+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: **** the Jubilee

**** the Jubilee

Fair enough if you're into it, but all this jubilee nonsense is almost vomit inducing for me.

Yesterday on 5live they had some horrendous stories of people struggling to cope with the cost of living crisis, really heartbreaking decisions that people have had to make - and then they move seamlessly onto the next story which was about the jubilee and how everyone is going to celebrate.
    Struggling to make ends meet? don't worry, take your minds off it by celebrating the family we give millions of pounds to every year and allow them to live in literal palaces.

Can you imagine selling the concept to a country that doesn't have a monarch? well you all give them a little bit of money every year and let them live the life of luxury, then once every few years everyone is allowed one day off work, which we say is due to the royals. They must think we're all complete mugs.

Re: **** the Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Fair enough if you're into it, but all this jubilee nonsense is almost vomit inducing for me.

Yesterday on 5live they had some horrendous stories of people struggling to cope with the cost of living crisis, really heartbreaking decisions that people have had to make - and then they move seamlessly onto the next story which was about the jubilee and how everyone is going to celebrate.
    Struggling to make ends meet? don't worry, take your minds off it by celebrating the family we give millions of pounds to every year and allow them to live in literal palaces.

Can you imagine selling the concept to a country that doesn't have a monarch? well you all give them a little bit of money every year and let them live the life of luxury, then once every few years everyone is allowed one day off work, which we say is due to the royals. They must think we're all complete mugs.
    Live and let live for goodness sake. These kind of rants are no different to people moaning about pride marches etc. If you dont like it, don't go to any events. If you want to celebrate with your community, then do it.

It's also no different to talking about the cost of living and then going over to talk about the results of 22 millionaires kicking a ball about - should we stop all football results until inflation falls to 2% again?

Even when times are tough, people often want something to make themselves feel better.

£1 billion on the jubilee and yet they tried to deny an extra £20 million to feed kids.

Will never understand people who worship royalty and cringe like this https://youtu.be/yo8vqIqCgRw

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Live and let live for goodness sake. These kind of rants are no different to people moaning about pride marches etc. If you dont like it, don't go to any events. If you want to celebrate with your community, then do it.

It's also no different to talking about the cost of living and then going over to talk about the results of 22 millionaires kicking a ball about - should we stop all football results until inflation falls to 2% again?

Even when times are tough, people often want something to make themselves feel better.
    Lost for words at you comparing pride to the jubilee. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    That's because you have a complete inability to view anything from anyone else's perspective.

My point is, rants like this are no different to people who complain about things like pride. If you aren't interested in it, don't attend, simple as that.

Like I said, live and let live.

That's because you have a complete inability to view anything from anyone else's perspective.

My point is, rants like this are no different to people who complain about things like pride. If you aren't interested in it, don't attend, simple as that.

Like I said, live and let live.
    My first line was "fair enough if you're into it"

I'm just voicing my opinion, that royalty is a ridiculous anachronism, and its time we grew up as a country and got rid of them all.

My first line was "fair enough if you're into it"

I'm just voicing my opinion, that royalty is a ridiculous anachronism, and its time we grew up as a country and got rid of them all.
    Which is a very valid opinion to have.

However, in my house, my kids are currently excited about what to wear for their school parties and events, and asking whether there will be a street party where we live etc (there wont, unfortunately).

So saying "f**k the jubilee" sounds like a different take to me.

On the wider republican debate, I'm rather neutral. In an ideal society you would of course have an elected head of state, but history matters and we don't have that, instead we have a wholly powerless head of state who provides a degree of stability and political neutrality that is perhaps positive in some respects.

Either way, she has been on the thrown for 70 years, she's one of the few living symbols tying our history together, and if people want to celebrate, good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Yeah, that's embarrassing.

It's a great shame that when we had a revolution it replaced the king with a puritan lunatic and the monarchy was soon restored.
    This book is a real eye-opener if you think the royals are just a quaint, harmless bit of living history https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...w_myk_ro_title

Lets hope the anti royalists don't take the day off .

