+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beeb is influenced by lefties...

The Beeb is influenced by lefties...

Re: The Beeb is influenced by lefties...

Suella Braverman saying "lefties" in Parliament this week is one of the cringiest things that I have ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    is that the same grundian that had us all clutching our pearl necklaces because they reported david attenbrough had been cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Suella Braverman saying "lefties" in Parliament this week is one of the cringiest things that I have ever witnessed.
    And yet , anybody with an opinion which differs from the narrative is called right wing by posters like you which is the cringiest about this board.

Let’s hope you cherish free speech and don’t ask Mike to remove the post

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    And yet , anybody with an opinion which differs from the narrative is called right wing by posters like you which is the cringiest about this board.

The narrative? You are aware we have a massively right wing government and the majority of newspapers in this country are also massively right wing?

Yet you act like the victim constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    is that the same grundian that had us all clutching our pearl necklaces because they reported david attenbrough had been cancelled
    The problem is that the events of the last few days have shown that the scenario was/is entirely believable under the current management of the BBC. Rather than you playing the sort of party political games on here that you accuse those on the left of doing, an acknowledgment that political interference from Governments of the right or left shouldn't be allowed when it comes to appointments of Director Generals, Chairmen/women etc. at the BBC and that it should be down to the same sort of independent person/body which is supposed to be conducting the inquiry into impartiality wouldn't go amiss..

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    The narrative? You are aware we have a massively right wing government and the majority of newspapers in this country are also massively right wing?

A victim because of a football message board..,..that’s a new one I’ll give you that

You are taking things far too seriously.

A victim because of a football message board..,..that’s a new one I’ll give you that

You are taking things far too seriously.
    Says the child that gets so wound up on a football message board that he calls other posters a c*nt during his little tantrums

You were on a wind up during your passive aggressive rants and I fell for it rather than ignoring for which I apologised. That’s your style and why I usually ignore you.

As long as your wind ups are what you would say face to face then there is no problem is there.

You were on a wind up during your passive aggressive rants and I fell for it rather than ignoring for which I apologised. That’s your style and why I usually ignore you.

As long as your wind ups are what you would say face to face then there is no problem is there.
    There he goes again.

Calm down mate. It's just a football messageboard, remember?

Both of those things are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The BBC absolutely should not bow down to political pressure, we all agree on that. I'm not sure this is quite what the guardian thinks it is though. Govts will always put pressure on the media in terms of language. If it wasn't called a lockdown, then when it's a public health message is it right to call it such? I dunno.

The second point appears more damning but it is pretty routine for media editors etc to suggest more focus on different things, the question is how much that was steered by downing st. A good BBC wouldnt need advising that Labour were changing their position daily anyway.

The last point appears to be nonsense but every guardian has to get a dig about Brexit in to drive up advertising revenue by enraging a few people.

It's a useful article in the wider debate about BBC impartiality but I'm not sure it's killer evidence.

My issue is more the editorial decisions and news values on what they report on. I don't think there is a party political bias and we can see that with BBC Wales that does a decent job of holding the (Labour) Welsh Govt to account

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You're completely delusional.

The BBC absolutely should not bow down to political pressure, we all agree on that. I'm not sure this is quite what the guardian thinks it is though. Govts will always put pressure on the media in terms of language. If it wasn't called a lockdown, then when it's a public health message is it right to call it such? I dunno.

The second point appears more damning but it is pretty routine for media editors etc to suggest more focus on different things, the question is how much that was steered by downing st. A good BBC wouldnt need advising that Labour were changing their position daily anyway.

The last point appears to be nonsense but every guardian has to get a dig about Brexit in to drive up advertising revenue.

It's a useful article in the wider debate about BBC impartiality but I'm not sure it's killer evidence.

My issue is more the editorial decisions and news values on what they report on. I don't think there is a party political bias and we can see that with BBC Wales that does a decent job of holding the (Labour) Welsh Govt to account
    "it is pretty routine for media editors etc to suggest more focus on different things".

That part is correct but media editors don't have to remain impartial at other news outlets/broadcasters.

The message read:

"D St complaining that we’re not reflecting Labour’s mess of plan b online. ie Ashworth said it earlier this week, then reversed. Can we turn up the scepticism a bit on this?”

