+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signing a bunch of misfits

Re: Signing a bunch of misfits

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    From what Morison's been saying it sounds like we're actually scouting like a 21st century football club now - using stats and a more scientific approach, so I'm hopeful the majority of our summer signings will be good ones.
    You'd at least hope that there is some science to it, otherwise it really IS all a bit desperate! How else can you account for the the club signing players that most of us have never heard of?

I'm looking forward to how it turns out - I always assume that a new player will be like Wintle-type signing until they turn out to be like a Madine-type signing

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    You'd at least hope that there is some science to it, otherwise it really IS all a bit desperate! How else can you account for the the club signing players that most of us have never heard of?

I'm looking forward to how it turns out - I always assume that a new player will be like Wintle-type signing until they turn out to be like a Madine-type signing
    To be fair Morison inherited a very poor squad, which needs a lot of sorting.
    I will be glad when we finally release all of the “dead wood” and start a rebuild.
    Incoming players have not finished by a long way but, no different to the vast majority of clubs, money will be very tight.
    This new team may take 2-3 years to build (given that Morison wants to play a different style) so let’s hope immediate talk of the play off’s are not expected.
    I am looking forward to a slightly new Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Recently, Underhill is spending far more time grizzling about the views of others than actually expressing any views himself. It’s tiresome.

We have no right to have opinions about the signings? Utter bollocks.
    of course everyone has their own opinions, but we could very easily be completely shite again this season, if the signings don't work out, and there are no guarantees for any of them.
    so the excitement of the transfer season could easily be the highlight of the season, so if people want to enjoy it by dreaming big then let's just let them.
    yes we all know that there's every chance a signing from Lewes isn't going to set the world alight, but it's more fun to imagine he is for now

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    As for my views on the players, I’ll judge them once I’ve seen them play, and not negatively speculate for no reason whatsoever.
    And, presumably, not positively speculate for no reason whatsoever?

"Signing a bunch of players I've never heard of" might have been a better way to go.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    of course everyone has their own opinions, but we could very easily be completely shite again this season, if the signings don't work out, and there are no guarantees for any of them.
    so the excitement of the transfer season could easily be the highlight of the season, so if people want to enjoy it by dreaming big then let's just let them.
    yes we all know that there's every chance a signing from Lewes isn't going to set the world alight, but it's more fun to imagine he is for now
    Then again he might be the next Jamie Vardy but hopefully without the WAG

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    of course everyone has their own opinions, but we could very easily be completely shite again this season, if the signings don't work out, and there are no guarantees for any of them, so the excitement of the transfer season could easily be the highlight of the season…..
    Quite. What galls me is the ridiculous suggestion that we, as football fans on a football message board, have no right to speculate, whether it be positively or negatively, about the quality of the players being signed.

Bollocks to that sanctimonious bullshit. Within legal boundaries, we can all say whatever we want, whenever we want about this and any other football club. Obviously.

I’m quite pleased that we are going down this route of signing relatively unknown players - I’m sure some will turn out to be disappointments but we could also uncover a couple of gems. Il not expecting us to be anywhere near the play offs so I’m confident that the new players will help achieve a solid mid table finish and then build for the season after where we may attract some decent loans.

If we were signing players that we’d heard of, it would probably be for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And, presumably, not positively speculate for no reason whatsoever?
    Of course not, that would be wrong of me 😇

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "Signing a bunch of players I've never heard of" might have been a better way to go.
    It's only 12 years ago that we beat (on penalties) a Leicester City team that virtually nobody had heard of outside the championship.

So never say never.

relegation next season with these sh!tters! we've really gone back in time :(

I think it's pretty clear that Morison is only interested in players with hunger and a point to prove.

I can't comment on ability because, unlike 95% of this board apparently, I haven't seen any of them play.

But I do think some people also need to seriously readjust their expectations of the market we're in.

I'd rather these kinds of signings than going after players like Nahki Wells and Charlie Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    To early to judge them.Give them some game time.

😆😆😆😆 never seen them play but they’re shitters. Wow

Sounds as though SM has watched the movie Moneyball :)

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If Bale did sign would there be a big enough room down the City to fit every in for the photo shoot?
    The woodwork would collapse with so many fans coming out of it.

How many of the ‘shitters’ he brought in in January would you be ok with if they came back?

Surely one of the main uses of a fans forum in the close season is to speculate and make predictions / comments about signings and potential signings, it’s all about differing opinions, we have little knowledge of the players currently signed but it’s fun to speculate.

I agree with TLG that Alnwick looks the least risky so far, based on previous experience , players from the Scottish premiership can make solid Championship players.

I like what I’ve read about Adams so far, always positive when you read glowing fan reports but it is a big jump up (Solomon Taiwo anyone?)

Collins is a curious one, 25 caps for Nigeria but still playing in Bundesliga 2 at 28 years old? Hard to know the standard of that league, not seen any of the football there but if Glatzel can score 25 goals at that level it suggests it is weaker than the Championship

I had heard previously of Ollie Tanner and his proposed move to Spurs - because of the huge leap in levels it was covered on the local news here on the south coast. I can’t imagine he will go straight into the first team despite what they’re saying and I would imagine he is a very low cost gamble.

It is like Morison is playing Moneyball at the moment , this could of course be very positive but we must also be looking at some players with previous championship experience for the newcomers to this league to learn from, otherwise we could be in for another very long season!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

How dare the club sign players that fans have never heard of. They should obviously discuss them all in detail with you, TLG and a few others on this board before even considering them.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How dare the club sign players that fans have never heard of. They should obviously discuss them all in detail with you, TLG and a few others on this board before even considering them.
    I reckon the club should run them by your relatives in Sheffield first and foremost. They’re usually on the money where signings are concerned.

Re. Players you’ve never heard of.... when I’m watching Premier League games on TV I’ve no clue who many of the players are. I’m up to speed on Man City, Liverpool because they’re rammed down your throat but there’s good Premier League standard players (obviously) at clubs like Palace, Southampton, Villa, Leicester, Brentford etc who I certainly couldn’t put a name to a face or who they played for. If I’d been told that we’d signed Collins from, say, Newcastle, I’d have been none the wiser.