+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Re: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Not at all , I liked football , rugby , cricket

Just grew to dislike being forced to play rugby every Wednesday, without fail

If you think it's good and normal that the rugby supporting p e teacher didn't ever take us to football and it was up to 2 geography teachers and a few parents to ferry us around ........and organise fixtures .....we had no official ones ......then its pointless trying to remove your rose tinted spectacles
    You must be talking about Mostyn? They along with Glyn Derw were saps. We battered both schools at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You can’t tell Sludge that . He wont believe you. It doesn’t fit with his agenda.
    I went to Glan Ely and played for Cardiff school boys football all the way through and had an under 15 trial for Wales.
    When I was in form 1 my maths teacher Mr K D Davies told my mum and dad I could get a better maths result if I played rugby for the school my dad told him to piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I went to Glan Ely and played for Cardiff school boys football all the way through and had an under 15 trial for Wales.
    When I was in form 1 my maths teacher Mr K D Davies told my mum and dad I could get a better maths result if I played rugby for the school my dad told him to piss off.
    KD was a rugby freak, but he was outnumbered.
    Mr Lizakowski liked his football.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember Mr Davis, tall with a beard. Never liked him. He was a rugby nut. Football still dominated, we even had a school five aside tournament sponsored by barclays. Our class came second.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I remember Mr Davis, tall with a beard. Never liked him. He was a rugby nut. Football still dominated, we even had a school five aside tournament sponsored by barclays. Our class came second.
    I remember 1 maths lesson first lesson on a Monday morning K D Davies had been to Edinburgh for the rugby he just said get on with some work quietly and sat there with his head in his hands completely pissed.
    Lizacowski was a biology teacher he never told my mum and dad if I played football I'd get a better mark in biology.
    In form 4 no teachers would take the football team due to no overtime/after school activities. So we got a remedial teacher to drive the school mini bus and my dad picked the side and did the tactics.
    My sisters brother in law was a teacher in a Pontypridd school and at a family party in the early 80s he told my dad that football should be banned in all Welsh schools ,that's what we were up against back then.

Giorgio Chinaglia was a pupil at my school. Played for Inter Milan, Lazio and was capped 14 times by Italy. Not 1 picture of him in the corridors of my school. Cyril Thompson who played for Cardiff Schools u14's rugby-At least 1 photo and various team photos. Not to blow my own trumpet, but it's on Topic. Cardiff Schools Football-All ages. Wales Schools u16s- 5 caps. Wales Youth Football u16's , with every County of Wales represented. Not 1 single photo of me or predentation on the school stage, like the rugger lads had when they recieved their special Cardiff schools rugby tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Giorgio Chinaglia was a pupil at my school. Played for Inter Milan, Lazio and was capped 14 times by Italy. Not 1 picture of him in the corridors of my school. Cyril Thompson who played for Cardiff Schools u14's rugby-At least 1 photo and various team photos. Not to blow my own trumpet, but it's on Topic. Cardiff Schools Football-All ages. Wales Schools u16s- 5 caps. Wales Youth Football u16's , with every County of Wales represented. Not 1 single photo of me or predentation on the school stage, like the rugger lads had when they recieved their special Cardiff schools rugby tie.
    Quite correct, the photo ‘hall of fame’ outside the boys hall in my time didn’t have a round ball in sight. No mention of Chinaglia, who was a few years before me, might have been some truth in the rumour, which grew more tasty over the years, that he gave our ‘favourite teacher’ a clip under provocation.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Quite correct, the photo ‘hall of fame’ outside the boys hall in my time didn’t have a round ball in sight. No mention of Chinaglia, who was a few years before me, might have been some truth in the rumour, which grew more tasty over the years, that he gave our ‘favourite teacher’ a clip under provocation.
    The new school at the bottom of Cyncoed road is the same. All three of my kids went there. There are even more photos now, it's a shrine, photos going back to the 60's. I was shit in school, didn't enjoy a minute of it, but it would have been nice for my kids to see something positive about their old man in the corridors of the school we both attended

The new school at the bottom of Cyncoed road is the same. All three of my kids went there. There are even more photos now, it's a shrine, photos going back to the 60's. I was shit in school, didn't enjoy a minute of it, but it would have been nice for my kids to see something positive about their old man in the corridors of the school we both attended
    Mine went to Corpus Christi as well. We had a fair old side when I was at Lady Mary and won a few trophies at intermediate & senior level but I’d be embarrassed if our team’s photos were up in lights, I’ve still got the photos. Dear God we looked like the ragged arse rovers, alongside the well turned out, pristine rugby team’s photos we’d look like something out of the workhouse I think we were kitted out from the lost property basket compared to the Harrods bought kit of the various XVs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Mine went to Corpus Christi as well. We had a fair old side when I was at Lady Mary and won a few trophies at intermediate & senior level but I’d be embarrassed if our team’s photos were up in lights, I’ve still got the photos. Dear God we looked like the ragged arse rovers, alongside the well turned out, pristine rugby team’s photos we’d look like something out of the workhouse I think we were kitted out from the lost property basket compared to the Harrods bought kit of the various XVs.
    The lost Property Basket Us Estate boys would stitch that one up. We would go and claim anything Adidas or Nike, branded etc. I had a pair of Puma size 9 football boots and i was only a size 6

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You are not disappointing me , its just I don't think you are telling the truth

If you are telling me football was on an equal footing with rugby then I simply don't believe you

Individual players would have broken through for sure but football until recently always took second stage to rugby

I spent two years in a secondary school about 2 miles from your gaffe and it was shocking . The teachers there were tossers . 13 year old kids can't stand up to bullies with a whistle and a rugby ball .
    Kids in Cardiff were always more into playing football than rugby, it was just the teachers and the council no doubt pushing the egg.
    Certain schools were just more rugby like St illtyds, glantaff, Radyr…cantononian, fitzalan, llanishen more football?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Kids in Cardiff were always more into playing football than rugby, it was just the teachers and the council no doubt pushing the egg.
    Certain schools were just more rugby like St illtyds, glantaff, Radyr…cantononian, fitzalan, llanishen more football?
    It's much better now, it has to be. It was a sort of establishment thing, which seemed more prevalent in years gone by. If i was to make an observation, it seemed that the schools is the poorer areas of the City were less Rugby orientated. Read into that what you will

I went to the same school, good days.