+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher and 14 children killed Texas

Re: Teacher and 14 children killed Texas

Any threads an argument waiting to happen never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    A plea.

I think discussing issues like this is important but I'd like to ask everyone not to engage in broad offensive generalizations that Americans are "all crazy", it's a "****ed-up country" and we are all "gun-loving loons" etc because it's unfair. It's akin to asserting all muslims are terrorists.

The US is a huge country with diverse ethnicities, subcultures and outlooks. In fact that is, to me, one of the things that makes it so fascinating and beautiful. Clearly there is something wrong with a political system that is unwilling and/or unable to deal with gun violence. There are many completely entrenched views on the gun-lobby side born of ignorance and laziness. BUT there are many people who don't share those views.

And for the record: born in Cardiff, live in Arizona, US citizen, UK subject.
    Well said AZ

As I've said earlier, I think with a bit of tilted thinking, even though I don't agree with it, it's possible to understand the right to bear arms, protect ones family, keep a check on the government and all that. It's the assault weapons I don't understand.

An interesting article on that here:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-ar-15-n831171

I'm all for cultural differences but not when it's used to kill kids.

In Texas apparently it is illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 21 years old yet it's ok to sell an assault rifle to an 18 year old! What a crazy situation. I guess the old adage "you get the society you deserve" comes to mind yet again. If you are happy to have the right to bear arms and have the occasional massacre of school children and do nothing about it, well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    In Texas apparently it is illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 21 years old yet it's ok to sell an assault rifle to an 18 year old! What a crazy situation. I guess the old adage "you get the society you deserve" comes to mind yet again. If you are happy to have the right to bear arms and have the occasional massacre of school children and do nothing about it, well.....
    That is the law yes, crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    That is the law yes, crazy.
    Absolutely ridiculous. Can drive at 16 too I believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ew-gun-control

On Thursday, the news site Axios published a list of the leading recipients of gun lobby donations in the current Congress.

Cruz was clear at the top, with $442,000 donated to campaign organisations or political action committees.

Axios noted: “The figures are much higher if you count indirect contributions, like the NRA’s purchase of attack ads against opponents.”

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ew-gun-control

On Thursday, the news site Axios published a list of the leading recipients of gun lobby donations in the current Congress.

Cruz was clear at the top, with $442,000 donated to campaign organisations or political action committees.

Axios noted: “The figures are much higher if you count indirect contributions, like the NRA’s purchase of attack ads against opponents.”
    I noticed those figures too in a Statista email I got. The utterly appalling thing about all this is the root of everything is just plain greed for power and money by the gun lobby/(predominantly) rightwing political nexus being traded off against little kids' lives. Truly venal individuals.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. Can drive at 16 too I believe.
    It's 14 in some states. You can drive alone with a learners' permit. There is just no logic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    It's 14 in some states. You can drive alone with a learners' permit. There is just no logic to it.
    I wouldn't trust a lot of 14 year old to ride a bike on the road let alone a car.

Monday - Mass shooting
    Tuesday - Mass shooting
    Wednesday - Mass shooting
    Thursday - Mass shooting
    Friday - Mass shooting
    Saturday - Mass shooting
    Sunday - Mass shooting

Republicans - 'We need to do something about trans people in sports.'

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Monday - Mass shooting
    Tuesday - Mass shooting
    Thursday - Mass shooting
    Friday - Mass shooting
    Saturday - Mass shooting
    Sunday - Mass shooting

One every day? where were they? I only heard about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yeah there were only 30 schoolkids killed so far this year and 40 more wounded. Good point well made!

Fuuuuccckkiiiinngggg whoosh

Monday - Mass shooting
    Tuesday - Mass shooting
    Thursday - Mass shooting
    Friday - Mass shooting
    Saturday - Mass shooting
    Sunday - Mass shooting

You cant help yourself can you? Stupid post, and the exact kind of thing that divisive people on the left and right post at times like this that prevents lawmakers from coming together to make meaningful change. This is only a football messageboard but your rhetoric is replicated in the real world and helps to prevent progress.

The exact charge you make (I say you, but I assume it was taken off some twitter loon) is used by people on the right against Sadiq Khan and stabbings etc. Infantile.

You cant help yourself can you? Stupid post, and the exact kind of thing that divisive people on the left and right post at times like this that prevents lawmakers from coming together to make meaningful change. This is only a football messageboard but your rhetoric is replicated in the real world and helps to prevent progress.

