+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Clubs And Where We Stand In The List

Re: Big Clubs And Where We Stand In The List

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We have spent many years in the lower leagues because we dont have the fan base or interest in ccfc

How do explain us taking 40k to Wembley on 4 occasions if there is no interest in CCFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If our crowds dropped to 10,000 in League 1 it would mean we have struggled. If we were pushing for promotion from the off, I doubt we'd lose 5,000 as you suggest. As I've said, it's not the 80s any more.
    Pompey have failed to get back into the championship but have averaged 16000 . No way would we get those gates even by todays standards .

There is no evidence at all that we have the fan base . Potentially yes but that's not reality .

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    How do explain us taking 40k to Wembley on 4 occasions if there is no interest in CCFC?
    Well any club of a city of our size and catchment can muster numbers for one off games

The problem is , as proved by the stats , is that they are very quick to vanish . Cardiff City has huge potential but its keeping these fans returning that separates us from Leeds , Sunderland , Derby etc

Well any club of a city of our size and catchment can muster numbers for one off games

The problem is , as proved by the stats , is that they are very quick to vanish . Cardiff City has huge potential but its keeping these fans returning that separates us from Leeds , Sunderland , Derby etc
    So when you said there was no interest in CCFC it wasn't entirely true?

Surely you appreciate that having regular football at this level is helping our attendances? Sunderland, Derby etc have had this for years and years. I tend not to be all that bothered about attendances from many decades ago. I've proved in the past that clubs who have spent decades and decades in the top 2 divisions tend to hold onto their fans nowadays. We had almost 20 poor years in the bottom 2 tiers.

You mention Portsmouth. They had some really shit attendances in the 70s and 90s.

You do love picking your stats to suit.

So when you said there was no interest in CCFC it wasn't entirely true?
    I didn't say there was no interest

It's just that clubs like us , Bristol City, Swansea, Plymouth, Hull etc are able to take a big fan base to glamour games like Wembley........Wrexham are taking 20000 on Sunday.......but we just dont sustain it

We don't have the hardcore support that clubs bigger than us have

It would be great if we had a sustained period in the top division because that's the only thing that will unleash our potential

Surely you appreciate that having regular football at this level is helping our attendances? Sunderland, Derby etc have had this for years and years. I tend not to be all that bothered about attendances from many decades ago. I've proved in the past that clubs who have spent decades and decades in the top 2 divisions tend to hold onto their fans nowadays. We had almost 20 poor years in the bottom 2 tiers.

You mention Portsmouth. They had some really shit attendances in the 70s and 90s.

You do love picking your stats to suit.
    You are in complete denial about Cardiff City and our support

What kind of crowds do you think we had in the 1990s ?

They were far worse than Pompeys

I didn't say there was no interest

It's just that clubs like us , Bristol City, Swansea, Plymouth, Hull etc are able to take a big fan base to glamour games like Wembley........Wrexham are taking 20000 on Sunday.......but we just dont sustain it

We don't have the hardcore support that clubs bigger than us have

It would be great if we had a sustained period in the top division because that's the only thing that will unleash our potential
    'We have spent many years in the lower leagues because we dont have the fan base or interest in ccfc' We have a massive fanbase and given a modicum of success the interest would be massive.

Who gives a feck

'We have spent many years in the lower leagues because we dont have the fan base or interest in ccfc' We have a massive fanbase and given a modicum of success the interest would be massive.
    Well where is this fanbase when we need them ?

South Wales is full of big time fans , it's the same in the rugby

The difference between us and Sunderland , Newcastle etc is that they have a huge , active fanbase

And we don't

It's all about potential with us

When we were promoted to the championship under Lennie Lawrence after 17 years in the lower leagues we got a crowd for our first home game of 16421

We didn't even sell out ninian Park which at the time held 21000

Loads and loads of fans at the millennium to see Andy Campbell take us up , incredible scenes , 35000 fans

Yet we couldn't sell out our first home game ?

I mean if you want to argue we have a big fan base after that then carry on , I am off to 🛌

You are in complete denial about Cardiff City and our support

What kind of crowds do you think we had in the 1990s ?

They were far worse than Pompeys
    No, I'm not in denial of our crowds in the 80s and 90s. It is still utterly irrelevant when trying to predict what our crowds would be in whatever division we might end up now.

