+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Real Madrid. Match thread

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Random question - how do Cardiff City fans from north of Thornhill and west of Culverhouse Cross feel knowing they'll never be "proper" fans of this club in the eyes of some?

From the Valleys? Actual plastic. Gotta be born within spitting distance of Sloper Road to be a *true* City fan.
    I’m 40 miles from Cardiff and in roughly 1200-1300 games, only once have I had a comment due to my accent.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Aye

It's a completely different situation and not comparable

Merthyr , Aberdare , Bridgend , Pontypridd are half an hour or so from Cardiff

People from there are supporting local football

Carmarthen is about half an hour from Swansea and likewise they do the same

But Cardiff and its catchment area are 3 hours from Liverpool and the vast majority of these Welsh Liverpool fans have no link to Liverpool or Manchester etc

They are plastics , simply hanging on the coat tails of success

Someone from Bargoed getting a coach to watch Cardiff City play Barnsley on a rainy Tuesday night is not a plastic glory seeker and it really shouldn't need explaining but there you go . Someone from Bargoed getting a South Wales valleys Reds etc coach to watch Liverpool whilst not bothering with Cardiff or Swansea ?

Well ......
    Well...

I’m surprised you’ve given it a response.

Interestingly, there’s supporters of Merthyr who feel the same way about City fans from the area.

I suppose it’s about personal perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Highlight for me was Micheal Owen arguing that Liverpool were the best team in Europe, Rio wasn't having it, Owen was arguing with a passion that he genuinely believed it

He then doubled down on his claim at being a clown by saying that the Cross for the goal was a Shot, Stevie G looked embarrassed by that and just lost for words

5 winners medals for Bale, he hast done too bad in Spain
    best team in europe even though they lost owens a clown

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don’t get as wound up about plastics as some, but I just don’t get the mind set behind a man in his forties or fifties whose lived in the Rhondda valley all of his life wandering around his home village with a Liverpool shirt on like I saw two doing at 8 o clock yesterday morning or the mind set which has a stain glass Liverpool FC window put in his house like someone who lives not far from me has done.

There are plenty of lows for most fans who choose to follow their local and/or home town team, but they only make the rare highs that much more enjoyable when they come along - plastics don’t get such feelings, I just don’t get how they could experience the sort of pride I feel when City win something or reach a Final.
    They don't. It's now not about winning something, or getting close, it's more about how much 'silverware' they get in a season and is it enough for their fans not to be disappointed. The number of times in recent years I've turned on the Radio [5 live mostly], where they have got together a couple of rival 'fans' from the top clubs discussing who won more FA cups in the last 15 years, more league cups, more Champions League wins, finals.

I don’t get as wound up about plastics as some, but I just don’t get the mind set behind a man in his forties or fifties whose lived in the Rhondda valley all of his life wandering around his home village with a Liverpool shirt on like I saw two doing at 8 o clock yesterday morning or the mind set which has a stain glass Liverpool FC window put in his house like someone who lives not far from me has done.

There are plenty of lows for most fans who choose to follow their local and/or home town team, but they only make the rare highs that much more enjoyable when they come along - plastics don’t get such feelings, I just don’t get how they could experience the sort of pride I feel when City win something or reach a Final.
    Knowing a few of them, I worked out they all seem to be stuck in the mind of a nine year boy, love MOTD and they choose their team on who was the best back then. Different strokes for different folks, they seem happy, they even go to Anfield or old Trafford now and again you know…..in 30 years it will be Man City tops worn by them

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Well...

I’m surprised you’ve given it a response.

Interestingly, there’s supporters of Merthyr who feel the same way about City fans from the area.

I suppose it’s about personal perspectives.
    I have met some very odd Merthyr fans

But if someone from Pentrebach is travelling 24 miles to watch Cardiff City in the championship lower reaches then that's incomparable to supporting Liverpool or United 175 miles away

It's certainly stretching things

The Merthyr Mafia should be more concerned with the hundreds and hundreds of plastic Liverpool and United fans on their back yard

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have met some very odd Merthyr fans

But if someone from Pentrebach is travelling 24 miles to watch Cardiff City in the championship lower reaches then that's incomparable to supporting Liverpool or United 175 miles away

It's certainly stretching things

The Merthyr Mafia should be more concerned with the hundreds and hundreds of plastic Liverpool and United fans on their back yard
    You're a strange one on times.

