+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: **** the Jubilee

Re: **** the Jubilee

Also boycott Greggs purely for "platty joobs"

https://twitter.com/GreggsOfficial/s...NOwN3UhGb8KHSw

International

[QUOTE=delmbox;5305912]Hang on a minute here, you can't post something misleading and then snarkily moan with your butty when people point out it's not exactly the home run you suggested.

Yes he can clearly. he just did it!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Hang on a minute here, you can't post something misleading and then snarkily moan with your butty when people point out it's not exactly the home run you suggested.

That article barely mentions the jubilee as the reason for booming sales, it says there's a busy schedule in Cardiff which is bringing thousands of people in. The events in question are Ed Sheeran (240,000 people), one of the biggest football matches in Welsh history and various other smaller gigs as well as whatever's going on for queenie. I think you're bright enough to know that if there's a massive amount of people in Cardiff over this period, percentage wise the jubilee is a very small part of the reason for that.

In fact the only mention of the jubilee in real terms is one shop saying they're selling a lot of bunting and facemasks, and a Professor from Cardiff Uni saying that although some sectors will get a boost, overall the previous jubilees created a net loss of output.

Sorry if you think that's being negative but it's like saying that Sunday is a fantastic day for the groundsman because 33000 people are there to admire the grass

Actually it's generally positive about stuff happening this weekend, based on what FOR Cardiff are saying based on conversations with businesses - it mentions the gigs last weekend as well.

Obviously, as with any bank holiday, other parts of the economy are shut down, as it's more like a sunday than a normal Thursday or Friday.

Nonetheless, it's plainly a positive article.

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;5305941]
    Hang on a minute here, you can't post something misleading and then snarkily moan with your butty when people point out it's not exactly the home run you suggested.

Yes he can clearly. he just did it!
    ****, he did too

Also boycott Greggs purely for "platty joobs"

https://twitter.com/GreggsOfficial/s...NOwN3UhGb8KHSw
    Purely to confuse the culture war warriors I am keen for the queen to endorse Greggs vegan sausage roll.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Purely to confuse the culture war warriors I am keen for the queen to endorse Greggs vegan sausage roll.
    Royal Warranty revenues worth 4.5billion.pa

49.9 in tourism revenues pa.

Can't image how many jobs are generated for many folk ?

All of above generate needed tax revenues .

Pubs and hotels are "absolutely booming" as events including the Platinum Jubilee weekend draw crowds, Cardiff's business group has said.
    FOR Cardiff said "tens of thousands" of people were attending a busy schedule of events across the half term week.
    Celebrations began with three nights of Ed Sheeran concerts in Cardiff, with a Wales match and Jubilee events to come.
    Economist, Prof Max Munday from Cardiff University said the extra bank holiday was likely to cut productivity overall.
    Half term began with Ed Sheeran performing to thousands of fans at the Principality Stadium, although the volume of visitors has caused traffic and travel issues.
    Upcoming jubilee celebrations include a military music parade in Cardiff Bay on Thursday, followed by the lighting of a beacon in the evening.
    Aled Jones and Bonnie Tyler will headline a concert at Cardiff Castle on Saturday night, while a Big Jubilee Picnic takes place at Bute Park on Sunday.
    Football fans will also descend on the city on Sunday to watch Wales play either Scotland or Ukraine in the World Cup play-off following their game later.

its all pretty positive stuff in the 1st section of the article, crowds coming out for Ed ( who is most probably hated on here ) Jubilee events ( enough said about that ) and the Football ( which we should like on here, but depends on if people have had some happy juice )
    these business's who have struggled for the last 2 years are now taking a few quid

as you were though

In fact the only mention of the jubilee in real terms is one shop saying they're selling a lot of bunting and facemasks, and a Professor from Cardiff Uni saying that although some sectors will get a boost, overall the previous jubilees created a net loss of output.
    you might have missed this bit from the article

Upcoming jubilee celebrations include a military music parade in Cardiff Bay on Thursday, followed by the lighting of a beacon in the evening.
    Aled Jones and Bonnie Tyler will headline a concert at Cardiff Castle on Saturday night, while a Big Jubilee Picnic takes place at Bute Park on Sunday.

which will bring in more people who might spend money

Of course, the roads will be busy, the car parks full and the pavements full of litter

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Royal Warranty revenues worth 4.5billion.pa

49.9 in tourism revenues pa.

Can't image how many jobs are generated for many folk ?

All of above generate needed tax revenues .
    49.9 what in tourism revenue? million?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Pubs and hotels are "absolutely booming" as events including the Platinum Jubilee weekend draw crowds, Cardiff's business group has said.
    FOR Cardiff said "tens of thousands" of people were attending a busy schedule of events across the half term week.
    Celebrations began with three nights of Ed Sheeran concerts in Cardiff, with a Wales match and Jubilee events to come.
    Economist, Prof Max Munday from Cardiff University said the extra bank holiday was likely to cut productivity overall.
    Half term began with Ed Sheeran performing to thousands of fans at the Principality Stadium, although the volume of visitors has caused traffic and travel issues.
    Football fans will also descend on the city on Sunday to watch Wales play either Scotland or Ukraine in the World Cup play-off following their game later.

its all pretty positive stuff in the 1st section of the article, crowds coming out for Ed ( who is most probably hated on here ) Jubilee events ( enough said about that ) and the Football ( which we should like on here, but depends on if people have had some happy juice )
    these business's who have struggled for the last 2 years are now taking a few quid

as you were though
    Yeah, everyone on this thread who doesn't subscribe to the Monarchy or celebrating them are just miserable bastards who don't know how to have a good time, forget the detail, isn't that just a bit simplistic? It would be like me saying that those who do celebrate Queenies reign are a bit thick and don't really understand their History, but that would be wrong of me to say, and a bit simplistic

