+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sam Bowen to Newport - now official

Sam Bowen to Newport - now official

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/new...ign-sam-bowen/

Newport County AFC are delighted to announce that we have agreed an undisclosed deal with Cardiff City for the signing of Sam Bowen.

Sam will become the club's first signing of the summer window when the deal officially goes through once the transfer window opens on June 10.

After progressing through the ranks of Cardiff's Academy, Sam earned caps for his country Wales at U17, U19 and U21 level between 2017 and 2021 while also experiencing senior men's football at a loan spell with Barry Town.

The 21-year-old midfielder also made four league appearances for the Bluebirds before making the move to County where his dad Jason plied his trade between 2004 and 2008, making over 100 appearances for the club.

On securing the signing of Sam Bowen, Newport manager James Rowberry said: "I'm delighted to welcome Sam to Newport, I worked with him for 10 years during our time at Cardiff which makes me fully aware of his capabilities and what he can bring to the football club.

"His style of play suits us well and I have no doubt that he can be a continuation of our processes as we move forward, going into the forthcoming season.

"I'm excited for the club, Sam and Sam's family on getting this deal over the line and I can't wait to start work on the training pitch in preparation for next season."

Welcome to Newport, Sam!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...newport-county

Cardiff City FC can confirm that Sam Bowen will join Newport County on a permanent deal from Friday, June 10th, 2022.

The Academy graduate made five First Team appearances during his time at Cardiff City Stadium.

We’d like to wish Sam all the very best for the future.

Re: Sam Bowen to Newport - now official

Good luck to him.

Hope he does well

I've heard good things about him, so it's been a bit of a surprise that he's hasn't broken through into the team like some of the others. But that's football. I hope he does well at Newport, and that we attached a sell-on clause, just in case.

Newport fans are very unhappy with Sam Bowen and James Waite after their defeat against Salford last night.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Newport fans are very unhappy with Sam Bowen and James Waite after their defeat against Salford last night.
    I watched a bit of it and he didn't have the best of games and was taken off after around 50 mins.
    Still early doors and he young.
    I'm sure that they will soon change their tune after a few good performances.

A Newport-supporting mate of mine put on Twitter earlier that he's been "really poor" for them so far- a real shame- hopefully he can buck his ideas up coz there's definitely a decent player in there.

Rowberry will be gone soon they have no style of play whatsoever and on the back of last season capitulation if this poor form continues he will be gone.

Don’t see the point of bringing Sam in if you’re not going to play a passing / possession game. He talked about him being their quarterback when he signed him but he’s cobbled a side together where very few players are comfortable on the ball and they can’t string 5 passes together. The centre half’s just smash it forward and don’t play through the midfield. I was shocked by how little football they try and play seeing as Rowberry is seen as this bright young coach and was linked to QPR in the summer.

Spoke to my old man earlier who went down to watch him last night and he said he didn’t have a clue what the formation was, or what the game plan was and it seems the players didn’t either. How they got out of it 3-2 he doesn’t know could easily been 5 or 6 Salford were that much better.

Sion Spence scored for Gloucester the other day though, albeit at National league North level

Kieron Evans also not had great write up for Torquay

We can’t assume all players will come good quickly enough for us. Look at Kieffer Moore he was 28 before looking any good

How many young players have we let go through choice that have gone onto bigger and better things. Some get big moves but slip down the leagues having hardly played. Ajayi springs to mind as someone maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    How many young players have we let go through choice that have gone onto bigger and better things. Some get big moves but slip down the leagues having hardly played. Ajayi springs to mind as someone maybe.
    Jarrod Bowen, kinda

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    More players don’t make it than do.

We often think because their young their growth is going to be dramatic but not often the case.

In the case of Sam Bowen I do think he’ll move further up the leagues but it can often be luck of the manager, injury, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    More players don’t make it than do.

We often think because their young their growth is going to be dramatic but not often the case.

In the case of Sam Bowen I do think he’ll move further up the leagues but it can often be luck of the manager, injury, etc.
    Regan Poole always springs to mind, I remember people ranting we let him go and he ended up at Man United. I always say yes but they need to prove they are good enough still. Same with Spence.