Says dave , in the city with 10 of his mates

From Peterborough

I had admiration for Liverpool in the Seventies

But it's just a comedy show now

Peterborough Reds ff sake

Re: The Reds Have Taken Over Paris

..****ing nobody

All the big clubs have fans from outside their catchment area, with many coming from all around of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    All the big clubs have fans from outside their catchment area, with many coming from all around of the world.
    it happens when they are a global brand, I understand people think " support your local team " but that might not work for you for whatever reason, they may be crap and they dont want to support a crap team, these people who travel from a different city / town to support a team are still supporters, some might say they spend more money / longer travel times so are dedicated supporters

If they are getting out and supporting a team, its all good in my eyes

I have never understood why some people attach themselves to these big clubs and I guess I never will. If I was a psychologist, which I'm not, I would say they have an overwhelming desire to associate themselves with success, regardless of how tenuous or non-existent the link is between themselves and the club. Probably makes them feel good about themselves when these teams win a trophy. To them, following their local team is not an option.

Plastics don't generally annoy me unless you get into a conversation with them and they refer to these clubs as "us" or "we". I hate that with a passion. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I have never understood why some people attach themselves to these big clubs and I guess I never will. If I was a psychologist, which I'm not, I would say they have an overwhelming desire to associate themselves with success, regardless of how tenuous or non-existent the link is between themselves and the club. Probably makes them feel good about themselves when these teams win a trophy. To them, following their local team is not an option.

Plastics don't generally annoy me unless you get into a conversation with them and they refer to these clubs as "us" or "we". I hate that with a passion. Rant over.
    but who is to say what's the right or wrong way to choose a club

sounds like you and me both decided on Cardiff city as they are ( or were In my case ) our local team

Now Johnny the Man Utd supporter who goes to watch them a few games a year picked Man Utd as they were a decent team and were winning things at the time

who decides if we are right and Johnny is wrong or both are valid reasons and no-one is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

sounds like you and me both decided on Cardiff city as they are ( or were In my case ) our local team

Now Johnny the Man Utd supporter who goes to watch them a few games a year picked Man Utd as they were a decent team and were winning things at the time

who decides if we are right and Johnny is wrong or both are valid reasons and no-one is wrong
    Don't get me wrong, I believe that every fan is entitled to support whichever team they choose.

But from my perspective I struggle to understand why they do it. I can understand some football-mad kid in Japan becoming a Man Utd fan because the only time he sees football is on the box. But to attach yourself to a club in this country 100's of miles from your home town just because they've got a history of success is to me unfathomable. Each to their own I suppose.

I worked with a Scouser years ago, he hated the "tourists " as he called them with a passion, especially when he couldn't get a ticket for his son for home games.
    Still can't get my head around the concept of following a club you have no links to, it must be a support mechanism for them to feel good about themselves 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

Don't get me wrong, I believe that every fan is entitled to support whichever team they choose.

But from my perspective I struggle to understand why they do it. I can understand some football-mad kid in Japan becoming a Man Utd fan because the only time he sees football is on the box. But to attach yourself to a club in this country 100's of miles from your home town just because they've got a history of success is to me unfathomable. Each to their own I suppose.
    Put it down to media exposure which truly started in the 70s. My old man had never been to Manchester in his life but Best, Law & Charlton had him hooked.

I was lucky that before I became infected I discovered City, at that time there were 3 league clubs closer to my home, my sons are City fans but today there are now 5 league clubs closer than City. What logic? Cheltenham, FGR, Cewnty, Gas or that other pile of shite across the bridge? They support City because I do and for the same reasons I do.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Everyone's being too nice in this thread.
    Johnny is wrong.

Each to their own I suppose, personally I find it utterly ludicrous watching plastics wandering round Paris desperately trying to pretend they’re Scousers.

I feel sorry for the ones who picked their club on success that ended up being short lived. I know a Blackburn fan from South Wales who must still regret getting into football in the mid nineties

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I feel sorry for the ones who picked their club on success that ended up being short lived. I know a Blackburn fan from South Wales who must still regret getting into football in the mid nineties
    Talking of Blackburn, a sales rep who worked for the same company as me lived in Morecambe but had a season ticket for Rovers as they were the nearest PL team to him. As soon as they got relegated he dropped them like a hot potato.

Talking of Blackburn, a sales rep who worked for the same company as me lived in Morecambe but had a season ticket for Rovers as they were the nearest PL team to him. As soon as they got relegated he dropped them like a hot potato.
    I would say that happened at Cardiff more than once, following our two seasons in the Premier.

I always put it like this : you're walking along a beach somewhere in, say Croatia. You're wearing a City top and some bloke is walking towards you also in a City top. Even the 2 most reserved people on the planet would stop and chat about City. Change the scenario to Liverpool, Citee, United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc., and they'd probably walk past each other - possibly unable to communicate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    but if they choose a team on success, then the criteria for Blackburn changes and they move onto someone else

First Team

Substantial numbers at the Gare du Nord yesterday and based on my very unscientific and limited exposure they mostly come from south of the Merseyside area , by some margin.
    Up to them who they support but I struggle to see why you would associate with a club which you probably have no emotional or physical link too.
    Then again how many Liverpool born people , who rattle on how wonderful the place is, leave at the first opportunity? Therefore , giving the thousands the benefit of doubt, they may be the offspring of the deserters.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I worked with a Scouser years ago, he hated the "tourists " as he called them with a passion, especially when he couldn't get a ticket for his son for home games.
    Still can't get my head around the concept of following a club you have no links to, it must be a support mechanism for them to feel good about themselves ��*♂️��*♂️��*♂️
    One old Liverpudlian described them as ‘excess baggage’

It’s easier to support a bigger team than your local one. It’s easier to chat about the bigger players than the smaller ones.

It depends what you’re surrounded with

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I always put it like this : you're walking along a beach somewhere in, say Croatia. You're wearing a City top and some bloke is walking towards you also in a City top. Even the 2 most reserved people on the planet would stop and chat about City. Change the scenario to Liverpool, Citee, United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc., and they'd probably walk past each other - possibly unable to communicate anyway.
    Nicely put. I also wouldn’t talk to anyone wearing those tops but when on holiday we met two couples who supported West Brom & Norwich and we’ve all been great friends since, as the topics & aspirations were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Hypothetical scenario that is though, as there are not enough XXXL City shirts to go round

You don't have to understand it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Says dave , in the city with 10 of his mates

From Peterborough

I had admiration for Liverpool in the Seventies

But it's just a comedy show now

Peterborough Reds ff sake
    You would be shocked by so many Cardiff Reds as well I know 5 and they cant name a single City player .

My bouncy neighbour with his scouse 70 Candy top just said we going to win tonight , I calmly replied

"" Hala Madrid! ...y nada más ""

He looked confused then turned on his heels muttering calm down ,calm down finally he took his small moustached , curly black hair being back indoors to drink his 18 cans of Carling , and crash though his party sized bag of monster munch and Mars Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You would be shocked by so many Cardiff Reds as well I know 5 and they cant name a single City player .

My bouncy neighbour with his scouse 70 Candy top just said we going to win tonight , I calmly replied

"" Hala Madrid! ...y nada más ""

He looked confused then turned on his heels muttering calm down ,calm down finally he took his small moustached , curly black hair being back indoors to drink his 18 cans of Carling , and crash though his party sized bag of monster munch and Mars Bars.
    Absolutely LOADS of South Wales pretend scousers and Mancs

Feck em all

Support who you want, but pipe down with this "we" or "us" nonsense. Weak as ****.