Including those politcial parties wanting a republic .

Bread and Circuses

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, that's embarrassing.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lets hope the anti royalists don't take the day off .

Including those politcial parties wanting a republic .
    I'll make you a deal, I won't take the day off if we get rid of the royals.

I don't know what's being celebrated. Tradition and identity? Then what tradition and identity? It's all rather dubious. Elizabeth Windsor was 26 when her father died and in amidst that grief is told she has his job now and will until she dies herself. (She might've had a choice but not really). Why doesn't anyone let her retire? It's an example of duty over humanity (and common sense) and it's in the bones of the country.

Some think she brings stability and solace in times of need, which I find bizarre and quasi-religious. Notwithstanding the money and undemocratic nature it all seems perverse, especially the fairytale titles that perpetuate this strange hierarchy. Ah well, enjoy your cake.

I just don't understand why we have to an English "Prince of Wales".
    Poor old Charlie Boy must be the oldest apprentice on the planet.

Live and let live for goodness sake. These kind of rants are no different to people moaning about pride marches etc.
    What the actual ****, yes it is different

I don't mind living and letting live but let them fund it themselves.
    And before someone says they bring more money in than it costs us I don't want value for money I just don't want them.
    The French beheaded their monarchy and they've managed to survive tourism wise.

Live and let live for goodness sake. These kind of rants are no different to people moaning about pride marches etc.]
    WTF.😂😂😂😂

International

Looking on the bright side, it will be nice to have a few extra days off, and it will make some old dears very happy

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I don't mind living and letting live but let them fund it themselves.
    And before someone says they bring more money in than it costs us I don't want value for money I just don't want them.
    The French beheaded their monarchy and they've managed to survive tourism wise.
    I agree.

what a happy bunch we have on here, good job no-one mentioned battenburg cake

If you don't like queenie, dont participate, stay at home, get online and rant about it ( please dont annoy shoppers at your local supermarket ranting at them ) or maybe just ignore it sit in the garden and listen to the birds singing ( though this might be a risk as you might hear other having fun )

If you do like queenie, enjoy the few days, put up bunting, bake a cake, attend a street party, you can even sing sweet Caroline at the end of the day

If you are indifferent about queenie, spend the few days extra of with your friends or family, dip in and out of the occasion

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what a happy bunch we have on here, good job no-one mentioned battenburg cake

If you don't like queenie, dont participate, stay at home, get online and rant about it ( please dont annoy shoppers at your local supermarket ranting at them ) or maybe just ignore it sit in the garden and listen to the birds singing ( though this might be a risk as you might hear other having fun )

If you do like queenie, enjoy the few days, put up bunting, bake a cake, attend a street party, you can even sing sweet Caroline at the end of the day

If you are indifferent about queenie, spend the few days extra of with your friends or family, dip in and out of the occasion
    I think I now dislike people that use the word queenie more than the queen.

Considering I hate the Saxe Coburgs that's impressive.

Being the Head of State merely due to the bed one was born in is a ludicrous concept to me - and the incumbent has considerable influence one way or another and is definitely part of the establishment. It's all part of a bigger picture than includes/included hereditary peerages, party-political life peerages, the Honours List in general, the class divide (and who remembers when two people surviving the sinking of a ship would be given different honours, dependent on their rank), boarding schools and members of the armed forces officers being separated in eating facilities etc. depending on their rank.
    Add the fact that we are all subjects of The Crown and also that MP's and peers need to swear that they will be faithful to the monarch, it's not me, old fruits.

I'm not a raving monarchist, but I do think the monarchy is something to be proud of. Generally speaking, constitutional monarchies are pretty good examples of government - think Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Japan, Holland, Canada, Australia, etc. That's not to say that having a president instead isn't a good move, it's just we choose not to. And it brings in the tourists.
    It's not like the Queen throws her weight around or anything.