When we were promoted to the championship under Lennie Lawrence after 17 years in the lower leagues we got a crowd for our first home game of 16421

We didn't even sell out ninian Park which at the time held 21000
    Would you really have expected a full house? Good grief.

International

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    I find that very hard to believe, given Man united have had an average less 40,360 for 7 seasons since 1949/50
    The ground holds74000. How often do you see it so empty you can spot 34000 empty seats? That is almost half the stadium!

I don't think so>

But Chelsea were?
    Yes, they were. Very much so.

Did you know that Chelsea had an average attendance of 30,850 as far back as 1907/08?

Their rankings in terms of average attendances for some of the early years of the Football League:

1907/08 - 1st
    1908/09 - 2nd
    1909/10 - 2nd
    1910/11 - 3rd
    1911/12 - 1st
    1912/13 - 1st
    1913/14 - 1st
    1914/15 - 3rd
    1919/20 - 1st
    1920/21 - 2nd
    1921/22 - 1st
    1922/23 - 4th
    1923/24 - 1st
    1924/25 - 4th
    1925/26 - 1st
    1926/27 - 5th
    1927/28 - 3rd
    1928/29 - 6th
    1929/30 - 6th
    1930/31 - 2nd

In 1925/26, Chelsea topped the national attendance charts despite playing in the Second Division. The only other clubs who have done that are Manchester City (1927/28), Newcastle United (1946/47 and 1947/48), Tottenham Hotspur (1949/50) and Manchester United (1974/75).

Congratulations to all those who have participated in what is the one millionth thread about how “big” a club we are that has been posted on here in the twenty five years or so I’ve been using this messageboard. My one and only contribution will be to say that my preconceptions about City were shattered by what we averaged in 18/19 in our second season in the Premier League - this made me think some of the claims about the sort of crowds we could expect if we established ourselves in the top flight were not as mad as I had believed they were. So, in that sense, opinions I formed in the seventies and eighties may have been wrong or I was right, but we’ve moved on since those days and are a “bigger” club than we once were.

Every club has bad gates now and then

The statistics don't like

In terms of crowds and league placings we are a mid table championship side with crowds similar to Bristol City
    I agree, but not relevant as we are discussing Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yes, they were. Very much so.

Did you know that Chelsea had an average attendance of 30,850 as far back as 1907/08?

Their rankings in terms of average attendances for some of the early years of the Football League:

1907/08 - 1st
    1908/09 - 2nd
    1909/10 - 2nd
    1910/11 - 3rd
    1911/12 - 1st
    1912/13 - 1st
    1913/14 - 1st
    1914/15 - 3rd
    1919/20 - 1st
    1920/21 - 2nd
    1921/22 - 1st
    1922/23 - 4th
    1923/24 - 1st
    1924/25 - 4th
    1925/26 - 1st
    1926/27 - 5th
    1927/28 - 3rd
    1928/29 - 6th
    1929/30 - 6th
    1930/31 - 2nd

In 1925/26, Chelsea topped the national attendance charts despite playing in the Second Division. The only other clubs who have done that are Manchester City (1927/28), Newcastle United (1946/47 and 1947/48), Tottenham Hotspur (1949/50) and Manchester United (1974/75).
    For balance, can you let us know which clubs were 1st in the seasons Chelsea were not in this pre ww2 period, just so we can see who the other big clubs are in this period.

For balance, can you let us know which clubs were 1st in the seasons Chelsea were not in this pre ww2 period, just so we can see who the other big clubs are in this period.
    Sure thing:

1908/09 - Newcastle United
    1909/10 - Tottenham Hotspur
    1910/11 - Manchester City
    1914/15 - Manchester City
    1920/21 - Newcastle United
    1922/23 - Liverpool
    1924/25 - Liverpool
    1926/27 - Newcastle United
    1927/28 - Manchester City
    1928/29 - Manchester City
    1929/30 - Arsenal
    1930/31 - Arsenal

Arsenal were the best-supported club in the country from 1929/30 to 1937/38 inclusive before Aston Villa topped the chart in the final pre-War season (1938/39). After the War, it was Newcastle (1946/47 to 1948/49), Tottenham (1949/50 to 1951/52), Arsenal (1952/53 and 1953/54), Chelsea (1954/55), Everton (1955/56) and then Manchester United (1956/57 to 1958/59).

