+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Away Stadium

Your Favourite Away Stadium

Let me live through you. What's been the best away stadium you've visited with City and why?

Re: Your Favourite Away Stadium

Really like the Hawthorns. - a proper football ground.

Brentford's old ground was good. Fulham is a good away trip.

Forest is a favourite of mine along with Fulham.

Any of the old ones - some already mentioned but in the lower divisions liked Newport Lincoln and Northampton when they had a cricket pitch on the one side - also like the racecourse

Most of the modern ones are bland and sterile flat packs

Barnsley.

Easy parking next to the away stand, views out over the town centre to the Pennines and great ventilation.

Fulham or Burton

Fratton Park. The most similar to Ninian Park, and my three years in college living down there were the three best years of my life. 82-85, Pompey Pompey what’s the time? Great times .

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Fratton Park. The most similar to Ninian Park, and my three years in college living down there were the three best years of my life. 82-85, Pompey Pompey what’s the time? Great times .
    I think I’ve engaged with you before on this but I was also there from 82-85. I still remember the City bus driving through Fratton in the year we both went up and Bob Hatton waving to me and my mates (who were Bristol Rovers and Millwall fans, but were coming to the game with me). I agree Fratton Park was similar to Ninian. Standing on the terrace at The Milton end when we played there was great…. In those 3 years I also watched Pompey a fair bit in with their fans… They had really great support back then. Happy Days… there’s a reunion planned this summer at The Still & West that many of my pals are going to, although I can’t make it sadly.

Others for me nearly all jnvolved standing on away end terraces behind the goal… Chesterfield, Macclesfield come immediately to mind

Yes, we have conversed about our Pompey days previously. It was fortunate that we were in the same division for each of the three years, and other than the City matches, I was in the Fratton End normally supporting Pompey. The. FA Cup match against Southampton in 1983 was as hostile as it gets. I genuinely loved Fratton Park.

I had a pint in the Still and West last year, followed by a few more back out in Southsea at the Festing Inn.( I watchedArsenal v palace in there).I was down there on a bit of work and tried to hold on as Pompey were playing Ipswich the following evening. I couldn’t wangle it unfortunately but Pompey lost 0-4 which wouldn’t have been great to watch in the home end.

Loftus Road is good, you’re right on top of the players.

If wasn’t for all the bloody steps, St James Park. Cracking views over the city, slap bang in the centre of town, good set of home fans.

Strangely, I had this conversation in A and E on Friday night with a Villa fan and a woman whose son supports Everton. Conclusion...depends what you want in an away ground in terms of making it a "favourite". Villa fan went for Spurs' new ground. New, bright and shiny. Somewhere with a bit of character, I'd go for Luton (even if it is a death trap in an emergency). Otherwise, Fulham would be high on the list of favourites out of the older grounds along with The Hawthorns. If I had to go for a newish stadium....Wembley. Just as happy at places like Bath and Taunton though.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Strangely, I had this conversation in A and E on Friday night with a Villa fan and a woman whose son supports Everton. Conclusion...depends what you want in an away ground in terms of making it a "favourite". Villa fan went for Spurs' new ground. New, bright and shiny. Somewhere with a bit of character, I'd go for Luton (even if it is a death trap in an emergency). Otherwise, Fulham would be high on the list of favourites out of the older grounds along with The Hawthorns. If I had to go for a newish stadium....Wembley. Just as happy at places like Bath and Taunton though.
    Taunton? Really? There's not much to it.

Cygnet-Stadium_opt.jpg

Lived in Southampton in the early 80's so went to The Dell quite a bit. Tiny ground but a great atmosphere in the days of Channon, Keegan and Charlie George. Had a strange arrangement on one end with chocolate box terraces on the upper tier with good views of The New Forest in the distance.

I like Hillsborough and agree with Bob about the Hawthorns. Favourite is Portman Rd I think.

Tavistock...close. Sounds like Taunton. Sort of. The anaesthetic is still wearing off.

I liked Southend the low roof really makes the away end sound loud

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I was at Portsmouth Poly '84 to '87 and went to quite a few games, especially in the 86-87 promotion season.

Upton Park. Can’t stand West Ham but you knew you were at a proper ground with proper fans. London Stadium horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Upton Park. Can’t stand West Ham but you knew you were at a proper ground with proper fans. London Stadium horrible.
    Was about to say that as a lost ground. The best modern ground is the Emirates. Traditional for me, given Villa Park and The Hawthorns have been mentioned is The Valley.

Fulham probably top of the list for me.
    Also enjoyed Villa for being a big old style ground and Barnsley for the cricket pitch next door.
    Not too fussed on Loftus Road cos there's no leg room.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Fulham probably top of the list for me.
    Also enjoyed Villa for being a big old style ground and Barnsley for the cricket pitch next door.
    Not too fussed on Loftus Road cos there's no leg room.
    Barnsley or Burnley?

villa park
    best lost ground Highbury

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Really like the Hawthorns. - a proper football ground.
    Hawthorns, City Ground Nottingham, and Ashton Gate 🙂 .. great memories of all and some great atmospheres and games in the past