+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Style Next Season

Playing Style Next Season

What are the thoughts on the style Morison is going to go for.

Ive heard a few mention a high pressing style.

I just cant see that. Little evidence thats the way we are going.

We seemed to be get everyone back behind the ball as quickly as possible and stay in shape and are quite happy to let the opposition defence have it.

I think thats the plan when the opposition have it but no idea what the plan is when we have it.

Re: Playing Style Next Season

I think we will be pleasantly surprised. I have us down to win 6-0 in our first game, with a final points tally of a massive 114.

No doubt in reality Morrison will be sacked in November.

Morison's preferred formation seems to be 3-5-2, so I can't see us deviating much from that. We'll try to keep things tight defensively and not commit too many players forward in attack. Rubin Colwill will be on the bench for most games.

Morison is fixated on tippy-tappy possession-based football, just as everyone else is moving along towards pace and precision. That said, his signings to date have looked promising, so I'm fairly hopeful of some success. I'm still waiting for the strikers to arrive, mind...

If his matches last season are anything to go off it'll be keeping tight and hoping to hit teams on the break

I don't think he's wedded to the 3-5-2, he's talked a few times about bringing in wingers. I think he should be building the team around Colwill, but I don't think he will unfortunately

He talks the talk about style but I have no trust he, or his coaches, are able to coach us to play a passing, progressive style of play. It might not be hoofball but it will be just as boring.

The main tactic will be pass the ball to Bale

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

We seemed to be get everyone back behind the ball as quickly as possible and stay in shape and are quite happy to let the opposition defence have it.

I think thats the plan when the opposition have it but no idea what the plan is when we have it.
    You appear to be assuming that we will play exactly the way we did under him last season. Why ? He had to find a way for us to play with the players at his disposal. The team is currently being almost totally rebuilt and the playing style is much more likely than not to change with it. The veiled insult that Morison doesn't know what he is doing is boring and totally unnecessary in the circumstances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You appear to be assuming that we will play exactly the way we did under him last season. Why ? He had to find a way for us to play with the players at his disposal. The team is currently being almost totally rebuilt and the playing style is much more likely than not to change with it. The veiled insult that Morison doesn't know what he is doing is boring and totally unnecessary in the circumstances as well.
    So what style do you think hes going for.

I

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He talks the talk about style but I have no trust he, or his coaches, are able to coach us to play a passing, progressive style of play. It might not be hoofball but it will be just as boring.
    This is probably my feeling too unfortunately

Some people seem to buy into everything he says mind, I look on Twitter and see people waxing lyrical about our progressive style of play, the incredible youth development and all our young signings. I'd like to know what Cardiff City they're watching because really it's pretty basic stuff and it looks like he's not that bothered about our youngsters. I think Morison did well last season but some people are just setting themselves up for disappointment

I hope it was just Morison being constrained by the squad last season and we move to a more attacking game with "his" players involved

Pretty much agree with this.

With Adams in the side it will be combative and energetic. Reads like Collins is also no nonsense. We’ve been a soft side for many seasons, perhaps SM wants to add some steel to add flair onto?

I'll be surprised if the side develops a distinctive style under Morison. All of the evidence so far suggests that he will frequently chop and change his team's line-up, tactics and style of play to counteract the opposition. I don't think he's manager who has a particular football philosophy.

There are many teams who play to a certain shape when not in possession, loads in the Prem. Many people just pick holes for the sake of it. I'm surprised by some people that purport to be knowledgeable on the game clearly don't know their arse from their elbow.

Has anyone seen how the under 23s operated under him?
    Maybe that might give a clue as to how next season will shape up; based upon that set-up.

turgid hoofball, as per the Cardiff City way

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Has anyone seen how the under 23s operated under him?
    Maybe that might give a clue as to how next season will shape up; based upon that set-up.
    When they were on their winning run at the start of 21/22, they were happy to let the opposition have the ball because they had players in the team (eg Davies, Zimba, Evans etc) capable of opening up defences at that level - Connolly and Denham were also very good centrebacks.

They made use of long throws at times, but there was very little hoofing from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    turgid hoofball, as per the Cardiff City way
    not always ..there have been some periods where CcFc played some decent football. It's just easier to do the long ball forward to
    the 6 feet 5 inches striker apparently

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When they were on their winning run at the start of 21/22, they were happy to let the opposition have the ball because they had players in the team (eg Davies, Zimba, Evans etc) capable of opening up defences at that level - Connolly and Denham were also very good centrebacks.

They made use of long throws at times, but there was very little hoofing from them.
    From what I have seen so far this season, the Manager has already got his point across with regard to how the players set up without the ball (with the players that he inherited), so in that respect, he has transferred that from the U23s.
    It’s interesting to read how well you feel how Connolly did, especially adding in how well he appears to have done at Bristol Rovers. Steve Morrison obviously must have thoughts about Connolly, so I wonder if he will be offered a new contract?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yes. Thats why combined with weve never seen the high press at all why I dont think its the style we are going for.

Morisons sides so far seem happy to let the opposition to have possession.

Whats the plan when we get the ball?

Yes. Thats why combined with weve never seen the high press at all why I dont think its the style we are going for.

We did see a high press. Against Swansea. 3 players half heartedly pressed and the rest sat deep in our own half. Probably the worst press ever seen at Championship level.

Style is overrated. Just win the game innit.

Out of curiosity, what style do you think Fulham and Bournemouth play? Is it not just a case of them doing defending/passing/shooting better than others?

International

We don't anticipate that happening ffs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Style is overrated. Just win the game innit.

Out of curiosity, what style do you think Fulham and Bournemouth play? Is it not just a case of them doing defending/passing/shooting better than others?
    They both played possession based football.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    They both played possession based football.
    Hmm Swansea had the highest possession in the league. Didn’t work out for them.

Alternatively, Luton had the lowest.