Since as far back as 1900, only nine clubs have ever topped the attendance charts:

Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Manchester United
    Newcastle United
    Tottenham Hotspur

Sure thing:

1908/09 - Newcastle United
    1909/10 - Tottenham Hotspur
    1910/11 - Manchester City
    1914/15 - Manchester City
    1920/21 - Newcastle United
    1922/23 - Liverpool
    1924/25 - Liverpool
    1926/27 - Newcastle United
    1927/28 - Manchester City
    1928/29 - Manchester City
    1929/30 - Arsenal
    1930/31 - Arsenal

Arsenal were the best-supported club in the country from 1929/30 to 1937/38 inclusive before Aston Villa topped the chart in the final pre-War season (1938/39). After the War, it was Newcastle (1946/47 to 1948/49), Tottenham (1949/50 to 1951/52), Arsenal (1952/53 and 1953/54), Chelsea (1954/55), Everton (1955/56) and then Manchester United (1956/57 to 1958/59).

Since as far back as 1900, only nine clubs have ever topped the attendance charts:

Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Manchester United
    Newcastle United
    Tottenham Hotspur
    impressive stats, thanks.

Despite their history, Chelsea only have the tenth largest stadium in England at 41,631. Newcastle , Sunderland and Villa are all bigger grounds. Only West Ham aren't in your list but now have a stadium larger than Chelsea.

Chelsea are certainly in the top ten historically, but then so are Villa.

Read into that whatever you want. It not relevant to Cardiff in any way, and I'm not sure why Sludge thinks it is.

impressive stats, thanks.

Despite their history, Chelsea only have the tenth largest stadium in England at 41,631. Newcastle , Sunderland and Villa are all bigger grounds. Only West Ham aren't in your list but now have a stadium larger than Chelsea.

Chelsea are certainly in the top ten historically, but then so are Villa.

Read into that whatever you want. It not relevant to Cardiff in any way, and I'm not sure why Sludge thinks it is.
    Sigmund Freud would have had trouble working out how Sludge’s mind works.

Chelsea are certainly in the top ten historically, but then so are Villa. Read into that whatever you want.
    Villa topped the attendance charts for the first time in 1898/99. They are currently ranked 8th in the Premier League averages. They've had their ups and downs, but they've always been well-supported. Back in 1971/72, they were ranked 12th in the country despite being in the old Division Three at the time.

Would you really have expected a full house? Good grief.
    Good good yes , all the nonsense spouted by so many of our fans and the media about us being a sleeping giant with this huge fanbase

Out first time in top two divisions for 17 years .....as we couldn't even sell 19000 tickets ?

I think it was an embarrassment

A season or two later , in the championship we had a big name manager in Dave Jones , his first game was Leeds .....15,500

We won an exciting game with a wonder goal from Jason koumas

A week later we played Watford

The crowd ? 9000

Yep , 9000 , in the championship , a week after beating Leeds

Where where all these fans ?

A very bad season and relegation and our 18000 average will plummet

You are deluded

Villa topped the attendance charts for the first time in 1898/99. They are currently ranked 8th in the Premier League averages. They've had their ups and downs, but they've always been well-supported. Back in 1971/72, they were ranked 12th in the country despite being in the old Division Three at the time.
    Villa have always been a source of wonder. They're clearly a big club, well supported and from Birmingham, so come from a very large city. Yet they don't really achieve anything success wise.

any Arab oil mogul would do worse than look at Villa.

Good good yes , all the nonsense spouted by so many of our fans and the media about us being a sleeping giant with this huge fanbase

Out first time in top two divisions for 17 years .....as we couldn't even sell 19000 tickets ?

I think it was an embarrassment

A season or two later , in the championship we had a big name manager in Dave Jones , his first game was Leeds .....15,500

We won an exciting game with a wonder goal from Jason koumas

A week later we played Watford

The crowd ? 9000

Yep , 9000 , in the championship , a week after beating Leeds

Where where all these fans ?

A very bad season and relegation and our 18000 average will plummet

You are deluded
    I'm not sure of what your argument is. There aren't any of this thread that are arguing the city are a big football club. in fact, most accept that historically and at present, we're a middling 2nd tier club.

I'm pretty sure that the idea of a football super league was first mooted in the 1960s, (or maybe even 1950s) and you'd be surprised to know that the city were included in the discussions.

Villa have always been a source of wonder. They're clearly a big club, well supported and from Birmingham, so come from a very large city. Yet they don't really achieve anything success wise.
    Bit of a gap between their last two top-flight championships - 1909/10 and 1980/81.

They did win the European Cup in 1982/82, though