money, he should absolutely take it.
    Maybe he’ll take over his old man’s business. I wouldn’t be to concerned about life after football in rallsy’s case.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Maybe he’ll take over his old man’s business. I wouldn’t be to concerned about life after football in rallsy’s case.
    Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. People always say “they’re paid loads so it doesn’t matter”. If you could get double to do the same job you would. If you could get paid enough to never work again after, you would. When Ralls isn’t good enough, the club won’t think twice about moving him on. Ralls is just an example. There is no loyalty in football from clubs so I don’t see why we should expect it from players. I want Ralls to stay but you can’t blame him for looking around. It’s our fault we’ve let it get to this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    This is it, i'm pushing 50 and still trying to work out what i'm doing with my life

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    You my not but most would happily move for an extra £312k a year.

For a championship player that would be massive. Ignoring bonuses, signing on fees and the possibility that this club would probably be in a better position to challenge.

All made up numbers atm to be fair, but as said above by someone else, if he were staying I'd have thought it would be done by now.
    Someone who earned 1400 a month for their full time normal job is offered 2000 a month to dpnthe same job but move companies, you'd have to think most would take it. More things to consider, but put it to people in basic monetary terms and.more people take it than don't.

To us mere mortals the extra seems massive, but put it side by side and compare it with like for like pay increases for the same job and not many turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Someone who earned 1400 a month for their full time normal job is offered 2000 a month to dpnthe same job but move companies, you'd have to think most would take it. More things to consider, but put it to people in basic monetary terms and.more people take it than don't.

To us mere mortals the extra seems massive, but put it side by side and compare it with like for like pay increases for the same job and not many turn it down.
    For the likes of us in a reasonable commutable distance yes we would.

If he isn’t prepared to relocate or stay over too long thats far away - as the kids are settled in the area with schools etc. We are still very much a viable and maybe sensible option even at supposedly lower money than he may get further afield.

Thanks for 10 years service and all that but we Don’t owe him anything and there
    are able and willing replacements who would relish the prospect of coming to us.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    For the likes of us in a reasonable commutable distance yes we would.

If he isn’t prepared to relocate or stay over too long thats far away - as the kids are settled in the area with schools etc. We are still very much a viable and maybe sensible option even at supposedly lower money than he may get further afield.

Thanks for 10 years service and all that but we Don’t owe him anything and there
    are able and willing replacements who would relish the prospect of coming to us.
    I like Ralls, but I think football has to move on and I'm glad we are now being sensible with our wages and trying to sort out our finances.

I know lads in my line of work that swap companies for an extra quid an hour.

People try to point out the big money in football and say the extra 2k a week he may get elsewhere shouldn't matter when they earn such big money already, but you can't blame them for doing so, because in a like for like scenario most of us would be gone.

Potentially but 12k a week will not be "big money" for the the top earner in a Championship squad, especially one that Morison says is top 5 in the division.
    I dont think he merits more, good game every 4 or 5. It’s not enough

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I dont think he merits more, good game every 4 or 5. It’s not enough
    I couldn’t disagree more. Look at our results with Ralls, and without Ralls. He’s our best player, that’s why the club want to keep him. He’s a 7 out of 10 most weeks

I couldn’t disagree more. Look at our results with Ralls, and without Ralls. He’s our best player, that’s why the club want to keep him. He’s a 7 out of 10 most weeks
    I agree, I'll be disappointed if we lose Joe - Mr Consistency.

International

with regard to average wages I happen to know that when he was Captain Darren Purse was on £26K a week and he was the highest paid footballer in the club. That equates to about £37K today.
    Since then we have had the banking collapse and various other things. I think that todays average will be not much higher than it was then, and probably lower in purchasing power.
    And if it's true to this club it will probably be true for many others too.
    Plus paying over the odds could get a club into a fight over the financial limitations today.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I like Ralls, but I think football has to move on and I'm glad we are now being sensible with our wages and trying to sort out our finances.

I know lads in my line of work that swap companies for an extra quid an hour.

People try to point out the big money in football and say the extra 2k a week he may get elsewhere shouldn't matter when they earn such big money already, but you can't blame them for doing so, because in a like for like scenario most of us would be gone.
    Totally agree a refresh, for both the club and player all need to to move on from all the past players wages and ways of playing if we are to develop a new style built around young modern players and tactics .

Keeping someone on high wages for being Mr Consistency doesn't make commercial sense

Everyone can be replaced .

I like Ralls but if we’re truly looking to change the way we play, he should be one of many to leave. Fresh start for all please.

I hope he stays, but only if it can be done within the new wage structure

Footballers are essentially contractors, and like many contractors, are rewarded based on performance. I hope that he can squeeze as much as possible, wherever he ends up. Good luck Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Is that the mean or the median? I very much doubt that half the players in the Championship are being paid over £29k per week.
    Spoken like a true statistician... I love it.

I figure that's got to be the mean. Massive wages of clubs that have been recently relegated would hugely inflate the mean (100k a week for Mitrovic for example); I bet the median would be a good deal less than 29k as every club that hasn't got parachute payments is reigning in the spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post

I figure that's got to be the mean. Massive wages of clubs that have been recently relegated would hugely inflate the mean (100k a week for Mitrovic for example); I bet the median would be a good deal less than 29k as every club that hasn't got parachute payments is reigning in the spending.
    I would be amazed if 29k per week is the mean wage in the division

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post

That's what I was thinking.