+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your First Away Game

Your First Away Game

A no score draw at Plymouth in 1967 for me. A couple of older lads I knew were going and my parents allowed me to tag along. I remember more about the players being on the same train as us going home than the game. Peter King’s trilby looked very natty. I still see one of boys who took me, Peter Scully , from Malefant St, lives in Taff’s Well now. I always remind him that he owes me a fortune for getting me hooked.

Re: Your First Away Game

Newport County 82/83. Welsh Cup game, lost 1-0. Also went to the league game Easter Monday, another 1-0 loss. 16000 packed into Somerton Park.

City away to Shrewsbury in the league cup. I think it was the year we had a bye in the previous round because of some teams plastic pitch.
    Anyway, I went on the train with a work colleague who had been to a few away games.
    I remember it being 0-0 and City had battered them the whole game but could not score, then Shrewsbury scored with the last kick of the game… a mishit, scuffed shot, that dribbled into the bottom of the net.
    Cue City fans in the Grandstand going mad and ripping up the seats, and throwing them at all and sundry.
    My mate and I looked at each other and somehow had a feeling that now was a good time to leave.
    We just got to the exit when this copper came through randomly whacking people with his truncheon, not caring that those that were leaving were not into fisticuffs.
    Luckily the copper behind him, who was just about to lock everyone in, saw that my mate and me just wanted to go home, so he let us through. We then heard the announcement that the last train back to Cardiff was about to leave, so we legged it and just got there in time.

Newport in the Welsh Cup, Feb 1973.
    Somerton was heaving (att.11,350) and being a short-arse I had a cracking view of all of one penalty area for our 3-1 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Newport County 82/83. Welsh Cup game, lost 1-0. Also went to the league game Easter Monday, another 1-0 loss. 16000 packed into Somerton Park.
    I think that league game was my first away too. Was probably unsafe looking back upon it now, but just seemed the way it was back then.

Hereford

Bristol City away Boxing Day 1974. A very drab 0-0. Nothing much to add to that!

Mansfield away must have been in about 1997. I was maybe 9 years old. We won 2-1 or 3-1. I spent the entire game digging dirt with stones.

1977 V Bridgwater Town. We lost 1-0, but I did run on at the end and get Brian Attley's autograph.

Fulham 1 Cardiff 5 December 68.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fulham 1 Cardiff 5 December 68.
    You must always follow that result with ‘after being 1-0 down’. One of my favourite away days ever that game was.

No idea of the date(s) but it was either West Ham or Leyton Orient (was early 1970's for sure). Very rarely went to away games to be fair. One of the most memorable (but not the first) was in 1976 at Bury when City won promotion. An evening game. I remember getting the last bus back to London from Manchester and being bored to death by the bloke in the seat behind who had been to a David Bowie concert the same night and talked about Bowie non-stop for hours on end. A living Wikipedia he was!

A 3-0 win at the Wurzels in about 1967 or 68.

Lost 4 nil at Swindon
    26/12/1976
    3 nil down before we got into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Lost 4 nil at Swindon
    26/12/1976
    3 nil down before we got into the ground.
    I remember that. Didn’t Peter Eastoe score a hat trick for them? What I remember most was that we then played home the following day and beat possibly Peterborough 5-2?

QPR in a cup game with Ian Rogerson scoring. Can't remember if it was a League Cup or FA Cup game but it was a bit spicy at times.

February 1976, Edgar St, we lost 1-4 and were 2 down before I got in the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Also went to the league game Easter Monday, another 1-0 loss. 16000 packed into Somerton Park.
    Probably the most frightened I’ve ever been at a game!

Bristol City 1970 or 1972 not sure but i know we lost 0-1. My old man took me where we stood near the corner of the ground. The old man watched the fans behind the goal who were separated by a line of police trying to attack each other the whole game. I still remember him saying `so this is why you come to the football? ' I was only a nipper.

With my dad a 2-1 loss at Sheffield United in 78. By myself a 3-2 win at Huddersfield in 89 after starting uni in Manchester. I'd lived in the Isle of man from 79 to 89 so rarely got to see the city even with my old man maybe 6 games in the 10 years.

Blackpool early nineties lost 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Newport in the Welsh Cup, Feb 1973.
    Somerton was heaving (att.11,350) and being a short-arse I had a cracking view of all of one penalty area for our 3-1 win.
    Mine too I think. First league away was Fulham 1-1. City scored in18 seconds, down to ten in about 20 minutes.

Walsall, 2003. Alexander saved a penalty. Gareth Whalley scored a last gasp equaliser.

Went with the Rams. Never went again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I remember that. Didn’t Peter Eastoe score a hat trick for them? What I remember most was that we then played home the following day and beat possibly Peterborough 5-2?
    Yes it was Peterborough, they went 1-0 up after about two minutes as well. Don’t think Eastoe got a hat trick the day before though. What I do remember is Frank Burrows scoring a header from a corner or free kick for Swindon though and that Albert Larmour, who’d been very good before then, had a bit of a nightmare.

Oxford United v Reading May 83. The day of the protest against Maxwell’s Thames Valley Royals merger. Kerry Dixon scored for us and we won 2-1 but still got relegated to division four with 53 points.