+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart meters, glad we didn’t get one !!!!

Smart meters, glad we didn’t get one !!!!

Re: Smart meters, glad we didn’t get one !!!!

Can you elaborate for us poor souls who don't subscribe to that service

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Can you elaborate for us poor souls who don't subscribe to that service
    Smart meters are to automatically send energy suppliers half-hourly updates on their customers' power use in a revolutionary move that will allow "surge pricing" in millions of households' bills.
    The energy regulator Ofgem will be granted legal powers in May allowing it to change the way smart meters operate, so that information about usage is sent to suppliers every 30 minutes by default.
    Suppliers will be able to use the data to change consumer energy prices as much as 48 times per day, allowing them to charge more at peak times.
    The plans are viewed by industry experts as a key stepping stone towards “time of use” tariffs, which would charge customers different rates for energy throughout the day depending on demand.
    This could mean that households pay more during the busiest periods, raising the possibility that they could be penalised for watchingThis could mean that households pay more during the busiest periods, raising the possibility that they could be penalised for watching television, boiling the kettle or charging gadgets at popular times such as mornings and evenings.
    Consumer rights groups have also warned that people with poorly insulated homes, old-fashioned appliances or health conditions that require round-the-clock support may lose out without safeguards.
    But energy company bosses and Ofgem on Tuesday insisted the plans will ultimately benefit most customers, saving them between £1.6bn and £4.5bn overall.*

Glad I haven't got one!
    Do they send info through cables? or more likely like a mobile phone -
    Get some lead shielding to block the signal!

Glad I haven't got one!
    Tin foil should do it.

Surge pricing was always on the cards. Consumers pay for the smart meters via a surcharge on energy bills and will soon be charged higher rates for using electricity morning, noon and evening. Great if you are nocturnal. I've deliberately avoided a smart meter but wonder how those without such meters will be charged in future. Billing will be interesting. Energy companies will have to make changes to their software to accommodate surge pricing. Another hidden cost which will be passed o n to the consumer.
    Last edited by IanD; 09-02-22 at 09:54. Reason: Spolling

Glad I haven't got one!
    They send it via a secure wireless network i think, but around the home(ie between the meter and smart meter) it uses zigbee, like some other smart devices, such as smart bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Smart meters are to automatically send energy suppliers half-hourly updates on their customers' power use in a revolutionary move that will allow "surge pricing" in millions of households' bills.
    The energy regulator Ofgem will be granted legal powers in May allowing it to change the way smart meters operate, so that information about usage is sent to suppliers every 30 minutes by default.
    Suppliers will be able to use the data to change consumer energy prices as much as 48 times per day, allowing them to charge more at peak times.
    The plans are viewed by industry experts as a key stepping stone towards “time of use” tariffs, which would charge customers different rates for energy throughout the day depending on demand.
    This could mean that households pay more during the busiest periods, raising the possibility that they could be penalised for watchingThis could mean that households pay more during the busiest periods, raising the possibility that they could be penalised for watching television, boiling the kettle or charging gadgets at popular times such as mornings and evenings.
    Consumer rights groups have also warned that people with poorly insulated homes, old-fashioned appliances or health conditions that require round-the-clock support may lose out without safeguards.
    But energy company bosses and Ofgem on Tuesday insisted the plans will ultimately benefit most customers, saving them between £1.6bn and £4.5bn overall.*
    Wow, what a surprise - someone has just woken up to this possibility!! I predicted this years ago when the notion of smart meters was first announced and have resisted all attempts by energy companies to have one here ever since. The main excuse for you needing one is that you never have to send in a meter reading again. Oh dear, such an onerous task. I can email my reading to my energy supplier in seconds every 1st of the month.

I guess you can always just turn it off?

What I would call a smart meter is if it shouts out.
    "You've left the light on in the bathroom and your charger plugged in" How many more times do I have to tell you.

I hate shit like this.

I suspected this was coming, they have been bombarding me to go switch ,I am not having it .

Does it mean that ‘dumb meters’ prevent the energy company from doing this?
    I don’t see how it stops them from simply charging more at peak times.

But then there are benefits like this: https://www.theguardian.com/business...lectricity-use

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Does it mean that ‘dumb meters’ prevent the energy company from doing this?
    I don’t see how it stops them from simply charging more at peak times.
    I thought they always had done that(economy 7?). But the difference I guess would be having real-time data to hand.

I suppose the argument in favour, would be that smoothing demand could well result in less expensive infrastructure needing to be built. Now I don't particularly trust that any savings would be passed on, but I do think its a decent idea.

Surge pricing probably isn't going to affect small use that heavily. It could be very useful in smoothing out demands from heavy users such as electric car chargers .

I've got one. I love it. I get paid to take electricity of the grid while charging my car. Saves me a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Wow, what a surprise - someone has just woken up to this possibility!! I predicted this years ago when the notion of smart meters was first announced and have resisted all attempts by energy companies to have one here ever since. The main excuse for you needing one is that you never have to send in a meter reading again. Oh dear, such an onerous task. I can email my reading to my energy supplier in seconds every 1st of the month.
    well good for you try sending one in if you cant read your meter

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've got one. I love it. I get paid to take electricity of the grid while charging my car. Saves me a fortune.
    Was reading about this a couple of months back, great scheme. Some people have the power banks aswell and pay virtually nothing for their home electric. Was it easy to sign up for ?

I've started to Biogas my own poo as its a potential fuel source , yes it smells, but hey its free at the point of access

They are handy in some situations like my mothers block of flats full of oldies, she hasn’t a clue which one is her meter in a room that is always locked up anyway…saves us hassle.

First Team

I thought the UK already had time of use tariffs? "Economy 7"? for nighttime storage heaters etc.

As irksome as they may seem, time-of-use varying tariffs are a good way of reducing usage during the peak. Having lower peak electricity usage is good all ways around because it saves everyone the cost of expensive generating capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I thought the UK already had time of use tariffs? "Economy 7"? for nighttime storage heaters etc.

As irksome as they may seem, time-of-use varying tariffs are a good way of reducing usage during the peak. Having lower peak electricity usage is good all ways around because it saves everyone the cost of expensive generating capacity.
    They wouldn't reduce usage. They would deter people from using electricity/gas at times they are most likely to want to use it because they can't afford it. A great idea for large families and those on low incomes..

Anyone else remember the contractor Turriff in the late 60s/ early 70s doing the huge project of converting all our homes to North Sea Gas? Natural gas was eventually going to cost us hardly bugger all........what happened

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    They wouldn't reduce usage. They would deter people from using electricity/gas at times they are most likely to want to use it because they can't afford it. A great idea for large families and those on low incomes..
    We've had time-of-use tariffs in the US for years. They reduce peak usage, a lot.