+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great article on Ollie Tanner

Great article on Ollie Tanner

Re: Great article on Ollie Tanner

Seems a really genuine, level-headed player. Lewes FC also are clearly happy for him. Welcome to the Bluebirds, Ollie.

StT.
    <><

Excited by this, and it reflects well on Morison as well to be fair. Looking forward to seeing him play!

Nice read that.

We have missed having bags of pace in the team, it's one to get excited about (in my opinion) because of the potential, and because we need pace!!!!

There is a look of Bale to him in some of those videos I’ve seen, but, as the article points out, this is at what is, effectively, seventh tier level. Nevertheless, it seems clear that there were plenty of clubs after Ollie Tanner and the fact he chose Cardiff should be seen as something of a coup for all concerned - this seems like a signing we wouldn’t have made under some of our recent managers.

great piece, looks exciting and something we have been crying out for, a youngster who excites us when playing

what's great about that article imho is this :

"He turned Spurs down and the blowback from that was unbelievable. It was carnage," Russell said. "The private messages he was getting, the threats, it was so, so bad. He was getting death threats. It was stupid, saying they were going to come around his house and do this and that to him.

"We have someone at the club who looks after the players' welfare, she emailed me and told me to tell Ollie to contact her. I phoned Ollie and he just said, 'No, it's fine. I'll just stay off social media for a bit and shut the app down'. It never seemed to bother him.

"It's easy to look at him, he wears the Alice band because he's got that hair, you might these arrogant, but he's not. He is just a young man and he loves football.

"Some of the online abuse he got, no matter what age you are, that would affect you. But it didn't affect him one bit. He's very mature."

while of course its sad he got abuse and death threats, the lad was mature and sensible enough to just say " its ok, I'll just stay of social media ", credit to the lad for that

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    great piece, looks exciting and something we have been crying out for, a youngster who excites us when playing

what's great about that article imho is this :

"He turned Spurs down and the blowback from that was unbelievable. It was carnage," Russell said. "The private messages he was getting, the threats, it was so, so bad. He was getting death threats. It was stupid, saying they were going to come around his house and do this and that to him.

"We have someone at the club who looks after the players' welfare, she emailed me and told me to tell Ollie to contact her. I phoned Ollie and he just said, 'No, it's fine. I'll just stay off social media for a bit and shut the app down'. It never seemed to bother him.

"It's easy to look at him, he wears the Alice band because he's got that hair, you might these arrogant, but he's not. He is just a young man and he loves football.

"Some of the online abuse he got, no matter what age you are, that would affect you. But it didn't affect him one bit. He's very mature."

while of course its sad he got abuse and death threats, the lad was mature and sensible enough to just say " its ok, I'll just stay of social media ", credit to the lad for that
    Didn't he mock Kanes speech impediment? Also an arsenal fan?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Didn't he mock Kanes speech impediment? Also an arsenal fan?
    Yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Yes and yes
    Explains the abuse then doesn't it.

Doesn't matter now though, it's long in the past and he's our player now so all the best to him.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Great article, you never no with any signing but if thats half true, it looks like we could have made a great signing, you can't beat a strong determined winger that wants to run at the opposition at every opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Great article, you never no with any signing but if thats half true, it looks like we could have made a great signing, you can't beat a strong determined winger that wants to run at the opposition at every opportunity!
    Something to look forward to

I'm sure I'll get some grief for saying this, but that article goes way over the top.

This lad is a 20 year-old. He's thus far made two brief sub appearances for Bromley in the National League back in 2019 which totalled less than a quarter of an hour, and he's apparently had a good season at Lewes, who finished 7th in the Isthmian League Premier Division. Meanwhile, the manager who is waxing so lyrical about him has previously managed Erith Town, VCD Athletic and Cray Wanderers.

There is no doubt that Tanner looks a decent prospect and he could turn out to be anything at all, but at this stage comparisons to Gareth Bale and predictions that he'll go right to the top of the game seem pretty daft under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm sure I'll get some grief for saying this, but that article goes way over the top.

This lad is a 20 year-old. He's thus far made two brief sub appearances for Bromley in the National League back in 2019 which totalled less than a quarter of an hour, and he's apparently had a good season at Lewes, who finished 7th in the Isthmian League Premier Division. Meanwhile, the manager who is waxing so lyrical about him has previously managed Erith Town, VCD Athletic and Cray Wanderers.

There is no doubt that Tanner looks a decent prospect and he could turn out to be anything at all, but at this stage comparisons to Gareth Bale and predictions that he'll go right to the top of the game seem pretty daft under the circumstances.
    Why did he come here? Money maybe ?Everyone would have known about him, so strange that no one else took it further.

I agree. But for now I'm happy with hope instead of expectation.

Sounds like Chris Fry

But without a daft haircut

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Why did he come here? Money maybe ?Everyone would have known about him, so strange that no one else took it further.
    Because for some strange reason he was impressed by the manager, training facilities, stadium and the club in general and wanted to play for us. Pity some of our fans cant have a similar attitude. His manager at Lewes also makes it quite clear that other Premier League and Championship clubs were in for him NOW but he chose us.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sounds like Chris Fry

Chris Fry is a delivery driver now. Just thought that i'd throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Chris Fry is a delivery driver now. Just thought that i'd throw that in.
    Turkish Delights?

Sounds like Chris Fry

You like his hairband look then.😂

Who remembers Chris frys blistering run and cross for pikey to knock it in to win up at Huddersfield?

Great debut goal by Cohen Griffith too

Who remembers Chris frys blistering run and cross for pikey to knock it in to win up at Huddersfield?

Great debut goal by Cohen Griffith too
    Gavin Ward made his debut as well? got a good story about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gavin Ward made his debut as well? got a good story about that.
    Go on then

Loved Leeds Road , proper football ground

We know that Spurs were very interested, so he must have something about him, yes I am aware prem teams sign loads of these " prospects " in the hope one comes good

I would prefer us to be signing young players to get excited about rather than players coming just for a final payday at the end of their careers , most of us fans have been crying out for us to look at youth and build from that

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Because for some strange reason he was impressed by the manager, training facilities, stadium and the club in general and wanted to play for us. Pity some of our fans cant have a similar attitude. His manager at Lewes also makes it quite clear that other Premier League and Championship clubs were in for him NOW but he chose us.
    you know the CCMB rules, no positivity allows on here except for a Thursday that falls on the 31st of the month

I honestly don't know why some people bother supporting Cardiff City

Every day is like Sunday!

Jesus christ