If you think some Merthyr fans are more pissed off with the odd Liverpool supporter waltzing up to Anfield 3 or 4 times a year rather than the scores or hundreds or watch City you really gave no grasp on how local perspectives work.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Knowing a few of them, I worked out they all seem to be stuck in the mind of a nine year boy, love MOTD and they choose their team on who was the best back then. Different strokes for different folks, they seem happy, they even go to Anfield or old Trafford now and again you know…..in 30 years it will be Man City tops worn by them
    exactly, the high will be a Champions league final or 2 domestic cups, or runners up with the prem, I used to always say " if you dont suffer the lows then you dont enjoy the high as much " but thats what we convince ourselves just to make us real fans, in realaity the highs of " supporting " team thats just had a season Liverpool had must be pretty good for them

people have a opinion that you must be local to be a supporter / fan of a team, Im a fan of the LA Rams, have been since a school kid, they won the SuperBowl this year, I was well chuffed , Im sure Donny in Agoura Hills isnt really bothered that I shared his happiness over the win

exactly, the high will be a Champions league final or 2 domestic cups, or runners up with the prem, I used to always say " if you dont suffer the lows then you dont enjoy the high as much " but thats what we convince ourselves just to make us real fans, in realaity the highs of " supporting " team thats just had a season Liverpool had must be pretty good for them

people have a opinion that you must be local to be a supporter / fan of a team, Im a fan of the LA Rams, have been since a school kid, they won the SuperBowl this year, I was well chuffed , Im sure Donny in Agoura Hills isnt really bothered that I shared his happiness over the win
    Probably not in all likelihood but I would bet your feelings over the Rams winning that super bowl weren't comparable to those of the locals in LA who go to the games regularly, or those with close family ties to the area or team.
    I also follow the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team after watching them a few years ago but I wouldn't pretend to being as hurt as their hardcorea fans were when they choked in the play offs yet again a few weeks ago...
    Some or my cousins who are born and raised in Cardiff are fully fledged Liverpool fans and don't follow City at all, and I just find it so bizarre. They have no link whatsoever to the city, no family connection. Their Facebook pages always posting YNWA bullshit posts 🤑

I watched the game last night with a friend of mine ( late 40’s) who is the definition of a “plastic “ fan. Lived in Portsmouth all his life yet refers to Liverpool as we / us etc and sticks YNWA on all his social media posts. He’s a good guy, yet doesn’t get why me and our other mates think it’s funny, he says he’s been a die hard fan since he was 7 yet he had never been to Anfield until at last taking his son to one game this season ( and that was corporate!) . All of us in our group have been to Anfield supporting our local teams ( where we grew up) more than he has.

He has been walking round in his Liverpool shirt all week and was pretty animated during the game but when it was over, he said, ah well there’s always next season. That’s the big difference, they’ll never really experience the massive highs - and of course lows - as when you’re fully invested in your local club.To them the next big final will be next season whereas we get once in a lifetime opportunities.

It’s a different way of looking at football, I told him the Wrexham - Grimsby game earlier in the day was far more entertaining than the champions league final and he thought I was taking the piss and would never dream of watching a game outside of the premier league

https://mobile.twitter.com/richarlis...64726719365120

The thread under this is quite funny, about everton fans setting up a fake coach company.

Harsh on proper fans tbf but as far as banter goes with rivals it's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    He has been walking round in his Liverpool shirt all week and was pretty animated during the game but when it was over, he said, ah well there’s always next season. That’s the big difference, they’ll never really experience the massive highs - and of course lows - as when you’re fully invested in your local club.
    The thing is, being fully-invested in a professional football club isn't a particularly sensible course of action when you take the time to think about it. Indeed, my biggest regret is that I wasted so much of my time and money while being fully-invested in a professional football club for almost forty years of my life. Let's be honest here, it's not some kind of a noble calling - it's pretty dumb all things considered.

So what if people view professional football as being nothing more than entertainment? Is there really anything wrong with that? And as for the notion that people should only support their local club, it's kind of ironic to hear that line coming from fans of a club that is owned and controlled by a Malaysian, especially when some of them have never supported their local club.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The thing is, being fully-invested in a professional football club isn't a particularly sensible course of action when you take the time to think about it. Indeed, my biggest regret is that I wasted so much of my time and money while being fully-invested in a professional football club for almost forty years of my life. Let's be honest here, it's not some kind of a noble calling - it's pretty dumb all things considered.

So what if people view professional football as being nothing more than entertainment? Is there really anything wrong with that? And as for the notion that people should only support their local club, it's kind of ironic to hear that line coming from fans of a club that is owned and controlled by a Malaysian, especially when some of them have never supported their local club.
    Succumbing to nihilistic consumption of football. Sad to have lost you Dave. It's a coping mechanism for you and i understand it. The hurt i felt at the way many City "fans" went along with the rebrand was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I’d go further than pretty dumb… it’s borderline unhinged. In nearly all walks of life my general experience is that loyalty is a one way street. The only thing that’s been consistent for me is family (and not everyone is even that lucky).

Cardiff City when I boil it down is just entertainment to me. It’s a business with an owner who’ll make the decisions that are appropriate to him. This message board is about as involved as I get. I care that we win, but if we don’t I’m over it in 5 minutes and on to the next thing in my day no matter what the game. I cared that we played in blue but honestly couldn’t have cared less if we had continued in red…it was just a colour ultimately.

