+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Re: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Has been for a while….more people watch club football than rugby? Particularly if we are in the sunshine league.

Some interesting findings in that report.

http://contentfaw.aws-skybrid.co.uk/...n_23.05.22.pdf

Darts is now Wales 2nd sport

to be fair, the FAW have been doing some really good things with grass roots and attracting fans to the national team.
    at the same time the WRU have been making some really bad decisions

Hope this is the start of a permanent shift away from rugby to football.
    I will be happier when more PE teachers are encouraging football in their schools, rather than rugby. There is still a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I will be happier when more PE teachers are encouraging football in their schools, rather than rugby. There is still a long way to go.
    why would that make you happier?
    never been much of a rugby fan but nothing wrong with kids learning it in school as well as football

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    never been much of a rugby fan but nothing wrong with kids learning it in school as well as football
    We have been treated as the poor relations of rugby for 70 years

Now it's payback time

Being pressganged into playing it though, I’m going back over fifty years to my schooldays, the school rugby teams playing in new, pristine kit every season while we scrabbled about in f*cking rags. Those Cyncoed Rd Cardiff College of Education thick as shite PE teachers just wouldn’t acknowledge ‘soccer’

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being pressganged into playing it though, I’m going back over fifty years to my schooldays, the school rugby teams playing in new, pristine kit every season while we scrabbled about in f*cking rags. Those Cyncoed Rd Cardiff College of Education thick as shite PE teachers just wouldn’t acknowledge ‘soccer’
    let it go man, it's been 50 years

I think that i went to the same school as you. I could never understand why the Catholic Schools were so Pro Rugby, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    When was the last time you were in a school PE class Prince Andrew? It’s not the 70’s anymore. Football is definitely the more popular sport in schools these days.

Forced to play rugby and not football like my high school in the 80’s…..

let it go man, it's been 50 years
    When you’ve got an out and out bully on the teaching staff you never, ever forget. The teacher who tried forcing rugby on pupils would be doing time nowadays for some of his many evil antics. He recently died and my missus showed me a thread on Facebook regarding his passing, I hope his family read it and learned (if they didn’t already know) that they were sharing a home with a bullying monster. I did see him once after leaving school, of all places in the toilets in the old Castle Bar pub opposite the Castle. Of course he recognised me and come out with ‘Shows we’re all human’, I answered back, without fear now, ‘Sometimes I wondered about you’. F*ck you FC, you made many a school kids life a misery. 50 years is nowhere near long enough to let it go, they were supposed to be the best years of your life. How we loved having a very successful football side to rub his ugly nose in it at assembly every winter Monday morning when the weekend’s sports results were read out

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that i went to the same school as you. I could never understand why the Catholic Schools were so Pro Rugby, for obvious reasons.

That first day up Lady Mary still rankles with me. On the back yard by the hall being told what sport you were going to be playing. The bully was holding court, he starts with ‘Who played for Cardiff boys rugby last season?’, my hand goes up in all innocence, I’m still excited that after my years of rugby at St Albans I was actually going to play the sport of my choice (which we’d been told would happen).

Anyway, he says go over there lads, next words ‘Who played for their school rugby side last season?’, more hands go up, ‘Go over there with the Cardiff boys players’. He turns to the boys left with a ‘You lot can do soccer and cross country’ and marches over to us rugby ‘erberts smiling and ready to map out our comprehensive school next few years of sport. The soccer and cross country lads were just left staring at the ground until a few of us moved out of the rugby ‘scrum’ and joined them.

I’d heard of this teacher’s temper tantrums and boy did he show one then, you’d have thoughtwe were nipping up Calvary to make sure Our Lord was dead. I’m still proud of how we stood our ground, he wasn’t used to being challenged, obviously. His compromise was he’d give us a letter each to take home regarding our ‘mistake’. Fair play to a man our parents gave us a letter to take back to him confirming that they wanted their sons to play whatever sport they wished....football.

The twat marked our cards that first day, the times he caned me for things like walking down the stairs on the right hand side instead of the left, bringing an iconic Wembley plastic football to school to play with, moving a desk an inch out of place in his classroom so it didn’t match the floor tile pattern. He hated football and certainly turned a few of us against his beloved oval ball.

80s definitely forced on you in school. Very little football.

Saying that a downturn in fortune on the pitch and the crowds at the football will soon drop.

Egg is a day out on the p!ss they will always pull the crowds - for the 6 Nations anyway.

That first day up Lady Mary still rankles with me. On the back yard by the hall being told what sport you were going to be playing. The bully was holding court, he starts with ‘Who played for Cardiff boys rugby last season?’, my hand goes up in all innocence, I’m still excited that after my years of rugby at St Albans I was actually going to play the sport of my choice (which we’d been told would happen).

Anyway, he says go over there lads, next words ‘Who played for their school rugby side last season?’, more hands go up, ‘Go over there with the Cardiff boys players’. He turns to the boys left with a ‘You lot can do soccer and cross country’ and marches over to us rugby ‘erberts smiling and ready to map out our comprehensive school next few years of sport. The soccer and cross country lads were just left staring at the ground until a few of us moved out of the rugby ‘scrum’ and joined them.

