+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your First Away Game

Re: Your First Away Game

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Oxford United v Reading May 83. The day of the protest against Maxwell’s Thames Valley Royals merger. Kerry Dixon scored for us and we won 2-1 but still got relegated to division four with 53 points.
    Wow that is the best so far

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    February 1976, Edgar St, we lost 1-4 and were 2 down before I got in the ground
    That was either my second or third away I went to Shrewsbury that season as well as Swindon and Hereford lost all 2

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    With my dad a 2-1 loss at Sheffield United in 78. By myself a 3-2 win at Huddersfield in 89 after starting uni in Manchester. I'd lived in the Isle of man from 79 to 89 so rarely got to see the city even with my old man maybe 6 games in the 10 years.
    Two City fans living on the island at the same time. Drop me a pm. I left in ‘87. My wife & a couple of my sons are Manx.

Bristol Rovers at Eastville, in the old Second Division. I can't remember the date or score. It was probably around 1975/76.

Burnley away 1990 - lost 0-2

Orient 1988, caught the train for some reason, didn’t really know anyone either just tagged along. Got jumped on the train by Chelsea fans from west wales, pitch invasions, stabbings, just carnage….what was I thinking I’ll never know.

Two City fans living on the island at the same time. Drop me a pm. I left in ‘87. My wife & a couple of my sons are Manx.
    One of my sisters still lives there and she's nuts about the bluebirds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Mine too I think. First league away was Fulham 1-1. City scored in18 seconds, down to ten in about 20 minutes.
    I was stood on the terrace made up of old railway sleepers - nowadays it seems completely bonkers that was acceptable.
    My first league away was our next game at Swindon where we were stuffed 3-0 and tormented throughout by a rampant Rod Thomas!

Oxford United away in December 1970. We lost 1-0 and Ron Atkinson and his brother played for the opposition.

Swansea away March 86 , tagged along with older lads ( who are still good mates ) mental down there from the time we arrived (8.00am) , hooked ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You must always follow that result with ‘after being 1-0 down’. One of my favourite away days ever that game was.
    Yes my first away game as well. Great game and atmosphere. Was also fascinated by the fact that the river Thames ran right along side the ground.

Can’t remember my first away, but certainly remember taking my eldest son to his first ….. Fulham !
    As we were living in London, the perfect games thinks I …he was about 8 years old, and I even took some of my wife’s overseas relatives along.
    So …… Pitch invasion, horses on the pitch, Neil Kinnock, “Diddy” David Hamilton, etc etc etc
    … and we get home about 2 hours later than planned.
    As we walk thru the door, I’m confronted by the wife who promptly says “you’re never taking him again … you can’t be trusted” …… as if it was all down to me !

Only ever been to four away games and I think it was Palace twice and Fulham twice. Preferred Fulham out of the two.

Hoping to live long enough so I can travel the country every week once my kids are old enough.

Honestly, that's all I want to do later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Yes my first away game as well. Great game and atmosphere. Was also fascinated by the fact that the river Thames ran right along side the ground.
    It really makes me feel my age when I think that back in 1968 the side of the ground that runs by the river was an open terrace and I remember in particular they had flags of different countries along the length of the pitch. Since then they built a “new” stand, demolished it, and built another one

United or City

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A no score draw at Plymouth in 1967 for me. A couple of older lads I knew were going and my parents allowed me to tag along. I remember more about the players being on the same train as us going home than the game. Peter King’s trilby looked very natty. I still see one of boys who took me, Peter Scully , from Malefant St, lives in Taff’s Well now. I always remind him that he owes me a fortune for getting me hooked.
    Lincoln away ‘96

A 2-1 defeat away to Aston Villa on 30th December 1967. I also went to see the same fixture the following season, a 2-0 loss this time. A certain Willie Anderson was a Villa favourite at the time.

I think I can trump you all.
    Will need help with dates but my first away was around 1960, Wolves. With my late father who is to blame for my lifetime love affair with the bluebirds.
    George Johnson played and scored but we lost.
    Stood on the North Bank, no segregation those days surrounded by a very unpleasant lot from the Black Country. No worries physically but we didn't make too much noise, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I think I can trump you all.
    Will need help with dates but my first away was around 1960, Wolves. With my late father who is to blame for my lifetime love affair with the bluebirds.
    George Johnson played and scored but we lost.
    Stood on the North Bank, no segregation those days surrounded by a very unpleasant lot from the Black Country. No worries physically but we didn't make too much noise, just in case.
    Ooops, me bad. Game was much later than I thought, Feb 1966. Apologies to anyone misled.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Hereford
    Same

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It really makes me feel my age when I think that back in 1968 the side of the ground that runs by the river was an open terrace and I remember in particular they had flags of different countries along the length of the pitch. Since then they built a “new” stand, demolished it, and built another one
    Was thinking something similar the other day about things that have been constructed in my lifetime and subsequently been demolished. Arms Park, Cardiff bus station, Asteys and the one that really stands out my school, Glan Ely.

Southport away in the Cup, 65 or 66...we lost of course
    Told my mother on the friday night I was going to see the City the day after, I was 14 or so, didn't mention it was an away match.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Was thinking something similar the other day about things that have been constructed in my lifetime and subsequently been demolished. Arms Park, Cardiff bus station, Asteys and the one that really stands out my school, Glan Ely.
    If the Empire Pool was built after Feb 1956, that would be one for me. I think the old Bluebirds Club at Ninian Park is probably another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A 2-1 defeat away to Aston Villa on 30th December 1967. I also went to see the same fixture the following season, a 2-0 loss this time. A certain Willie Anderson was a Villa favourite at the time.
    It was one of these games at Villa that my father took my brother who would have been 7 or 8 at the time.
    My father lost my brother in a crowd of over 50000 people but miraculously my brother found his way back to the car on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    It was one of these games at Villa that my father took my brother who would have been 7 or 8 at the time.
    My father lost my brother in a crowd of over 50000 people but miraculously my brother found his way back to the car on his own.
    I think the crowd was about 42,000 which at the time was about double what we got for big home games. The thing I remember most about the 1968 game has nothing to do with the game itself. It was listening to Hello Goodbye by the Beatles in a service station on the way there. As I've never really been an away follower, to this day Villa Park remains my most visited away ground.