+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Clubs And Where We Stand In The List

Big Clubs And Where We Stand In The List

https://fanbanter.co.uk/how-englands...ge-attendance/

Although it's based on historical attendances , I think this gets it about right

We are a mid placed second tier football club , wish we weren't but there you go

Re: Big Clubs And Where We Stand In The List

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Although it's based on historical attendances , I think this gets it about right

We are a mid placed second tier football club , wish we weren't but there you go

..I'll tell you who took any notice

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ..I'll tell you who took any notice
    Faaacking no one !

If you do it on historical league position, we’re also around the same position.

Chelsea, as stated numerous times, a historically well supported club prior to investment, and it’s lean times in the 80’s where it nearly went bankrupt due to the construction of the East Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    If you do it on historical league position, we’re also around the same position.
    Yep , mid table championship team .....with a lot of potential ....ad nauseum

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Chelsea, as stated numerous times, a historically well supported club prior to investment, and it’s lean times in the 80’s where it nearly went bankrupt due to the construction of the East Stand.
    Chelsea are one of the biggest clubs in the country

My mate from Southport , an Everton fan is always saying the same

I say to him if Everton were relegated to Sunderlands position and stayed in league 1 for a few seasons they wouldn't be getting 30000 a week like Sunderland do

Chelseas support in the 80s was utter gash. They were poorly supported until Matthew Harding came along in the 90s.

Big club my arse

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Chelseas support in the 80s was utter gash. They were poorly supported until Matthew Harding came along in the 90s.

Big club my arse
    The support of all clubs in the eighties was poor

Have you looked at ours ?

Leeds v Cardiff , 1983 , 1000 of us

12500 at Elland Road

Birmingham City , Promotion game v us , about to be relegated, 2500 of us

15000 at St Andrews

Newcastle v Us , 1984

14500 St James Park

But Chelsea and Newcastle etc, as proved by the figures are generally big clubs with big support

Unfortunately we ain't

The support of all clubs in the eighties was poor

Have you looked at ours ?

Leeds v Cardiff , 1983 , 1000 of us

12500 at Elland Road

Birmingham City , Promotion game v us , about to be relegated, 2500 of us

15000 at St Andrews

Newcastle v Us , 1984

14500 St James Park

But Chelsea and Newcastle etc, as proved by the figures are generally big clubs with big support

Unfortunately we ain't
    I never made comment about us. I know exactly were we sit in the grand scheme of things. We are about a middling championship team in terms of history and support.

You think Chelsea are a big club, their historic league attendances would disagree with you.

Top 6 in the all-time attendance league. Not too shabby.

Manchester United – 40,360
    Liverpool – 34,763
    Arsenal – 34,701
    Tottenham – 34,101
    Newcastle – 32,757
    Chelsea – 32,473

Correcting....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Top 6 in the all-time attendance league. Not too shabby.

Manchester United – 40,360
    Liverpool – 34,763
    Arsenal – 34,701
    Tottenham – 34,101
    Newcastle – 32,757
    Chelsea – 32,473
    I find that very hard to believe, given Man united have had an average less 40,360 for 7 seasons since 1949/50

I find that very hard to believe, given Man united have had an average less 40,360 for 7 seasons since 1949/50
    Maybe they weren't so popular for the 50+ years prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe they weren't so popular for the 50+ years prior to that.
    But Chelsea were?

*doubt

But Chelsea were?

*doubt
    Didn’t they get crowds of 60/75,000 once upon a time?

I never made comment about us. I know exactly were we sit in the grand scheme of things. We are about a middling championship team in terms of history and support.

You think Chelsea are a big club, their historic league attendances would disagree with you.
    The point is you said Chelsea had poor crowds in the eighties ......so did most British clubs

They had a season when they averaged 18000

That season we averaged 2904

Same with Newcastle , a season of poor gates and people think they are fickle fans whilst the team we supported were getting shocking gates

Considering we have spent most of our existence in the lower leagues it's to be expected. If we had spent as many years in the top league as Man utd then we would be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Considering we have spent most of our existence in the lower leagues it's to be expected. If we had spent as many years in the top league as Man utd then we would be much higher.
    We have spent many years in the lower leagues because we dont have the fan base or interest in ccfc

When we went down from the championship in 1986 ish it took us 17 years to get back

It's taken Sunderland 3 years and Sheff Weds won't be long coming back up

That's why they are big clubs

Pompey have been down a few years but I doubt it will take them long to get back up

The point is you said Chelsea had poor crowds in the eighties ......so did most British clubs

They had a season when they averaged 18000

That season we averaged 2904

Same with Newcastle , a season of poor gates and people think they are fickle fans whilst the team we supported were getting shocking gates
    Chelsea had 8000 for a game in the then 2nd division.

Even by 80s standards that was gash

We have spent many years in the lower leagues because we dont have the fan base or interest in ccfc

When we went down from the championship in 1986 ish it took us 17 years to get back
    Out of interest, do you really think that if we went down to League 1 we'd get sub 10,000 crowds again, or even worse, crowds of less than 5,000?

I don't. Not at all. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

Our crowds have fluctuated over the years - success = more through the turnstiles. At our current stadium we've had 4 seasons where our average crowd has been below 20k. This is our best run of home attendances since relegation from Division 1 in 1962.

As for Sunderland, in the 80s their crowd virtually halved after promotion to Division 1 and then relegation to Division 3. Their crowds doubled after they left Roker Park. Ours increased after we left Ninian Park and we haven't looked back.

The 80s and 90s were shit, but they ain't coming back.

But Chelsea were?

*doubt
    In the 30s, 40's and 50s they got crowds of over 70,000. Their record attendance at Stamford Bridge is over 80,000. I'm no fan of Chelsea. They're probably my least favorite club. All I did was google a table of historical attendances and Chelsea were 6th on the list. If you don't believe it, do your own research.

Chelsea had 8000 for a game in the then 2nd division.

Even by 80s standards that was gash
    Every club has bad gates now and then

The statistics don't like

In terms of crowds and league placings we are a mid table championship side with crowds similar to Bristol City

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of interest, do you really think that if we went down to League 1 we'd get sub 10,000 crowds again, or even worse, crowds of less than 5,000?

I don't. Not at all. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

Our crowds have fluctuated over the years - success = more through the turnstiles. At our current stadium we've had 4 seasons where our average crowd has been below 20k. This is our best run of home attendances since relegation from Division 1 in 1962.

As for Sunderland, in the 80s their crowd virtually halved after promotion to Division 1 and then relegation to Division 3. Their crowds doubled after they left Roker Park. Ours increased after we left Ninian Park and we haven't looked back.

The 80s and 90s were shit, but they ain't coming back.
    If we were getting crowds of about 17 k when struggling this season I have no doubt whatsoever our crowds would be 12 k or so in the first season in league 1 and if we stayed there then crowds of around 10000 would be the norm

I travelled several times to watch us against Coventry in the new stadium up there and 15000 , with 1000 of us looked bloody awful

We may think we are a bigger club than Coventry but we ain't

If we were getting crowds of about 17 k when struggling this season I have no doubt whatsoever our crowds would be 12 k or so in the first season in league 1 and if we stayed there then crowds of around 10000 would be the norm

I travelled several times to watch us against Coventry in the new stadium up there and 15000 , with 1000 of us looked bloody awful

We may think we are a bigger club than Coventry but we ain't
    If our crowds dropped to 10,000 in League 1 it would mean we have struggled. If we were pushing for promotion from the off, I doubt we'd lose 5,000 as you suggest. As I've said, it's not the 80s any more.