+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any eco systems experts on here?

First Team

Any eco systems experts on here?

My questions relate to mid/west Wales - just south of Aber.

Generally how big is a typical PV system?

What FITs are operating/available?

Anyone know how effective air source heat pumps are?

(And I know this is probably daft) Are there many EV charging points around?

Thanks for sensible and insensible replies (if they are funny).

Re: Any eco systems experts on here?

Not a helpful reply information wise, but as with anything on here ccmb will have an expert.

Sorry I'm stupidly restless and can't sleep. No hijacking intended I'm sure you'll get a worthy reply soon enough.

Re: Any eco systems experts on here?

Not sure about EV charging points in your area, but if you're concerned about environmental sustainbility, I wouldn't buy an EV. In my opinion the environment is being exploited by car makers who are just using EVs as the next shiny new thing to sell to you.

I'd be interested to see actual figures and research on this, but it's my guess that you would have to drive an EV for a very long time before you begin to offset the carbon emissions of building the vehicle in the first place and for the planet to reap the negligible benefit.

It's worth considering the extra 2-3 tonnes of waste created at the end of the vehicle's life, which will then need to be recycled, including the high-voltage batteries.

It's also worth looking at how we procure the resources needed to make the Lithium batteries. To use Bolivia as an example, the UK supported a military coup against the democratically elected president in 2019. Months later, the British ambassador met with the head of the state-owned lithium company and British interests are now investing in lithium projects in Bolivia. Personally, I'm not sure a shiny new EV is worth contributing to the destruction of democracy in other countries, just so I can feel (falsely) that I'm doing my bit for the environment. Source for this:

https://declassifieduk.org/the-briti...ported-a-coup/

I've worked and taught in the motor industry all my adult life, I'm a member of the IMI and am trained on the repair, removal and reinstatement of high voltage systems on electric and hybrid vehicles. Not sure if that qualifies me as an expert though