+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Energy predicted to be up by nearly £1000 pa in October

Re: Energy predicted to be up by nearly £1000 pa in October

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I wonder how long this has been kept on the back burners just waiting to know when Sue Gray's report was being published, then announcing this the day after 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We are just getting shafted here I think….huge profits for all of them. Sse yesterday too obv power isn’t costing them all more, just us.
    I see where you are coming from but I guess the number of energy supply firms (40 in total) going bust would suggest the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I wonder how long this has been kept on the back burners just waiting to know when Sue Gray's report was being published, then announcing this the day after ��
    Politically, any government will manage their press releases, but it's more about trying to time it right. Some calls for windfall taxes may have been premature - most didnt expect the Ukraine war to last this long. It's now clear the crisis is a longer term thing and so action needed for this winter.

But yes, timing is deliberate.

That said, i would rather talk about receiving several hundred pounds than bloody partygate. It's not like it hasnt been talked about!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I see where you are coming from but I guess the number of energy supply firms (40 in total) going bust would suggest the contrary.
    All the big ones doing very well though, did the smaller ones just get there gas through the bigger firms anyway?

This government is absolutely hopeless

By making this a universal hand out its giving away billions of pounds to a lot that don't really need it

This energy aid should be going to the poorest in society

Now it's grab a cash for everyone

Useless bunch of tits

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Politically, any government will manage their press releases, but it's more about trying to time it right. Some calls for windfall taxes may have been premature - most didnt expect the Ukraine war to last this long. It's now clear the crisis is a longer term thing and so action needed for this winter.

But yes, timing is deliberate.

That said, i would rather talk about receiving several hundred pounds than bloody partygate. It's not like it hasnt been talked about!
    That many of us probably don't need ?

Aye just give it away!

I thought you tory boys said it was Labour that staffed away money ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

By making this a universal hand out its giving away billions of pounds to a lot that don't really need it

Useless bunch of tits
    Not watched the announcement, but it’s being reported that the help is targeted. I’m very cynical about the timing of these announcements and it is never a good look for a Government to rubbish an opposition policy and then end up adopting it, but people are getting a bit more and that ludicrous £200 loan has gone.

Useless bunch of tits
    Because it’s not just the poorest in society that will be affected by their energy bills going up nearly £2000 pa in a 12 month.

I’m not poor nor are we anywhere near a minimum wage household but the monthly energy, food and fuel bills going up by around £300 month and the general cost of inflation is tough to swallow for a lot of working families who are not on universal credit

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Because it’s not just the poorest in society that will be affected by their energy bills going up nearly £2000 pa in a 12 month.

I’m not poor nor are we anywhere near a minimum wage household but the monthly energy, food and fuel bills going up by around £300 month and the general cost of inflation is tough to swallow for a lot of working families who are not on universal credit
    I absolutely agree but universal payments , that don't have to be paid back .....for everyone?

That's just daft . He's fishing for votes .

Useless bunch of tits

some might not need it

But a decent % will have felt / be feeling the squeeze on finances

Of course we could just give extra cash to the unemployed and ignore the rest of the country

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    some might not need it

But a decent % will have felt / be feeling the squeeze on finances

Of course we could just give extra cash to the unemployed and ignore the rest of the country
    The benefits system and hand outs from any government needs to be means tested

It's basic common sense

If someone has 5 million in the bank its absolutely crazy to subsidise his or her energy bills

I assume you would agree with that

It's basic common sense

If someone has 5 million in the bank its absolutely crazy to subsidise his or her energy bills

.and what percentage of people have £5 million 'in the bank' ? Probably less than 1 in 10,000.

It's basic common sense

The problem with means testing everything is that its expensive. It's the same reason why Wales gives free prescriptions to the richest people living in Wales too.

I absolutely agree but universal payments , that don't have to be paid back .....for everyone?

Of course he is. Its no coincidence the OFGEM story about bills going up another £800 in October just happened to come out the day before the Partygate report, and now Sunak announcing this extra help the day after. Stevie Wonder can see whats gone on here.

People on universal credit/pension credit. Pay no rent. council tax. They get 2 payments of £650.
    Hardworking families with mortgages get £200 plus an extra £200 quid.
    Sunak thinks he's clever but there's a large disparity there.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    People on universal credit/pension credit. Pay no rent. council tax.
    Hardworking families with mortgages get £200 plus an extra £200 quid.
    Pensioners like myself pay council tax. Repairs on my house on a limited Income. Vote winner not for me it's not
    Most of that is literally not true. Also, working people on low income also get universal credit, help with rent, council tax reduction.

The official definition of fuel poverty is where someone spends more than 10% of their net income on energy costs. My wife and are pensioners but do not consider ourselves to be poor as I get about £450 a month from a private pension on top of our state pensions. However as my electricity cost has doubled and heating oil has also almost doubled, we are now in fuel poverty!

Of course he is. Its no coincidence the OFGEM story about bills going up another £800 in October just happened to come out the day before the Partygate report, and now Sunak announcing this extra help the day after. Stevie Wonder can see whats gone on here.
    A bit paranoid Hartley lol i doubt OFGEM are in on it

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The official definition of fuel poverty is where someone spends more than 10% of their net income on energy costs. My wife and are pensioners but do not consider ourselves to be poor as I get about £450 a month from a private pension on top of our state pensions. However as my electricity cost has doubled and heating oil has also almost doubled, we are now in fuel poverty!
    That's the point I was making. People just above the threshold get peanuts.
    Not on pension credit. £750
    Made up of £400 grant paid to our energy company. Plus Pensioner fuel allowance £350.
    On pension credit at least £1300 plus £400 quid grant plus £350 heating allowance.

Heaven forbid a politician "fishing for votes" in a democracy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Wrong, they weren't energy suppliers they were middle men, you or me could have opened one. There is no crisis only record profits and this is not a one off, these prices will be here to stay as the norm.

International

It's basic common sense

Everyone one is looking at it from their own point of view (or that of their kids and families) there is no perfect measure, the poor will say give us more, the middle will say give it to us, we pay the taxes for it and why should we lose out, and the rich will say we employ people, pay more into the system than anyone else.

It's a help for everyone there is no perfect answer, it sounds like the most vulnerable will get a bit more and pensioners a bit extra too, you can never please everyone but it lloks like they've tried to help as many people as they can. Like it or not it's a step in the right direction.

International

Yep it's happened for years, dead cat theory to try and change the subject so we all forget partygate.

Tories don't do windfall tax and hand out proceeds as benefits: Bad

Tories announce a windfall tax and hand out proceeds as benefits: Bad.

You don't have to be Stevie Wonder to see whats going on in your thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Tories don't do windfall tax and hand out proceeds as benefits: Bad

Tories announce a windfall tax and hand out proceeds as benefits: Bad.

You don't have to be Stevie Wonder to see whats going on in your thinking!
    Hartley is thinking about the cynical timing and the motivation for doing this.

You are thinking a big thumbs up to the government and totally avoiding the point of his post is what is needed here.

That's what Stevie thinks.