+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Teacher and 14 children killed Texas

First Team

Re: Teacher and 14 children killed Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    But they would say otherwise, that's the problem. They would say 'effing Democrats wont allow us to protect kids at school gates'..'gun crime is much worse in cities run by effing Democrats', 'effing Democrats want criminals to have guns and us not be able to protect ourselves', 'effing Democrats want to defund the police' etc etc. Just responding with 'well effing Republicans do this' etc doesnt help.

It just makes actually finding a solution harder because views become entrenched along party lines when they shouldn't.

There is clearly common ground that no one wants children killed in schools, and there is probably room for compromise if people realise their second amendment rights are protected, whilst getting real restrictions on the most devastating weapons and perhaps boosting security at schools, i dunno.

What I do know, is it turning into a political slanging match won't help, it will actually likely make things worse. Sensible politicians on both sides need to work on this and try and ignore the radicals (from their perspective) on both sides.
    Jimbo, my old mate, this is not specifically directed at you, more the general debate in the last couple of pages on this thread.

Unless you actually live in the US and experience what goes on here, it isn't fair to draw inferences about what is going on. I'll say upfront that I'm a liberal progressive but I'll try to be as balanced as I'm able.

A few local-based observations on Trump Republicanism.

The Republican Party has clearly been hijacked by Trump and his followers. Personally, I don't actually think Trump believes in anything apart from feeding his own ego. He will quite literally do and say anything that he thinks benefits him.

What Trump has done is create a caucus of (normally) well-meaning people who are scared to dissent from what are quite clearly fantasist nonsenses and other marginalized groups who compete to invent ever more crazy conspiracies. I don't think people on here realize quite how bad this has become. Here's an example of how dangerous some of the Trump Republicans are. Trump lost in Arizona, not by a huge margin, but nevertheless a statistically significant one (11k+ votes). The local Republicans, ostensibly to prostrate themselves at Trump's feet, actually formed an armed group at the office of the person in charge of the elections and counts. It was covered on TV live for a few days because the media thought there might be an armed conflict outside the Az Secretary of State's Office (I know this for a fact - two local reporters told me independently). And yes some of them were open carrying assault weapons of the kind associated with mass shootings. Think about that for a second. They were actually trying to intimidate state workers and officials into "fixing" the election while the police stood on and watched. And this is not an isolated incident.

Trump has driven "good" (respectful of laws and the Constitution) Republicans out of their own party. Example - I work with someone who is running to be Arizona Attorney General. She held public office for years as a Republican but is now running as a Democrat because she became unpalatable to her own party. And she's no withering, secret liberal, she just wouldn't bow to Trump.

Trump has also managed to deeply affect the Democratic Party. The senior Arizona Senator (Sinema, a Democrat) acts just like a Republican because she is scared that if she doesn't appeal to some of Trump's base she will lose her reelection fight. Actually, Sinema has something in common with Trump, I've met her a couple of times and I would say she would do or say anything to inflate her hold on power and her ego. Democrats are actually scared to put up election posters and fliers in rural parts of Arizona because of the reprisals they fear.

There is no compromise on any issue with the Trump Republican Party. They aren't interested. That, I think, is why any attempt at gun control will fail (at the moment).

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Most Democrats would do something but they've got a couple (Manchin, Sinema) who are basically republicans and block everything.

Not a single republican would vote for gun control measures.

Saying that the current democrats are pretty right wing as the UK and USA have gone extremely right over the past decade.
    Not all Democrats are right wing and not all Republicans are left wing. Two words: Bernie Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Not all Democrats are right wing and not all Republicans are left wing. Two words: Bernie Sanders.
    Did you accidentally switch democrats and the gop there?

Yes I know Bernie Sanders and think he's a good person, but he is in the minority.

Most Democrats would do something but they've got a couple (Manchin, Sinema) who are basically republicans and block everything.

Not a single republican would vote for gun control measures.

Saying that the current democrats are pretty right wing as the UK and USA have gone extremely right over the past decade.
    he hasn't heard of the filibuster

First Team

Did you accidentally switch democrats and the gop there?

Yes I know Bernie Sanders and think he's a good person, but he is in the minority.
    I guess I went over the top in trying to point out the variety of views in both parties (in normal times).

Bernie Sanders is not in the minority as much as you may think in the Democratic Party. He got something like 40% of the vote in Az in the Democratic primary in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I guess I went over the top in trying to point out the variety of views in both parties (in normal times).

Bernie Sanders is not in the minority as much as you may think in the Democratic Party. He got something like 40% of the vote in Az in the Democratic primary in 2020.
    40% voted for him yes but actual Democrats who got elected how many would actually be considered left? 10?

Opinions such as a certain party in USA values guns more than children? Well if that ‘entrenches views’ then we haven’t got much hope have we?

International

200 mass shootings this year in around 150 days. I bet you wrote that thinking it was a really good point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...States_in_2022
    I just asked the question because your post suggested to me that the days you were speaking about were in the week up to this occurrence, and I hadn't seen or heard any reference to them.

This will surely play right into the hands of the NRA and their supporters:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61615236

Woman bystander kills would-be attacker. Quote: "she's just a member of the community who was carrying her weapon lawfully," he said. "And instead of running from the threat she engaged with the threat and saved several lives."

The attacker was reportedly shot multiple times so it begs the question what kind of kind of gun this lady just happened to be carrying! Also I wonder if the response would have been a bit different if some of the shots had missed and hit another bystander?

What's is odd about this story is someone targeted 40 people with an assault rifle and there are no reports of injuries.

Re: Teacher and *19* children killed Texas

So it seems 19 armed 'good guys' with guns waited for around an hour before entering the school to get the 'bad guy' with a gun... How is that working out for the republicans? Fecks sake

Correction... some police officers DID enter the school before the large raid, to get their own children out, but left other peoples children.

America is sick and broken.

I live in a 'developing' country - we have huge problems, but compared to America I know which one is s "shit hole".

Nothing will happen!

The shooter in Uvalde bought two assault-style weapons just after his 18th birthday. He brought 48 magazines with him, accounting for 1,687 rounds of ammunition.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ilures-emerge/