+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Windfall Tax

Windfall Tax

So here it is..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-61591398

There will be a temporary windfall tax on the profits of oil and gas companies at a rate of 25%

1 / Every household in the UK is to get an energy bill discount of £400

2/Those on the lowest incomes - around eight million people supported through welfare system - will receive one-off cost of living payment of £650 in two lump sums (first in July, I read..)

3/ Pensioners who receive winter fuel payment will receive a one-off payment of £300

4/ Six million people who receive disability allowance will get a payment of £150

There will be a temporary windfall tax on the profits of oil and gas companies at a rate of 25%

Re: Windfall Tax

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So here it is..

2/Those on the lowest incomes - around eight million people supported through welfare system - will receive one-off cost of living payment of £650 in two lump sums (first in July, I read..)

3/ Pensioners who receive winter fuel payment will receive a one-off payment of £300

4/ Six million people who receive disability allowance will get a payment of £150

Do you know if all these payments are automatic or is there an element of a claims process?

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Do you know if all these payments are automatic or is there an element of a claims process?
    I would imagine it's automatic. Any household on Universal Credit or other means tested benefits would get the £650 I guess. Likewise any pensioner already receiving said benefit would get it automatically.

International

So here it is..

Thats good and should help some of the people in the greatest need.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Thats good and should help some of the people in the greatest need.
    I think without it we really would have seen a devastating winter with people dying in their homes for fear of putting heating on.

As you said, this should help, perhaps alongside some other measures to use energy slightly less and to keep people warm.

Boris getting caught has it's positives then. Shame it took them this long to get here but it is something that will help.

First Team

So here it is..

I'm in two minds on this one. Clearly lower income folks need help.

But helicopter money worries me because it has a direct link to inflation. At least it did here with the stimulus checks (cheques).

I think regulating suppliers to lower prices might have been worthy of consideration.

Let's hope that now everyone will get an energy refund this year as its no longer to be re paid, those who can afford it and dont realky need show a real social gesture and give the value to a charity or relative / friend/ neighbour . Mine is already promised to my children .

So here it is..

Anyone know if this includes the £200 loan or is something in addition to it.

This is an excellent help site .

A lot of folk don't always know what's out there as support and funded by government.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Anyone know if this includes the £200 loan or is something in addition to it.
    Think it's doubled and no longer a loan . Lot to digest.

Rishi Sunak could announce a cut of £400 on energy bills for every home under a new cost of living support plan, according to reports. The Chancellor is set to announce a new package of support today (Thursday) in the Commons, which is likely to include a discount on energy bills funded by windfall tax on oil and gas giants.

Sunak will scrap the previously announced £200 loan on energy bills and replace it with a grant that will not have to be paid back, The Times reported. This discount could possibly increase to as much as £400.

Hope this helps

I would imagine it's automatic. Any household on Universal Credit or other means tested benefits would get the £650 I guess. Likewise any pensioner already receiving said benefit would get it automatically.
    Cheers wales

Much needed and probably a pretty decent method of targeting support, although I'd question not means testing the 300 quid to pensioners as I think winter fuel allowance can be claimed by anybody over a certain age (might be wrong though)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think it's doubled and no longer a loan . Lot to digest.

Rishi Sunak could announce a cut of £400 on energy bills for every home under a new cost of living support plan, according to reports. The Chancellor is set to announce a new package of support today (Thursday) in the Commons, which is likely to include a discount on energy bills funded by windfall tax on oil and gas giants.

Sunak will scrap the previously announced £200 loan on energy bills and replace it with a grant that will not have to be paid back, The Times reported. This discount could possibly increase to as much as £400.

Hope this helps
    As a single person household I do pretty well out of that. Maybe a bit too well, although next winter was going to be looking a bit dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    As a single person household I do pretty well out of that. Maybe a bit too well, although next winter was going to be looking a bit dicey.
    And that's a very key question, it's such uncertain times some out of our control , the other fear 15 billion into the country could fuel inflation. Sometimes you can't win.

What's important that folk do fund thier bills with this and don't suffer from fuel poverty .

To be fair this is very big giveaway as its now a grant with no loan attached.

Hope you stay warm , do you know you can get single peoples discount on council tax and water bills.

Have a look at this https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

I like the fact they have automated it and removed form filling .

My only worry there is reports councils not delivering the rebates based on house bands very quickly.

Let's hope that folks spend the money wisely throughout the winter and not blow it all and end up struggling again.

So here it is..

Energy Profit Levy please James (!!)

So what happens next year when price are still sky rocketing?

Made up on a back of a fag packet.
    Me 70 year old pensionerI'll get £150 already received. £400 grant.£500 winter heating allowance.
    Hardworking family next door. Couple of kids. Mortgage etc. They will get the £400 grant plus already received £150.

'Every household in the UK is to get an energy bill discount of £400' There are 2.5 million millionaires in the UK they'll be glad of it.

Good move, 25 % headline figure instead of the 10% being suggested. The investment relief will bring the actual extra tax paid down from that 25%, hopefully they will have some proper checks and balances to make sure any 'investments is genuine.

Interesting to see that the share prices of Shell and BP didn't change today, guessing the extra tax had already been factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Energy Profit Levy please James (!!)
    It's a levy, which is loaded and different and clever than pure windfall as every one pound taxed up to 91p can be reclaimed back by energy firms invest back in green solutions.

400 quid each household some get 650

Clever better than Labour more direct plan ..

It's probably not enough though as it will not stop here , lower income earners have been looked after on this one .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's a levy, which is loaded and different and clever than pure windfall as every one pound taxed up to 91p can be reclaimed back by energy firms invest back in green solutions.

400 quid each household some get 650

Clever better than Labour more direct plan ..

It's probably not enough though as it will not stop here , lower income earners have been looked after on this one .
    And yet another dig at Labour despite the Government, rightly, adopting Labour party policy - it's a windfall tax, no matter how you and the Government try to present it as something different.

hope its not the council sorting them , we still havent had the first one yet £150