+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extraordinary stuff on Russian television.

Extraordinary stuff on Russian television.

Being optimistic, is this a sign of a change of tack from Russia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61484222

Re: Extraordinary stuff on Russian television.

Very brave of that commentator, if that wasn’t sanctioned by the leadership!

He's right, though. They (Russia) need to find a way out of their situation, before it gets any worse. Not only is their military being shown up as outdated and ineffective, but they're becoming a bit of a laughing stock.

Already discussed on another current thread, Bob.

The effect of the pending economic decline in Russia will be interesting when compared with any perceived gains that Putin will try to spin.
    And the Russians will be more dependent on the Chinese for IT (and a lot else) than they were prior to the 'Special Operation'.

Probably scripted. "We would have won but there are 42 countries ganging up against us".

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Probably scripted. "We would have won but there are 42 countries ganging up against us".
    42?
    Is he using the Risk game board instead of an atlas for his information?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    42?
    Is he using the Risk game board instead of an atlas for his information?
    I'm taking the official line:

"The situation cannot be considered normal when against us, there is a coalition of 42 countries and when our resources, military-political and military-technical, are limited."

As the gentleman's presence on the programme must have been officially sanctioned perhaps it's a sign that shortfalls are being recognised by Putin but, like most despots, he will blame his underlings for them. He's ex-KGB and knows every trick in the book: take responsibility for successes and denounce failings as the responsibility of others.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Being optimistic, is this a sign of a change of tack from Russia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61484222
    listening to R4 this am, the consensus was that this is the regime readying the Russian people for what is to come when the Russians withdraw.

I posted this brave act a while back and they are very unforgiving when it comes to woman

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...a-ovsyannikova

and this is a crazy way to leave Russia

Leader of Pussy Riot Band Escapes Russia, With Help From Friends
    After more than a decade of activism, Maria Alyokhina disguised herself as a food courier to evade the police — and a widening crackdown by President Vladimir Putin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/w...ia-escape.html

What an awful country it is , so many poisoned for speaking out , how anyone can defend them is beyond my thought process , but folk do even in this country and worse even in France and Germany with their anti western / NATO rhetoric

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    listening to R4 this am, the consensus was that this is the regime readying the Russian people for what is to come when the Russians withdraw.
    Well we are now impacting food / cattle feed on those very countries they are trying to engage with in poor parts of African and Middle East countries , where they try and buy their influence not humanitarian aid .

At what time was that? The comment made by the BBC reporter at 0740 referred to bad news possibly being promulgated to the Russian public to limit their expectations but not about a withdrawal as such. For my part, I can't see the Russians giving up the areas they occupied before the full-scale invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    At what time was that? The comment made by the BBC reporter at 0740 referred to bad news possibly being promulgated to the Russian public to limit their expectations but not about a withdrawal as such. For my part, I can't see the Russians giving up the areas they occupied before the full-scale invasion.
    yeah I think you're probably right.

I think they'll keep Crimea and the Donbas and probably a land bridge between the two. This can be presented as a success in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yeah I think you're probably right.

I think they'll keep Crimea and the Donbas and probably a land bridge between the two. This can be presented as a success in Russia.
    Indeed. I have thought throughout that the Russians will have increased their land-grab when the dust settles. Not as much as they had hoped, of course. The Ukranians desperately need to hold on to Odesa and I think they will.

If it wasn't for the devastation and loss of life on both sides I'd almost believe their attempt to capture Kiev was just a ploy so that when they eventually pulled back to the east and south, even some Ukrainians may be relieved that that's all they have taken. Old politicians trick.

Considering the cluster **** it has been though I think they just badly misjudged the resistance, the level of weaponry being supplied and the strength of their own forces.

This guy on TV was given pretty decent airtime. Can only assume it was agreed that these were the points he would make.

that was the bit I was referring to. By withdraw I didn't mean withdrew to their anti bellum position, just meant withdraw from the war.

I cannot see Zelenskyy or the Ukranians agree to give up any land, and will fight for it. Ukraine now have an army of 1m men that are well armed and capable of inflicting serious damage to Putin's conscripts.

that was the bit I was referring to. By withdraw I didn't mean withdrew to their anti bellum position, just meant withdraw from the war.

I cannot see Zelenskyy or the Ukranians agree to give up any land, and will fight for it. Ukraine now have an army of 1m men that are well armed and capable of inflicting serious damage to Putin's conscripts.
    It'd be gret if they went anti bellum

It'd be gret if they went anti bellum
    Is that meant to be funny?
    I've been involved with Ukranians who have recently arrived in the UK and a lady I spoke to today, and who had her 6-year-old son with her, told me about them having to live underground in the Western Donbas for a month.

As the gentleman's presence on the programme must have been officially sanctioned perhaps it's a sign that shortfalls are being recognised by Putin but, like most despots, he will blame his underlings for them. He's ex-KGB and knows every trick in the book: take responsibility for successes and denounce failings as the responsibility of others.
    Sounds like Warnock

I can't believe that all the money at stake, he hasn't been taken out yet. I thought he would have been gone weeks ago.

Is that meant to be funny?
    I was certainly not making any fun of the situation. It's appalling. It's why our house is open to Ukrainian refugees.

I was certainly not making any fun of the situation. It's appalling. It's why our house is open to Ukrainian refugees.
    Good man.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can't believe that all the money at stake, he hasn't been taken out yet. I thought he would have been gone weeks ago.
    He's got a double like Raymond Reddington

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    He's got a double like Raymond Reddington
    He's got a double? I gave up watching that show after season 1. Did they ever reveal what his relationship to that really annoying woman is?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's got a double? I gave up watching that show after season 1. Did they ever reveal what his relationship to that really annoying woman is?
    I got as far as him being an impostor, and the real Reds bones being found..so not actually a double no, my other post therefore makes **** all sense.

Yes he was her father