+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Playing rugby for 2 countries

Playing rugby for 2 countries

Putting Israel Folau's homophobia to one side, he has 73 caps for Australia but is now allowed to play for Tonga! Rugby really is a joke. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61603239

Re: Playing rugby for 2 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Putting Israel Folau's homophobia to one side, he has 73 caps for Australia but is now allowed to play for Tonga! Rugby really is a joke. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61603239

The change in World Rugby rules meant that from January 2022 a player could represent a different country after a stand-down period of three years and move to a nation of their, their parents' or grandparents' birth.

3 years seems a long enough time scale, if you are not getting game time ( or unwanted in Israels case ) then why not, along as both governing authorities agree of course

happens in netball aswell, in fact only a few years ago, someone switched from Australia ( best in the world and world champs ) to England ( mainly because she was back playing in England after a spell in Australia )

Cricketers and footballers do it, so why not rugby players?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cricketers and footballers do it, so why not rugby players?
    What are the rules in football? I thought once a young player got a cap in a competitive match that was the country they played for.

What are the rules in football? I thought once a young player got a cap in a competitive match that was the country they played for.
    I think it's 3 caps or something now, which I think is good.

Thething you want to avoid is the biggest nations taking all the talent from the smallest nations.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The change in World Rugby rules meant that from January 2022 a player could represent a different country after a stand-down period of three years and move to a nation of their, their parents' or grandparents' birth.

3 years seems a long enough time scale, if you are not getting game time ( or unwanted in Israels case ) then why not, along as both governing authorities agree of course

happens in netball aswell, in fact only a few years ago, someone switched from Australia ( best in the world and world champs ) to England ( mainly because she was back playing in England after a spell in Australia )
    I just don't like the idea. I know we have plenty of eg English born players playing for Wales in football, but for me, you choose once if you're qualified for more than one country then that's it. Being able to play for one country for a while (a long while in his case), then play for another country a few years later feels more like club football than international sport to me.

Happens in athletics too I believe, thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think it's 3 caps or something now, which I think is good.

Thething you want to avoid is the biggest nations taking all the talent from the smallest nations.
    3s not quite so bad

I just don't like the idea. I know we have plenty of eg English born players playing for Wales in football, but for me, you choose once if you're qualified for more than one country then that's it. Being able to play for one country for a while (a long while in his case), then play for another country a few years later feels more like club football than international sport to me.

Happens in athletics too I believe, thinking about it.
    I think its a great idea in rugby. If the game wants to grow it needs as many international teams being competitive.

The economics of the Pacific Islands mean most of their players have to represent other nations as they can then earn the money to support their families. Once that's out of the way let them represent Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc. There was a crazy stat on a rugby podcast I was listening to about the percentage of men from the islands that go on to be professional rugby players and it was insanely high.Them earning £700 a month over here equates to a good salary at home so it's too good to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I think its a great idea in rugby. If the game wants to grow it needs as many international teams being competitive.

The economics of the Pacific Islands mean most of their players have to represent other nations as they can then earn the money to support their families. Once that's out of the way let them represent Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc. There was a crazy stat on a rugby podcast I was listening to about the percentage of men from the islands that go on to be professional rugby players and it was insanely high.Them earning £700 a month over here equates to a good salary at home so it's too good to turn down.
    That's a fair point, although Folau was born in and grew up in Australia.

That's a fair point, although Folau was born in and grew up in Australia.
    Its interesting with the pacific islanders especially - almost as many tongans live in new zealand as live on tonga

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Brian Smith scored a try for and against Ireland. I think the Bachop brothers both played in an international game (not that unusual) but for different countries.

Joke of a rule that dilutes the meaning of international rugby

To be honest it's difficult to put that idiots homophobia to one side

He has his religious beliefs, we may not agree with them , but they are his beliefs ?

I'm sure a lot of middle Eastern and many other countries think and act the same way , including folk like the Palestinians who we symphtise with in thier struggles. ?

Is he homophobic or deeply religious.

Many Catholics think the same.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He has his religious beliefs, we may not agree with them , but they are his beliefs ?

I'm sure a lot of middle Eastern and many other countries think and act the same way , including folk like the Palestinians who we symphtise with in thier struggles. ?

The way main stream television celebrate sodomy is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    The way main stream television celebrate sodomy is horrible
    You daft clown

Hes an ignorant idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You daft clown
    If You celebrate sodomy you're a dirty fecker or just ridiculously impressionable

If You celebrate sodomy you're a dirty fecker or just ridiculously impressionable
    What a silly arse you are

What a silly arse you are
    You can't stop defending sodomy can you?

Do we?

You can't stop defending sodomy can you?
    It's a load of bullshit from the bible

It's a load of bullshit from the bible
    Dear ***** in charge of religion