+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current squad

Re: Current squad

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I reckon we’re still 5 short, especially if he follows last season’s model.
    2 CB or 1 plus Morrison
    1 attacking CM
    2 CF to replace Hugill & Ikpeazu. We haven’t replaced Moore & desperately need to do so.
    If we could get Doyle back, that would be great. We need someone that can pick a pass. If we can get a left footed centre back, that would be great. I wonder if we are in for Matt Clarke at Brighton. If we are going to play 3 at the back, it really helps to have someone left footed. I think we’ll try to get at least 3 of those 5 above in as loans

My wishlist:

1x CB (if Morrison doesn't recover / re-sign, I think he leaves behind a big hole at the back. None of Nelson, McGuiness, Ng has reached his consistency before)
    1x CAM (some creativity PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)
    1x Winger (would feel much better if not heavily relying on O'Dowda (average) / Tanner (complete unknown))
    2x ST (not Hugill for me. Not as anything more than a 3rd/4th choice. Hell I'd rather give Zimba a go! Need to be aiming way higher than starting Hugill if we want to be a playoff team)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    My wishlist:

1x CB (if Morrison doesn't recover / re-sign, I think he leaves behind a big hole at the back. None of Nelson, McGuiness, Ng has reached his consistency before)
    1x CAM (some creativity PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)
    1x Winger (would feel much better if not heavily relying on O'Dowda (average) / Tanner (complete unknown))
    2x ST (not Hugill for me. Not as anything more than a 3rd/4th choice. Hell I'd rather give Zimba a go! Need to be aiming way higher than starting Hugill if we want to be a playoff team)
    are you expecting to be a playoff team this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I go into every season thinking that is the aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I go into every season thinking that is the aim.
    I wasn't last season and I'm not this season unless we pull a couple of incredible signings out of the bag in the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We should aim to be, the division is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We should aim to be, the division is crap.
    Sure we should try to be. but I'm not expecting it - a lot would have to fall into place for that to happen

Hugill will be backing up Pukki at Norwich but I'd like to think we can do better. He started well but he's a bit of a carthorse.
    I think that's a bit harsh. He's strong, he works hard and he's a good finisher. We could do better, but we could do a lot worse. He was the best centre forward at the club last season.

Havent seen enough of him but could Eli King step up and claim a place.?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh. He's strong, he works hard and he's a good finisher. We could do better, but we could do a lot worse. He was the best centre forward at the club last season.
    Yeh the season when Aden Flint was our top goal scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Havent seen enough of him but could Eli King step up and claim a place.?
    Yeah I hope so, the assistl at the end of the season was really nicely taken. And he was still only 18 at the start of last season so a couple of years younger than some of the other young players

Unless we sign a couple of strikers and a creative midfielder it's going to be a long season yet again.
    Let's pray for some decent loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Unless we sign a couple of strikers and a creative midfielder it's going to be a long season yet again.
    Completely agree. This team as it is isn’t going anywhere. But I do believe there’s a plan, a PowerPoint presentation and room for more signings. Will reserve my judgement for when the recruiting job is done. Because more work is needed in those important areas you mention.

Agreed.

Now that the excitement of Bale-gate has subsided, we have a squad of freebies many of whom I have never heard of plus some Championship players.

We all have our fingers crossed but some inspired loan signings are needed to bolster what could be either a brilliant (hopefully) or disastrous squad.

One thing that is blatantly clear though is that a squad relying on Harris, Collins and Watters to put the ball in the back of the net is going to struggle for goals…..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Agreed.

Now that the excitement of Bale-gate has subsided, we have a squad of freebies many of whom I have never heard of plus some Championship players.

We all have our fingers crossed but some inspired loan signings are needed to bolster what could be either a brilliant (hopefully) or disastrous squad.

One thing that is blatantly clear though is that a squad relying on Harris, Collins and Watters to put the ball in the back of the net is going to struggle for goals…..
    I agree but I’d bet good money we will see at least 2 strikers come in. Morison brought in two in January to play ahead of Harris, Watters and Collins so no reason to think he now rates them. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Watters and Collins leave and 3 strikers brought in tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I agree but I’d bet good money we will see at least 2 strikers come in. Morison brought in two in January to play ahead of Harris, Watters and Collins so no reason to think he now rates them. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Watters and Collins leave and 3 strikers brought in tbh.
    True. And I thought that Hugill was a vast improvement on any other striker that we had at the time.

Where do we think Isaak Davies fits in, Centre forward or wider? There’s a good player in there to be developed

This is the most uninspiring, average looking Championship squad I can remember us having.

He did well in the loan market last year and hopefully the big clubs will see that and send someone decent our way again.

We aren't spending money and those that do their work at that end of the pitch are more expensive. Makes sense that we loan those in.

True. And I thought that Hugill was a vast improvement on any other striker that we had at the time.
    Certainly and the Boro lad whose name I can’t spell although probably not the type of player we are looking for now he fitted the bill as someone to mix things up and got some important goals.

I do wonder if he’s filled the other positions knowing whatever it’s left in the budget is for upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Certainly and the Boro lad whose name I can’t spell although probably not the type of player we are looking for now he fitted the bill as someone to mix things up and got some important goals.

I do wonder if he’s filled the other positions knowing whatever it’s left in the budget is for upfront.
    Yep, you are right and hopefully correct on the second point too.

Yep, you are right and hopefully correct on the second point too.
    Yes I think it's right, we've spent very little (£0) filling the rest of the squad, so we can save the rest to spend on the attacking positions (also £0)

We have cover and competition in most positions
    With Davies playing as a winger, I'd like to see another left winger , a centre half and 3 forwards bought in on loan.
    Still a few to move on, Collins, Watters, Whyte and Sang, and hopefully get a fee for Phillips.

Whatever happens it looks like we are shaping up to play 451, with pace and energy, something we haven't seen for a good few seasons

Bumping this, as it is a football thread...

Sang and Whyte aren't in Scotland with the first team. Luthra is 4th choice keeper. Wonder if we will see more exits, now Kieron Evans has gone on loan today.

Sang and Whyte aren't in Scotland with the first team. Luthra is 4th choice keeper. Wonder if we will see more exits, now Kieron Evans has gone on loan today.
    I’m a little surprised that Morison isn’t taking a closer look at Whyte. After all, he runs around a lot. He must have another club lined up.

I’m guessing Morison is going to try to use the loan market for strikers again. Have City been seriously linked with any strikers yet? Not sure, but I don’t think so.