+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone Remember Shipping 6 At Port Vale ?

Anyone Remember Shipping 6 At Port Vale ?

My one and only trip to Burslem.

Re: Anyone Remember Shipping 6 At Port Vale ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    1988. I think it might also have been the only time I went there. 6-1. Pre-season optimism following promotion was quickly extinguished. I can remember George Wood looking very sheepish in the City goal.

He had no hair, but we didn't care. Yep 88.

We stuffed them 3-0 down here though and they were one of the best teams in the Third Division then - Kevin Bartlett’s last game for us I think.

Remember when we lost 2-1 i think, Nathan Blake with a goal and plenty of nonsense outside, before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Remember when we lost 2-1 i think, Nathan Blake with a goal and plenty of nonsense outside, before and after.
    I got a 2 all draw in my head in early 90s on the same weekend it was my birthday (September).

Lots of nonsense before the game. My mother wasn't happy with me going to the family birthday celebration with a thick lip which I got from a City fan elbowing me when throwing a swinger.

Yeah I think the 93 game was 2-2. Some PV fan got on the pitch to confront Nathan Blake. Paul Millar chased him back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I got a 2 all draw in my head in early 90s on the same weekend it was my birthday (September).

Lots of nonsense before the game. My mother wasn't happy with me going to the family birthday celebration with a thick lip which I got from a City fan elbowing me when throwing a swinger.
    Yes, I remember that match, think we were 2-0 up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Yeah I think the 93 game was 2-2. Some PV fan got on the pitch to confront Nathan Blake. Paul Millar chased him back off.
    Police on horseback in front of us on the terrace behind the goal after one of Blake’s goals

Isn't it odd that i remember the violence but not the score

Arghhh Burslem bad end of the Potteries nice spoons fighting pub there though .

Always liked the name Port Vale .

Tey only club in the top to have beaten the other 91 clubs of the inc Premier League in a competitive games .

The WORLDS greatest music icon Robbie Williams is a shareholder ( however Jimmy Page the wizard, thinks he is a awful man , and refuses to talk to his illustriousness neighbour )

I once saw Rhys Weston training with the Vale it was mesmerising watching him go in those tinny , tinny socks , he did the ayatollah for me when promoted though and then fell over .

Port Vale is not a place should be called Burslem Port Vale , Port Vale was an old meeting place in Stoke .

I studied Port Vale at Oxford

Goodnight and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Arghhh Burslem bad end of the Potteries nice spoons fighting pub there though .

Always liked the name Port Vale .

Tey only club in the top to have beaten the other 91 clubs of the inc Premier League in a competitive games .

The WORLDS greatest music icon Robbie Williams is a shareholder ( however Jimmy Page the wizard, thinks he is a awful man , and refuses to talk to his illustriousness neighbour )

I once saw Rhys Weston training with the Vale it was mesmerising watching him go in those tinny , tinny socks , he did the ayatollah for me when promoted though and then fell over .

Port Vale is not a place should be called Burslem Port Vale , Port Vale was an old meeting place in Stoke .

I studied Port Vale at Oxford

Goodnight and god bless
    Horrible shit hole and fans

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think it's fair to say City were pretty active on the fisticuffs and nonsense that season.

I've just had to Google the year and City had been to Fulham a couple of weeks prior. Blackpool and Liege were a few weeks later.

I think it's fair to say City were pretty active on the fisticuffs and nonsense that season.

I've just had to Google the year and City had been to Fulham a couple of weeks prior. Blackpool and Liege were a few weeks later.
    I think Leige was the game before Port Vale away , hence the police horse on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Horrible shit hole and fans
    Is it similar to Stoke then? Never been there or even know where it is…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is it similar to Stoke then? Never been there or even know where it is…..
    It's in the potteries built up area , it's seen by outsiders as a suburb of Stoke but it's it's own little town really

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think Leige was the game before Port Vale away , hence the police horse on the pitch
    Liege was a couple of weeks later.

The August and September of that year was a total fuuckdoodle for me watching City. Not saying I wasn’t responsible but you live and learn.

Fulham, Port Vale, Liege and then Blackpool.

Liege was a couple of weeks later.

The August and September of that year was a total fuuckdoodle for me watching City. Not saying I wasn’t responsible but you live and learn.

Fulham, Port Vale, Liege and then Blackpool.
    So why did the police at port vale have the cavalry on the pitch ? Was it due to Fulham away ......and I have seen far worse

So why did the police at port vale have the cavalry on the pitch ? Was it due to Fulham away ......and I have seen far worse
    I’m assuming there was a police presence at Port Vale due to the antics in Fulham and there were a number of locals who seemed quite happy to get their hands dirty on the day?

It was my birthday the day after the Vale game and as was the tradition at the time I was hopelessly under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I can’t remember a police horse at all. City were on a bit of a high after the Fulham win and as usual any smidgeon of success we all got really giddy with it all. We were even pulling crowds of over 6000 for matches in Ninian Park

Heady times.

I’m assuming there was a police presence at Port Vale due to the antics in Fulham and there were a number of locals who seemed quite happy to get their hands dirty on the day?

It was my birthday the day after the Vale game and as was the tradition at the time I was hopelessly under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I can’t remember a police horse at all. City were on a bit of a high after the Fulham win and as usual any smidgeon of success we all got really giddy with it all. We were even pulling crowds of over 6000 for matches in Ninian Park

Heady times.
    I went to the 6-1 game , but there was more bother at a later Port Vale game in 93

It's in the potteries built up area , it's seen by outsiders as a suburb of Stoke but it's it's own little town really
    Stoke on Trent is made up of several towns, which collectively form the City. Burslem being one of them, which is where Vale Park is. Most Vale fans tend to come from Burslem and Tunstall. I lived there for a few years a long time back, and it was a very insular, odd place back then. But a lot of heavy industry had shut down, the Potteries was in decline and it was fairly deprived.

Same for me, my only trip to Port Vale … missed Cardiff’s goal as in toilet, still got the programme