The exact charge you make (I say you, but I assume it was taken off some twitter loon) is used by people on the right against Sadiq Khan and stabbings etc. Infantile.
    'StOp CaLlInG oUt ThE pEoPlE rEsPoNsIbLe iT hUrTs mY fEeLiNgS'

Did I touch a nerve snowflake?

Show me concrete actions the republicans have taken to reduce murders of children in schools and I'll apologise. Republicans care more about making trans kids miserable and banning books than they do mass shootings.

You're like the old guard in the Beto O'Rourke confrontation, care more about the fact O Rourke has said something they don't like over an utter failure of government which has led to this. https://youtu.be/1URrbry5Nl0

200 mass shootings this year in around 150 days. I bet you wrote that thinking it was a really good point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_202 2

'StOp CaLlInG oUt ThE pEoPlE rEsPoNsIbLe iT hUrTs mY fEeLiNgS'

Did I touch a nerve snowflake?

Show me concrete actions the republicans have taken to reduce murders of children in schools and I'll apologise. Republicans care more about making trans kids miserable and banning books than they do mass shootings.

You're like the old guard in the Beto O'Rourke confrontation, care more about the fact O Rourke has said something they don't like over an utter failure of government which has led to this. https://youtu.be/1URrbry5Nl0
    No nerve touched, no need for you to apologise. It just frustrates me because it's opinions like yours that only entrench views more and make meaningful change more difficult. Making everything partisan and sectarian doesn't help. Both sides (politically) need to come together to sort this problem which is quite clearly linked to the ability to possess assault weapons and a widespread mental health crisis.

No nerve touched, no need for you to apologise. It just frustrates me because it's opinions like yours that only entrench views more and make meaningful change more difficult. Making everything partisan and sectarian doesn't help. Both sides (politically) need to come together to sort this problem which is quite clearly linked to the ability to possess assault weapons and a widespread mental health crisis.
    But one side is utterly refusing to do a single thing about it. When that fails they deserve to be made to look stupid.

But one side is utterly refusing to do a single thing about it. When that fails they deserve to be made to look stupid.
    But they would say otherwise, that's the problem. They would say 'effing Democrats wont allow us to protect kids at school gates'..'gun crime is much worse in cities run by effing Democrats', 'effing Democrats want criminals to have guns and us not be able to protect ourselves', 'effing Democrats want to defund the police' etc etc. Just responding with 'well effing Republicans do this' etc doesnt help.

It just makes actually finding a solution harder because views become entrenched along party lines when they shouldn't.

There is clearly common ground that no one wants children killed in schools, and there is probably room for compromise if people realise their second amendment rights are protected, whilst getting real restrictions on the most devastating weapons and perhaps boosting security at schools, i dunno.

What I do know, is it turning into a political slanging match won't help, it will actually likely make things worse. Sensible politicians on both sides need to work on this and try and ignore the radicals (from their perspective) on both sides.

Monday - Mass shooting
    Tuesday - Mass shooting
    Thursday - Mass shooting
    Friday - Mass shooting
    Saturday - Mass shooting
    Sunday - Mass shooting

Democrats in power nothing happening either

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Republicans in the Senate have blocked even the most minimal gun control legislation for 2 years.

Democrats in power, though (eh)?

I'm waiting to hear from you how this is really a failure of the UK Labour Party - I know you can't resist!

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...lation/638425/

In their opposition to gun control, Republicans in Congress clearly are prioritizing the sentiments of gun owners in their party over any other perspective, even that of other Republican voters.

The Pew polling found that significant majorities of Americans support background checks (81 percent), an assault-weapons ban (63 percent), and a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines (64 percent); a majority also opposes concealed carry of weapons without a permit.

Majorities of Republicans who don’t own guns shared those opinions, as did Democratic gun owners, by even more lopsided margins. Even most Republicans who do own guns said in the polling that they support background checks and oppose permitless concealed carry (which more red states, including Texas, are authorizing).

Despite all of this, Republican elected officials, in their near-lockstep opposition to gun control, have bent to groups like the NRA in equating almost any restrictions as a sign of disrespect to the values of red America.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Most Democrats would do something but they've got a couple (Manchin, Sinema) who are basically republicans and block everything.

Not a single republican would vote for gun control measures.

Saying that the current democrats are pretty right wing as the UK and USA have gone extremely right over the past decade.