Don’t get me wrong, I love football, have had a soft spot for Man Utd since my late Dad took me to Old Trafford to see George Best play when I was 7. I watch any live game, am a big fan of Fantasy Premier League, and even cheer for England when Wales don’t make a major tournament, but yiu’d never catch me giving up my time to be active in or even join a supporters trust. Good luck to those that do but there are much more important priorities in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’d go further than pretty dumb… it’s borderline unhinged. In nearly all walks of life my general experience is that loyalty is a one way street. The only thing that’s been consistent for me is family (and not everyone is even that lucky).

Cardiff City when I boil it down is just entertainment to me. It’s a business with an owner who’ll make the decisions that are appropriate to him. This message board is about as involved as I get. I care that we win, but if we don’t I’m over it in 5 minutes and on to the next thing in my day no matter what the game. I cared that we played in blue but honestly couldn’t have cared less if we had continued in red…it was just a colour ultimately.

Don’t get me wrong, I love football, have had a soft spot for Man Utd since my late Dad took me to Old Trafford to see George Best play when I was 7. I watch any live game, am a big fan of Fantasy Premier League, and even cheer for England when Wales don’t make a major tournament, but yiu’d never catch me giving up my time to be active in or even join a supporters trust. Good luck to those that do but there are much more important priorities in my opinion.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nihistic consumer, sadly a feature of modernity in the West.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Succumbing to nihilistic consumption of football.
    Succumbing to common sense would be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Ridiculous.

Were you a fan when they played in St Louis?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nihistic consumer, sadly a feature of modernity in the West.
    I think you’ve either misunderstood nihilism or are applying poetic license to it…..

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You're a strange one on times.

If you think some Merthyr fans are more pissed off with the odd Liverpool supporter waltzing up to Anfield 3 or 4 times a year rather than the scores or hundreds or watch City you really gave no grasp on how local perspectives work.
    I bet my ass that there are plenty of locals in the Merthyr Borough area that hop on buses or drive up to Liverpool and United and I bet its more than a few times a season !

And that doesn't account for the stacks that will wear Liverpool or United tops whilst watching them on sky . The Merthyr lot want to be concerned about them I would have thought .

It's the same all over Wales it's just Merthyr are our biggest non league side and being where they are unfortunately are going to see people watch their NEAREST football league team

NEAREST or near by being the key here . I am sure that some of these Merthyr based cardiff or indeed Swansea fans watch the martyrs from time to time

The ones to be angry about are the ones who don't bother at all

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think you’ve either misunderstood nihilism or are applying poetic license to it…..
    Not at all, Nihilistic qualities are the rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the belief that life is meaningless. In the context of football, you have displayed zero moral principle in the face of a very disrespectful identity change, by a foriegn meglamaniac. You said yourself that the rebrand didn't bother you and the result means nothing after 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately you fit the description of a nihilistic consumer of football. I'm just amazed you cared enough to try and dispute it.

Not at all, Nihilistic qualities are the rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the belief that life is meaningless. In the context of football, you have displayed zero moral principle in the face of a very disrespectful identity change, by a foriegn meglamaniac. You said yourself that the rebrand didn't bother you and the result means nothing after 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately you fit the description of a nihilistic consumer of football. I'm just amazed you cared enough to try and dispute it.
    🤣 poetic license then

I agree with the gunman on this subject.
    I was born in St Davids hospital, and have never lived more than 4 miles from Ninian Park/CCS. Cardiff City are my team, and always will be. That said, i’ve never invested any extra time in the club other than going to games. Luckily, i realised from a young age, that there is no 2way loyalty in football, when one of my favourite City players left us for another club.
    In 50 yrs of supporting the City, i’ve never had a ST. Due to work commitments, i’ve never been able to go to every home game in any one given season. I do go to as many home games as i can, but i’ve been going to less away games over the past few seasons.
    I go to games with a group of mates i’ve been going with since school days. When all are able to go, there are 7 of us, but usually about 4or 5 go to any given game. We’ve witnessed the few highs and many lows together, whilst none if us get too emotional about things. The good thing about supporting a team like Cardiff, is it teaches you from a young age, how to deal with disappointment.
    We go for a few beers before the game, and a few after. We very rarely discuss, the goings on at the CCS through the week, or see each other through the week.
    I’m the only 1 of the 7 who post’s on here.I only realised this MB existed after talking to another city fan in a boozer after a game many yrs ago.
    The Rebrand came and went, but we all kept going, whilst all having different opinions about it.
    If football fans want to support teams from different areas, then so be it. I personally couldn’t. Since a kid, i’ve always looked out for results of Queen of the South, and Crewe Alexandra, simply because i like the names. I’ve been to watch both teams play at home once, just for the fun of it.
    All in all, i wouldn’t slate any fan of any club that invests too much time and emotion,, but that’s not for me or my other 6 mates.
    The club will hopefully be around a lot longer than us 7.