+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flint released

Re: Flint released

If we are going to be in a relegation battle and the aim is to stay up id say give him a year. Id say hes still better than McGuinness , better than Nelson with Denham unproven.

If we are aiming higher then we ideally get in another centre half as well as hoping we get significant improvement in MacGuiness , Denham and maybe Collins.

Ive not seen Collins but ive seen enough of the other to that they can improve to a higher performance level.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nice Post from him.

Always sad to see a player go, especially one who is committed to his role and the team, and to me he seemed to be one of those.

Flint is a good honest old fashioned centre half but given his age and what we think (hope) the club are trying to do developing a team with a style of play, this is probably the right decision.
    I might have kept him on another season, just as a failsafe while the transition beds in but perhaps wages or even playing time were factors in him going.

Anyway I wish the lad well in whatever he does next in his career.
    What’s the point in keeping a player that doesn’t fit into any style that Morrisons trying to play.

He was totally committed and wasn’t afraid of hurting himself for the good of the team but he’s never going to slot into a back 3 in a million years

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    What’s the point in keeping a player that doesn’t fit into any style that Morrisons trying to play.

He was totally committed and wasn’t afraid of hurting himself for the good of the team but he’s never going to slot into a back 3 in a million years
    Read my post again and note I used the word "failsafe".

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If we are going to be in a relegation battle and the aim is to stay up id say give him a year. Id say hes still better than McGuinness , better than Nelson with Denham unproven.

If we are aiming higher then we ideally get in another centre half as well as hoping we get significant improvement in MacGuiness , Denham and maybe Collins.

Ive not seen Collins but ive seen enough of the other to that they can improve to a higher performance level.
    Yes. I alluded to this in my earlier post.

That's why the stumbling block, assuming he was offered a deal, may be wages and or playing time.

Let's just hope Morison gets us excited.

If its the style and not age where do you see MacGuiness slotting in who I believe was left out towards the end of season.

Yes. I alluded to this in my earlier post.

That's why the stumbling block, assuming he was offered a deal, may be wages and or playing time.

Let's just hope Morison gets us excited.
    I just think its age , he not as good as he was and we have MacGuiness who is what 21 who hopefully has significant improvement in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If its the style and not age where do you see MacGuiness slotting in who I believe was left out towards the end of season.
    I think McGuiness is head and shoulders our best defender at the moment, played on the wrong side

I think McGuiness is head and shoulders our best defender at the moment, played on the wrong side
    Absolutley - did well considering age and being asked to play on wrong side 👍

Read my post again and note I used the word "failsafe".
    Flint is anything but fail-safe. He's done really well to have a decent career at this level considering his blatant shortcomings and the fact that he managed to work his way up from non-league is genuinely commendable. He's someone who really has made the best of his abilities because let's be honest here - he's not a very good footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Flint is anything but fail-safe. He's done really well to have a decent career at this level considering his blatant shortcomings and the fact that he managed to work his way up from non-league is genuinely commendable. He's someone who really has made the best of his abilities because let's be honest here - he's not a very good footballer.
    He isn't a very good footballer. I really don't get it with some of our fans, they see defending just a reaction to what is going on around them, complimenting the ability to just stop the opposition, which isn't that difficult really. What is needed is one or two defenders with some footballing ability, players who can look up and pass the ball or buy themselves a bit of time in order to get meaningful attacks started. As a group of fans we always almost seem to celebrate endeavour over quality. Football isn't about players breaking bones, throwing themselves into 70-30 tackles, that's not bravery, it's piss poor judgement. Getting on the ball and trying to make things happen when things are going against you, and the fans are on your back is bravery. Good luck to Flint, he's done alright for us, but it's right that he's moving on.

No goodbye message from Will Vaulks tells me he has an offer on the table.

Limited defender but did a decent job for us and gave us some great moments at the other end of the pitch. Good luck to him, thanks Aden