'Downing Street' complained about a lack of focus of negativity on Labour from the BBC so a senior editor kowtowed to them and told his staff to be more critical.

For what it's worth, I've always felt that the BBC were pretty balanced in terms of news coverage.

The left & right equally complain that it's biased - which, on the balance of probability, shows that they generally do a good job - but how much more damning testimony do you personally need to see that this incarnation of the BBC is in cahoots with the Tory government?

It makes sense since he is the alter ego of Blippy Evans, allegedly.

There he goes again.

Calm down mate. It's just a football messageboard, remember?
    For once I agree with you Cyril

You're completely delusional.
    No I just don't like hyperbole. Notwithstanding the fact that accurately defining left and right is very tricky, how do we have a 'massively' right-wing government? We don't. Some policies may be considered right-wing, some left-wing. That's probably the case for every government in the world dealing with practical problems.

And whilst by a slim margin the majority of newspapers (only one sector of the media if course and a declining one at that) are centre-right or right- wing, that doesn't mean a majority are 'massively right&wing' at all.

The debate just spirals out of the realms of reality when people exaggerate these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For once I agree with you Cyril
    It's Mr Awaydays to you.

The obsessive trait he shares with Blippy is a dead giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The obsessive trait he shares with Blippy is a dead giveaway.
    Coming from a poster who mentions "Cyril and Lardy" 50x per day, I guess you know what an obsessive trait is first hand.

Thanks Wales Bales, you made me giggle

Coming from a poster who mentions "Cyril and Lardy" 50x per day, I guess you know what an obsessive trait is first hand.

Thanks Wales Bales, you made me giggle
    Hey Blippy, it's Lardy & Cyril™

The last point appears to be nonsense but every guardian has to get a dig about Brexit in to drive up advertising revenue by enraging a few people.

I threw the article in primarily for consideration and discussion.

I don't see the Beeb being a government propaganda source by any stretch...

I think it's interesting that a government may comment, suggest or advice on vocabulary, content and specific parts of a political item to make itself look better or mask the story and issue?

I know it's today's politics but what sort of governments or controlling parties historically have attempted to influence, direct and contain press/media output?

These days granted it seems the norm in a number of countries?

oh come on. The biggest selling dailies are right wing. This government is right wing, you'd only think otherwise if you believe the orphan crushing machine is necessary.

No I just don't like hyperbole. Notwithstanding the fact that accurately defining left and right is very tricky, how do we have a 'massively' right-wing government? We don't. Some policies may be considered right-wing, some left-wing. That's probably the case for every government in the world dealing with practical problems.

And whilst by a slim margin the majority of newspapers (only one sector of the media if course and a declining one at that) are centre-right or right- wing, that doesn't mean a majority are 'massively right&wing' at all.

The debate just spirals out of the realms of reality when people exaggerate these things.
    Can you let us have a list of this Government’s left wing policies (not including Covid “hand outs”) please.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can you let us have a list of this Government’s left wing policies (not including Covid “hand outs”) please.
    Sure! I don’t see all of these as necessarily left wing btw, as the right would claim moral ownership over many of these, but unquestionably they are topics that people on the left would typically reference and rightly support. So, excluding the greatest universal support package in the history of the country (related to Covid) off the top of my head, I would note the following:

Record investment in the universal healthcare NHS

Record rises in the minimum wage

Equalising immigration laws, rising to record high immigration levels

Enormous is increase in renewable energy production and reduction in fossil fuel use

Support for Ukraine against Russian invasion

Marriage equality

Ensuring the result of a referendum was enacted

Raising the top rate of tax

Lowering the threshold for the top rare of tax

Producing the first non-white prime minister in history

Providing direct support for refugees from Hong Kong, Afghanistan and Ukraine

Energy support scheme knocking £60 a month off everyones bills.

Increasing corporation tax.

There are counter examples of course, and people can question whether all of these have worked, but my point isn’t that the government are left-wing, it’s that they are not ‘massively right wing’, as was claimed earlier.

Is there really that much to distinguish them from Blairs New Labour?

Either way, whether it's posters here or TV pundits, I just don't see the benefit in using exaggerated language really