+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing a bunch of misfits

Signing a bunch of misfits

Will even end really well, or terribly

I hope a shit load of scouting has gone into this. These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the last few years, totally up in the air how they will do.

Re: Signing a bunch of misfits

I'm sure they will become world beaters

I'm hopeful SM will get the right balance of youth, experience and talent but not expecting miracles from Day 1. Certainly different from anything that's gone before though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Will even end really well, or terribly

I hope a shit load of scouting has gone into this. These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the last few years, totally up in the air how they will do.
    I know you weren’t being entirely serious, but I’d say “misfits” is a bit harsh. Adams and Alnwick have had modest careers, but their trajectory has definitely been upwards in recent years and, as others have said, the comments from fans of the clubs they’ve just left suggest we may have done some good business in both cases.

With Tanner, TLG chose to concentrate on a career trajectory which was clearly going downwards as evidenced by him signing for Lewes because he couldn’t get a game for Bromley. He’s not wrong about that, but, even if, as I’m inclined to do, you treat what the Lewes manager says in that Wales Online article as hype, it is a fact that Tottenham wanted to sign him four months ago and it seems clear that there were other clubs at our level, and maybe higher, who were interested in him.

As for Collins, a twenty seven, soon to be twenty eight, year old who has won twenty five caps for the side ranked thirtieth in the world is suggestive of, if not a top flight player, someone who can cope with the second tier.

The law of averages says that quite a high proportion of the signings we make in the next few months will turn out to be duds, but I think we should at least wait until we’ve played our pre season games before being too judgmental- I’d give Morison and co a seven out of ten for the business they did in January and if they can manage the same in the summer transfer window, then I’d like to think we will move forward from last season.

I’m still waiting for the exciting signings we’ve been promised. I’ve seen Adams play & he’ll cope at Championship level no problem. Should be another 8-10;signings so still time for the absent emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know you weren’t being entirely serious, but I’d say “misfits” is a bit harsh. Adams and Alnwick have had modest careers, but their trajectory has definitely been upwards in recent years and, as others have said, the comments from fans of the clubs they’ve just left suggest we may have done some good business in both cases.

With Tanner, TLG chose to concentrate on a career trajectory which was clearly going downwards as evidenced by him signing for Lewes because he couldn’t get a game for Bromley. He’s not wrong about that, but, even if, as I’m inclined to do, you treat what the Lewes manager says in that Wales Online article as hype, it is a fact that Tottenham wanted to sign him four months ago and it seems clear that there were other clubs at our level, and maybe higher, who were interested in him.

As for Collins, a twenty seven, soon to be twenty eight, year old who has won twenty five caps for the side ranked thirtieth in the world is suggestive of, if not a top flight player, someone who can cope with the second tier.

The law of averages says that quite a high proportion of the signings we make in the next few months will turn out to be duds, but I think we should at least wait until we’ve played our pre season games before being too judgmental- I’d give Morison and co a seven out of ten for the business they did in January and if they can manage the same in the summer transfer window, then I’d like to think we will move forward from last season.
    Looking forward to see how they all get on. It'll be interesting to see how patient SM will be with them. He's made some pretty decisive team changes and substitutions during matches. Will it change for "his" players? I suspect not.

I’m cautiously optimistic and I believe we’re getting the freebies/cheapos in early. Bale after playoff game. And 1-2 big money signings (by our recent standards) at the tail end of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I’m cautiously optimistic and I believe we’re getting the freebies/cheapos in early. Bale after playoff game. And 1-2 big money signings (by our recent standards) at the tail end of the window.
    Plus. Some decent loan signings from PL clubs

Don't know much about the left back, but the other three are pretty solid Championship signings with a bit of extra hope with Tanner. Premiership loans and maybe one or two bigger signings will add the quality.

We needed to sign at least 10 players, they weren't all going to be blue riband signings, particularly the early ones.

Signing players none of us have any right to comment on yet so stop being so fecking miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Signing players none of us have any right to comment on yet so stop being so fecking miserable.
    We can all comment on who we want, when we want. I appreciate you have a massive throbbing hard-on for Morison, but for Christ’s sake stop being so precious all the time. You’re coming across as a right tart recently.

From what Morison's been saying it sounds like we're actually scouting like a 21st century football club now - using stats and a more scientific approach, so I'm hopeful the majority of our summer signings will be good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    You tell em mate

Miserable moaning drab bunch of soppy whingers

It's like trying to wake the dead

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Plus. Some decent loan signings from PL clubs
    Here's hopin'

Watching the Championship play offs it was so noticeable how well the clubs had done with loans from PL clubs. If our squad begins to take on a more 'technical' look then that's where the PL managers want to send their players. Morison has a better record that his predecessors and hopefully will used up his 8 options with real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    From what Morison's been saying it sounds like we're actually scouting like a 21st century football club now - using stats and a more scientific approach, so I'm hopeful the majority of our summer signings will be good ones.
    it also seems to me (based on not very much, and quite possibly 2+2=5) that the manager is playing a much more reduced role in the recruitment process, and I think that's probably a good thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it also seems to me (based on not very much, and quite possibly 2+2=5) that the manager is playing a much more reduced role in the recruitment process, and I think that's probably a good thing .
    More importantly, the CCFC transfer committee appears to be a thing of the past, which would definitely be a good thing.

The fact that Ken Choo hasn’t appeared in any of the recent transfer photo shoots is interesting. Whether that means anything in reality remains to be seen, but I sense the club’s hierarchy are playing a much less prominent role in the recruitment process.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Malky used that approach

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    We can all comment on who we want, when we want. I appreciate you have a massive throbbing hard-on for Morison, but for Christ’s sake stop being so precious all the time. You’re coming across as a right tart recently.
    I don’t think he does at all. He’s just feeling upbeat about the signings so far.

More importantly, the CCFC transfer committee appears to be a thing of the past, which would definitely be a good thing.

The fact that Ken Choo hasn’t appeared in any of the recent transfer photo shoots is interesting. Whether that means anything in reality remains to be seen, but I sense the club’s hierarchy are playing a much less prominent role in the recruitment process.
    I don't think they ever played much of a role, other than rubber stamping the managers signings if the funds were there.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I don’t think he does at all. He’s just feeling upbeat about the signings so far.
    Recently, Underhill is spending far more time grizzling about the views of others than actually expressing any views himself. It’s tiresome.

We have no right to have opinions about the signings? Utter bollocks.

Recently, Underhill is spending far more time grizzling about the views of others than actually expressing any views himself. It’s tiresome.

We have no right to have opinions about the signings? Utter bollocks.
    You are negative more often than you are positive.

That's also tiresome.

Obviously you're welcome to post what the **** you like.

😅😅😅 you know me Dave. I’ll always call out rampant negativity for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think they ever played much of a role, other than rubber stamping the managers signings if the funds were there.
    If Bale did sign would there be a big enough room down the City to fit every in for the photo shoot?

As for my views on the players, I’ll judge them once I’ve seen them play, and not negatively speculate for no reason whatsoever.