If he wasn’t so slow he’d be a cracking defender

Good luck to him I liked Flint in the end
    In the end yes. But probably on too big of a wedge. He'll probably get 2 years at £15,000 a week somewhere. I'm glad it's not us though.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No goodbye message from Will Vaulks tells me he has an offer on the table.
    In that case have Bacuna, Ralls, Morrison, Brown and Vassell got offers too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He isn't a very good footballer. I really don't get it with some of our fans, they see defending just a reaction to what is going on around them, complimenting the ability to just stop the opposition, which isn't that difficult really. What is needed is one or two defenders with some footballing ability, players who can look up and pass the ball or buy themselves a bit of time in order to get meaningful attacks started. As a group of fans we always almost seem to celebrate endeavour over quality. Football isn't about players breaking bones, throwing themselves into 70-30 tackles, that's not bravery, it's piss poor judgement. Getting on the ball and trying to make things happen when things are going against you, and the fans are on your back is bravery. Good luck to Flint, he's done alright for us, but it's right that he's moving on.
    Steve McPhail was one of the bravest footballers I’ve seen play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In that case have Bacuna, Ralls, Morrison, Brown and Vassell got offers too?
    I believe Ralls and Morrison have and the others are unlikely to communicate with the fans in the way Vaulks has in the past.

Be a bit daft Vassell putting up a goodbye message anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Steve McPhail was one of the bravest footballers I’ve seen play for us.
    Absolutely. I remember when we played the jacks and they were running us ragged in Midfield with their overload and movement. McPhail was all over the place, getting stretched and going for tackles he had no business going for, usually because he was stretching and reacting. He was sent off i think, and i really felt bad for him. Dave Jones let him down by not protecting him and allowing the game in midfied to become stretched, it was a sad sight seeing Mcphail jumping into tackles and reacting in a way that just wasn't what he was about. He was crucified by plenty of our fans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    My use of the word failsafe was not regarding per se.
    We tried to play a passing game this season with Flint out of favour but reverted back to having him at CH.
    We avoided the drop.
    If Morison's attempts to change the way of playing fail this season, and relegation looks a possibility, reverting to our "agricultural" style of play would still be an option.
    In this case scenario, with Flint gone, we would be weaker, in my opinion.

Anyway, where did I mention that he was a good footballer?

In my opinion his signing (for far too much money) coincided with the start of us becoming almost unwatchable. Not his fault but when you’re signing players like Flint it sends a very clear signal of what you can expect on the pitch to fans and opposition. When your centre half is more effective in the opponent’s half of the field than his own, you know you’ve got a problem.

Also what constitutes a good footballer?
    Someone who does loads of stepovers, beats five players and shoots into the top corner from 25 yards no doubt.

If a player is in a team to do a job of stopping the opposition scoring and they don't, he has done his job.
    If he gets a goal into the bargain, he is man of the match.

Good footballer or not?

Does it really matter if he is limited?
    If he stops a gifted opposition player from scoring then some may think he is a good footballer, some may not, but who really cares?

Someone who does loads of stepovers, beats five players and shoots into the top corner from 25 yards no doubt.

If a player is in a team to do a job of stopping the opposition scoring and they don't, he has done his job.

Good footballer or not?

If he stops a gifted opposition player from scoring then some may think he is a good footballer, some may not, but who really cares?
    It’s about getting the balance between artists and artisans right and we haven’t done that for years.

Absolutely. I remember when we played the jacks and they were running us ragged in Midfield with their overload and movement. McPhail was all over the place, getting stretched and going for tackles he had no business going for, usually because he was stretching and reacting. He was sent off i think, and i really felt bad for him. Dave Jones let him down by not protecting him and allowing the game in midfied to become stretched, it was a sad sight seeing Mcphail jumping into tackles and reacting in a way that just wasn't what he was about. He was crucified by plenty of our fans as well.
    He got sent off for booting the ball away in one derby. Cost us the game. We were well on top.

Good footballer or not?

Stopplng players isn't that difficult a thing to do, being creative is, in fact, i'd say that's the case with most things in life.Football is changing rapidly, and the days of defenders being content in getting their arse end of a cross or a pass with little else in between just isn't enough. Obviously, sometimes during a game those type of traits are needed, but it shouldn't be the default positions it was with Flint and co because they lacked any ability to be creative. We should demand a bit more than that in my opinion.

He was sent off twice against the jacks.- in fact, he was sent off six times in his career and five of them were when he was playing for us.

Stopplng players isn't that difficult a thing to do, being creative is, in fact, i'd say that's the case with most things in life.Football is changing rapidly, and the days of defenders being content in getting their arse end of a cross or a pass with little else in between just isn't enough. Obviously, sometimes during a game those type of traits are needed, but it shouldn't be the default positions it was with Flint and co because they lacked any ability to be creative. We should demand a bit more than that in my opinion.
    If stopping the opposition scoring isn't that difficult then why do teams lose?

We seem to be intending on demanding more than that, but it takes time, especially with limited resources.