I’d heard of this teacher’s temper tantrums and boy did he show one then, you’d have thoughtwe were nipping up Calvary to make sure Our Lord was dead. I’m still proud of how we stood our ground, he wasn’t used to being challenged, obviously. His compromise was he’d give us a letter each to take home regarding our ‘mistake’. Fair play to a man our parents gave us a letter to take back to him confirming that they wanted their sons to play whatever sport they wished....football.

The twat marked our cards that first day, the times he caned me for things like walking down the stairs on the right hand side instead of the left, bringing an iconic Wembley plastic football to school to play with, moving a desk an inch out of place in his classroom so it didn’t match the floor tile pattern. He hated football and certainly turned a few of us against his beloved oval ball.
    A teacher with the initials FC by any chance?

Yeah he mentioned FC a few posts back, sounds like a real arsehole

Was it mixed when you were there? It was two separate schools in my time, boys school & girls school. We entered by the same main gate though. One day my missus walked down the drive minus her beret, he collared her and bollocked her, he went to see another charmer, the head of the girls school, Sister Mary Christopher to make her aware of his impending punishment, she readily agreed.

The next morning he made her stand on the stage during boys assembly, obviously, with her beret on. What a strange occurrence that was for us having our normal ‘Hail Marys’, ‘Our Fathers’ & ‘Glory Bes’ with a young girl, she may have been about thirteen I s’pose, standing stock still next the him while he went through his daily repertoire. Our houses were back to back so I knew her, our mothers were old school friends, but most of the boys were wondering what the f*ck was going on and who she was. How demeaning and, yes, she couldn’t stand him either and didn’t shed a tear over his recent ‘stop engines’.

Was it mixed when you were there? It was two separate schools in my time, boys school & girls school. We entered by the same main gate though. One day my missus walked down the drive minus her beret, he collared her and bollocked her, he went to see another charmer, the head of the girls school, Sister Mary Christopher to make her aware of his impending punishment, she readily agreed.

The next morning he made her stand on the stage during boys assembly, obviously, with her beret on. What a strange occurrence that was for us having our normal ‘Hail Marys’, ‘Our Fathers’ & ‘Glory Bes’ with a young girl, she may have been about thirteen I s’pose, standing stock still next the him while he went through his daily repertoire. Our houses were back to back so I knew her, our mothers were old school friends, but most of the boys were wondering what the f*ck was going on and who she was. How demeaning and, yes, she couldn’t stand him either and didn’t shed a tear over his recent ‘stop engines’.
    Brutal man. Believe it or not, he's still with us. It was mixed when I was there. Here's one. Because I am left handed, sometimes I would get ink on my hand because it would run across the writing. He pulled me up in front of the whole school in assembly and absolutely murdered me, stood on a stage while he told the Rest of the school that I obviously don't wash and my family can't afford soap. I was 12.

Brutal man. Believe it or not, he's still with us. It was mixed when I was there. Here's one. Because I am left handed, sometimes I would get ink on my hand because it would run across the writing. He pulled me up in front of the whole school in assembly and absolutely murdered me, stood on a stage while he told the Rest of the school that I obviously don't wash and my family can't afford soap. I was 12.
    He died earlier this year, no tears shed in my house.

Welsh people are fickle when it comes to sport. Rugby is going through a lean period so they become football watchers. All sports in Wales should be embraced and supported

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    When was the last time you were in a school PE class Prince Andrew? It’s not the 70’s anymore. Football is definitely the more popular sport in schools these days.
    Prince Andrew? Dont associate me with that nonce.
    I know enough about teaching down here in W Wales that there is still a rugby bias, with most of the PE teachers ex rugger players.
    Things may be changing, but very slowly, if at all down here.
    A few years ago the headteachers of a local comp gave out prizes for a one off football tournament. He announced, when giving out prizes, that ' this was the first and last time football would be played at his school.
    That is typical of the bias down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Welsh people are fickle when it comes to sport. Rugby is going through a lean period so they become football watchers. All sports in Wales should be embraced and supported
    I think you will find that a fair percentage of football fans in Wales, particularly of the Welsh clubs , absolutely detest rugby

Whether that's right or wrong is not really the issue .....but one thing they are not is fickle , they really can't stand Rugby

I don't hate rugby but I think the biased TV, newspaper and online coverage is a load of nonsense

I think for a small country Wales has produced some amazing sporting talent but that goes for football as well as rugby and despite the rugby nazis in many cases

My school sports teachers were rugby obsessed tossers and we got taught football by the geography and maths teachers

The rugby excuses for PE teachers simply didn't give a toss

And I bet despite some changes there are still plenty of these types about today

And these same types will say they are proud to be true Welsh rugby fans , involved in the game ......all hyped up for the England Wales Rugby game ......then the following Saturday cheer on Man United

But if of course you say you don't really follow the rugby they say you are probably English!

Brain dead jelly heads

In my school you would have to write 100 lines if caught playing with a ball bigger than a tennis ball on school grounds. Didn't resent the rugby orientation during the week but you were under so much pressure at the weekends if you wanted to play football for your local youth club rather than represent the school at rugby.