+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flint released

Flint released

Re: Flint released

I'd be amazed if he doesn't line up against us next season! I like Flint, I hope we're signing an experienced centre half to replace him.

Yep, I liked Flint too. Sorry to see him go.

If he wasn’t so slow he’d be a cracking defender

Good luck to him I liked Flint in the end

Every side needs a lump at the back . He could have had another 2 seasons here . Hope we don't end up regretting this .

good pro, will do a job for someone, but I'm glad we aren't signing someone who will be 33 in a couple of weeks

It's the right decision. If we are looking to be a team that can pass out from the back, Flint struggles with that side of the game.

I liked him too had a very unfortunate middle name!😉

Shame I like him, if not only for THAT goal against THEM

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Every side needs a lump at the back . He could have had another 2 seasons here . Hope we don't end up regretting this .
    I’m sure we won’t be looking back in 2024 saying I wish we still had a 35 year old flint here

Good lad but time to get some new legs in

Wow I'm shocked felt he was not the most technical gifted central defender however had commitment, drive, passion and was dangerous in the oppositions penalty area , very decent Championship defender.

Must be a wages/ contract renewal thing.

Think we are seriously rationalising our players and wages.

I’m surprised, I thought he’d be one of the few to get a reprieve.

if we are going to play a high press game, it was never going to work with Flint

though saying that, I always liked Flint, a honest player

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    if we are going to play a high press game, it was never going to work with Flint

though saying that, I always liked Flint, a honest player
    I don't think you'd be expecting your center backs to get involved In a high press usually would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think you'd be expecting your center backs to get involved In a high press usually would you?
    If you’re going to press high, your centre backs have got to be high. Flint is a penalty box centre back, he can’t play a high line. Neither can Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m surprised, I thought he’d be one of the few to get a reprieve.
    Maybe we offered a contract and he didn't sign??

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If you’re going to press high, your centre backs have got to be high. Flint is a penalty box centre back, he can’t play a high line. Neither can Morrison.
    fair enough, I think you can accommodate a player like that as long as you have pace alongside them to stop them getting in behind, but 2 of them definitely not

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Maybe we offered a contract and he didn't sign??
    or maybe we've noticed that he's almost 33 and has already started to decline

We've fallen some way if we're upset about Flint leaving us

Got better as his time went on, but he was part of the class of 19 group of signings which set us back so much and I can’t really share the joy at him scoring our only goal against the jacks in nearly a decade when we were so pathetic in the other matches he played against them. That said, I warmed to him somewhat in the season just finished (I still struggle to think of a deserving player of the year for 21/22, but feel Flint merited the award more than Alex Smithies) and I’d give him credit for a better technique than many think he has.

If he was three years younger, I’d be in favour of us offering him a new deal, but, assuming we haven’t done that, I’d say the right decision has been made. I’d not be surprised to see him end up at another Championship club and would applaud him if he came back here with them next season - given how I felt about his arrival three years ago, that’s a sign as to the extent my opinion of him mellowed in 21/22 when he was definitely one of our better players.

I can't see too many Championship clubs looking to sign him, unless it's one of the promoted teams and he would be a squad player.
    At nearly 33 it will be a last contract with a League one side and then possibly into coaching
    Playing at that level with a couple of youngsters either side of him in a back 3 and he will look comfortable in that set up
    Earlier this year I thought he would be one of maybe 2-3 we would look to keep, but it would have to have been on vastly reduced wages and then only as a back up

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    or maybe we've noticed that he's almost 33 and has already started to decline
    Correct it could be either - my post was reflective if those posts that seemed to think we had just let him go and surprised we didn't keep him

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Got better as his time went on, but he was part of the class of 19 group of signings which set us back so much and I can’t really share the joy at him scoring our only goal against the jacks in nearly a decade when we were so pathetic in the other matches he played against them. That said, I warmed to him somewhat in the season just finished (I still struggle to think of a deserving player of the year for 21/22, but feel Flint merited the award more than Alex Smithies) and I’d give him credit for a better technique than many think he has.

If he was three years younger, I’d be in favour of us offering him a new deal, but, assuming we haven’t done that, I’d say the right decision has been made. I’d not be surprised to see him end up at another Championship club and would applaud him if he came back here with them next season - given how I felt about his arrival three years ago, that’s a sign as to the extent my opinion of him mellowed in 21/22 when he was definitely one of our better players.
    Eloquently reflects how I feel about Flint - wouldn't have been too upset he stayed but on our terms but no losing any sleep that he is going - equally will applaud him when he comes back - having said that only a few I wouldn't applaud if I am honest

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We tried to play a high line with Flint and Morrison as our centre-backs against Wigan in the first game of the 2019/20 season. It didn't go well.

Nice Post from him.

Always sad to see a player go, especially one who is committed to his role and the team, and to me he seemed to be one of those.

Flint is a good honest old fashioned centre half but given his age and what we think (hope) the club are trying to do developing a team with a style of play, this is probably the right decision.
    I might have kept him on another season, just as a failsafe while the transition beds in but perhaps wages or even playing time were factors in him going.

Anyway I wish the lad well in whatever he does next in his career.