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    49.9 what in tourism revenue? million?
    No it's imperial (see what I did there?) 49 shillings and 9pence, or to put it another way £2, 9s 9d, or £2/9/9d.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, everyone on this thread who doesn't subscribe to the Monarchy or celebrating them are just miserable bastards who don't know how to have a good time, forget the detail, isn't that just a bit simplistic? It would be like me saying that those who do celebrate Queenies reign are a bit thick and don't really understand their History, but that would be wrong of me to say, and a bit simplistic
    Oh come on, its not just this thread or the Monarchy, some on here must wake up and think " what can I be miserable about today " ( not sure if its always been like this or its a recent thing thats happened over Covid times )

Oh come on, its not just this thread or the Monarchy, some on here must wake up and think " what can I be miserable about today " ( not sure if its always been like this or its a recent thing thats happened over Covid times )
    Well I'm swanning around in the Arctic Circle at the moment and having a whale of a time (although not whaling). I don't look for things to be miserable about but considered at a very early age the concepts of gods and royalty rather silly and infantilising. I hope that's OK with you.

Over a billion likely to watch the event , not bad for a member of the Royal Family .

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well I'm swanning around in the Arctic Circle at the moment and having a whale of a time (although not whaling). I don't look for things to be miserable about but considered at a very early age the concepts of gods and royalty rather silly and infantilising. I hope that's OK with you.
    yes thats fine with me

I just hope you are not moaning that its cold outside

I took my son who is born in Sweden to London and to Buckingham palace..And he said "whats that dad? a prison? or a facililty ( he's good at English) for the mentally ill?" and i said "It's both son, well spotted".

Now that is where we agree.

you might have missed this bit from the article

which will bring in more people who might spend money

Of course, the roads will be busy, the car parks full and the pavements full of litter
    As much as I think that the jubilee's bollocks I haven't actually been railing against it on here. My point is that it's Ed Sheeran and the Wales game that are bringing the vast vast majority of those people in not Aled Jones and Bonnie Tyler doing a concert that's not even sold out, so using that article as some sort of gotcha about the jubilee's positive impact is a bit disingenuous.

What about this bit?

"Generally, if we were to look at the Golden Jubilee, and the Diamond Jubilee back in 2012, overall most of the assessments show there was probably a net loss of output."

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I took my son who is born in Sweden to London and to Buckingham palace..And he said "whats that dad? a prison? or a facililty ( he's good at English) for the mentally ill?" and i said "It's both son, well spotted".
    i took my dog for a walk , we walked passed a labour club and my dog said [in welsh] is that the club of the voice of the working class? i said '' not any more boy not any more.

[QUOTE=life on mars;5303945]Lets hope the anti royalists don't take the day off .

Including those politcial parties wanting a republic .[/QUOTEY
    You make it sound like lizzies mob are paying the bank holiday time off NO it’s the employer’s who are forced to pay it
    Our site is now closed till Monday morning so in effect I’ve lost money because the site I work on is shut over the weekend so no I can’t work and will lose money over this pile of s..t

I have not replied to any of the views expressed so far as I can't be a**ed to get into a Monarchy v Republic dogfight

But I will say this. There are millions of people in this country who feel great joy when there is a national celebration such as the Jubilee and after going through the pain and suffering of the last few years I think it is an occasion to be savoured.

I am not an avid Royallist but I do appreciate the fact that many countries are very respectful of our monarchy and quite envious of the pomp and pageantry on show. Not to mention the history and traditions involved.

I'm pleased that in such times, the people of this country have something to celebrate and I for one would never begrudge them that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I have not replied to any of the views expressed so far as I can't be a**ed to get into a Monarchy v Republic dogfight

But I will say this. There are millions of people in this country who feel great joy when there is a national celebration such as the Jubilee and after going through the pain and suffering of the last few years I think it is an occasion to be savoured.

I am not an avid Royallist but I do appreciate the fact that many countries are very respectful of our monarchy and quite envious of the pomp and pageantry on show. Not to mention the history and traditions involved.

I'm pleased that in such times, the people of this country have something to celebrate and I for one would never begrudge them that.
    Other nations have independence day celebrations or commemorate when they became a republic. We could do that. We could have any kind of national celebration. The party isn't the issue.

Which countries are respectful and envious of our pomp, pageantry, history and traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Like you I have resisted this debate until now.
    These are wonderful celebrations for a devoted Queen, who has served her country dutifully all these decades - she has in effect given her life to the country. What is wrong with people that they cannot respect tradition? If you don't like it you do not have to take part in it. Free views on the subject are all well and good, but sometimes, just sometimes, it is respectful to keep quiet whatever those views.

Not a fan of the Royals at all and at a time where a lot of the country are struggling it seems ridiculous to spend so much money on these celebrations

I was down the Bay earlier though and it was lovely to see so many people out and about celebrating something. Two years of Covid were forgotten for at least a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Like you I have resisted this debate until now.
    These are wonderful celebrations for a devoted Queen, who has served her country dutifully all these decades - she has in effect given her life to the country. What is wrong with people that they cannot respect tradition? If you don't like it you do not have to take part in it. Free views on the subject are all well and good, but sometimes, just sometimes, it is respectful to keep quiet whatever those views.
    I wouldn't propose that people on here keep their views to themselves, even though I find many of the things spouted are occasionally disrespectful and worse. Sometimes it's best to stand aside and let people air their grievances regardless of how polarised they maybe from your own personal standpoint.