+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing Style Next Season

Re: Playing Style Next Season

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Hmm Swansea had the highest possession in the league. Didn’t work out for them.

Alternatively, Luton had the lowest.
    I have a lot of swans mates and they all pray for Martin to have a plan B and are alarmed at the stubbornness of the manager not change when it is obviously not working

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    From what I have seen so far this season, the Manager has already got his point across with regard to how the players set up without the ball (with the players that he inherited), so in that respect, he has transferred that from the U23s.
    It’s interesting to read how well you feel how Connolly did, especially adding in how well he appears to have done at Bristol Rovers. Steve Morrison obviously must have thoughts about Connolly, so I wonder if he will be offered a new contract?
    According to WOL he has been offered a new contract and the club have the option to extend for a year as well

Hmm Swansea had the highest possession in the league. Didn’t work out for them. Alternatively, Luton had the lowest.
    Didn't work out for them either. They'll start next season in the same division.

Style is overrated. Just win the game innit.

Out of curiosity, what style do you think Fulham and Bournemouth play? Is it not just a case of them doing defending/passing/shooting better than others?
    I guarantee that you didn’t get into football because of the fantastic shape a team you liked had when they were out of possession. I’m probably wrong here because there are some weird people about, but I’ll say it anyway - everyone bar none first got into football, or any other team sport played with a ball, because of what they saw from players and teams that had possession of said ball.

Clearly, as your knowledge increases, you start to appreciate that what you do when you don’t have the ball is important, but I must admit that, well into my seventh decade as a City fan, I’ve had enough of following a team that are more effective out of possession and are so poor at keeping it when they do get it. Worse than that though is that, for nearly a decade now, we’ve been so dull to watch when we do manage to get some possession, so, for me at least, “style”, or the absence of it to be more accurate, has become increasingly important in recent years.

Too often the term ""parks" comes to mind. "Flair" doesn't. "Style" doesnt either. Chopping and changing formation and players may have given Morison the chance to have a good look at players but, God was it boring and frustrating to watch. Comes to something when we celebrate a corner or a shot way off target. As it stands, we don't have a team so style will have to wait until formation and tactics are sorted...if we actually have any tactics other than defend in the first half and try and hit them on the break in the second. A lot of work to do.

Judging from interviews with Morrison and some of the incoming players you can deduce that we will be changing the way we play.

He's on record as saying the reason we played the way we did was due to the players we had. He's said that we've either looked for versatile players to give us options or players that give us something that aligns to what he wants. Also I think Ollie tanner and Ebou Adams said they were excited by the way we are going to play.

You can also look at comments he made about Collwill and Watters last season not being good enough without the ball. All that would suggest high press, lots of closing down, more physicality.

I also think we're going to try and get some pace in the squad. The loanees we had last season had it and both Tanner and Collins have it too.

Whether or not we're successful at it is another question!