Re: Best and worst age decades?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lord Longford gives me the horn !

It's the way he does his hair
    He's so ****ing fancyable

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    He's so ****ing fancyable
    I wish I was that myra Hindley, he's coming round on daily visits to see her !

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m enjoying my 60s, take plenty of holidays, weekends away etc, that’s my tip. You’re really not on this planet very long. Keep a little bit back for a rainy day but don’t be financially over cautious, no good having a few bob but you’re too infirm to enjoy it and that massive nest egg will do you no good when you move permanently to Thornhill.
    Looking back on this post, I think the key is going to be retiring as early as possible in your 60's or before if you can, you never know how long you've got, but the problem is there is always a bit more to be earned!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I wish I was that myra Hindley, he's coming round on daily visits to see her !
    Blimey Sludge....you ARE desperate.....

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Looking back on this post, I think the key is going to be retiring as early as possible in your 60's or before if you can, you never know how long you've got, but the problem is there is always a bit more to be earned!
    I 'sort of' retired when I was 58 due to redundancy in 2003..and couldn't get another job in IT due to age. This was followed by a failed property development on the Heritage coast which left me in no end of debt....which I eventually cleared.

In January 2011 my wife of 40 years died suddenly in her sleep...never been ill...went to bed as normal and woke up to find....the absolute worst moment in my life. Official retirement date July 2012.

Treat every day as if it was your last....with a new family and young sons I certainly do....thankfully I seem healthy enough...but then so did my late wife...I treasure every day I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I 'sort of' retired when I was 58 due to redundancy in 2003..and couldn't get another job in IT due to age. This was followed by a failed property development on the Heritage coast which left me in no end of debt....which I eventually cleared.

In January 2011 my wife of 40 years died suddenly in her sleep...never been ill...went to bed as normal and woke up to find....the absolute worst moment in my life. Official retirement date July 2012.

Treat every day as if it was your last....with a new family and young sons I certainly do....thankfully I seem healthy enough...but then so did my late wife...I treasure every day I wake up.
    Yeah people who don’t enjoy themselves and just plod through life until they can retire at 65/70, what can you do then? Enjoy it all now if you can…just reading 79blues story is enough to make you realise it’s all about the now, not the future…..

For me the best decade is the thirties. You are old enough to have a bit of nouse, bit of life experience, and you have money. Between the age of 29-40 I travelled the world, bought my first house, got married, had kids etc, a couple of not so nice things occurred to, but it was by far the most eventful decade of my life.

I’m enjoying my 60s, take plenty of holidays, weekends away etc, that’s my tip. You’re really not on this planet very long. Keep a little bit back for a rainy day but don’t be financially over cautious, no good having a few bob but you’re too infirm to enjoy it and that massive nest egg will do you no good when you move permanently to Thornhill.
    Northern Cemetary these days.

Thornhill is full for burials Unless you have a plot already booked

I have my plot already booked and paid for in the Northern

That is a fair chunk of the nest egg, because the Council charge nearly a grand just to open it when my time inevitably comes (and the same again to buy the thing!).

Just to cheer you all up.

I hated my 20s. Chose to leave school without A-levels to be a carer for my mother, who had lots of health issues. In hindsight, worst thing I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Just turned 50 and I cannot stop telling myself I'm fecking 50 !!!!!!!!!!!
    Wait till your 60

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke blue View Post
    Wait till your 60
    Wait till you are 70.

Oh hang on......I've got 2 months to go yet!

Best decade should be your 20s but having the finances and knowledge of your 60s/70 year old self

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke blue View Post
    Wait till your 60
    In fairness, he's already closer to Seventy than Thirty, he's not going to like the thought of being closer to Eighty than Forty

International

Best decade should be your 20s but having the finances and knowledge of your 60s/70 year old self
    If only that would be magic !

This is me right now, was 60 last year, coming up to 61 soon. Still fit and healthy but never quite sure how long to go on for. I have savings and pensions but it’s a scary thought to give up a regular monthly income but don’t want to leave it too late either as I want to travel a bit while I can - but that also means spending more money than while I’m working! Not all of my kids are on the property ladder yet so also feel I need to help support them until they are.

My boss, who is 2 years younger than me can’t even get his head round while I would give up work before the age of 67 or 68 but I certainly don’t want to go on that long!

All decades have been good to me and wouldn't swap my life for anyone's - feel extremely blessed - no regrets just lessons learnt

However looking at the replies on here and people disclosing their age this board will naturally die out in the next couple of years 😂😂

The decades of your life are all different, and they all have pros and cons to them. Your twenties are when you have fun. You might be working, but you have the cash to be out and about, having fun.
    I remember my twenties as being the best time of my life. Working, sure, but with good mates, house sharing, out every weekend, playing in local bands, watching the football, and some lovely girlfriends. Great times.

20's were the best, 50's is a bit of a difficult one, kids leaving and needing financial help and a lot of guidence, although I like that aspect, but failing parents is a tough period to go through!

Does it get better, and what are/were the best/worst for you?
    20's great but tough, child, mortgage, 12-15% interest rates, devastating illness (Guillain Barre Syndrome).
    30's were a bit better, managed to buy a sofa so didn't have to sit on the floor.
    40's getting better, table and chairs no eating off the lap.
    50's spent 50th birthday in hospital not knowing if I'd ever leave, but after this quite comfortable and enjoyable.
    60's only a couple of years in but OK so far and at last, have a bit of spare dough to start fixing the gaff.

20's to 60's have had amazing backing from my best friend to make the ups and downs all worthwhile.

Who hung out at the Lexington and tHe Casa Gil?

International

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who hung out at the Lexington and tHe Casa Gil?
    Had some lunchtimes in the Casa Gil I think although that time was a bit of a blur!

Top end of Queen street?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    This is me right now, was 60 last year, coming up to 61 soon. Still fit and healthy but never quite sure how long to go on for. I have savings and pensions but it’s a scary thought to give up a regular monthly income but don’t want to leave it too late either as I want to travel a bit while I can - but that also means spending more money than while I’m working! Not all of my kids are on the property ladder yet so also feel I need to help support them until they are.

My boss, who is 2 years younger than me can’t even get his head round while I would give up work before the age of 67 or 68 but I certainly don’t want to go on that long!
    Yes it's going to be hard to stop accumulating and switch to decumulation, I think retirement age depends on the type of job, if it's physical most people are knackered by sixty, if it's stressful some are having mental stress issues.

I'll go between 60 and 62 I think, fingers crossed on health it should be a good decade!