+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Liverpool v Real Madrid. Match thread

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    🤣 poetic license then
    No, the google definition of nihilism. If you disagree explain what you disagree with. I'm not a fan of google's algorithm generally maybe that'll be your gripe too. Other than that i'm baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    No, the google definition of nihilism. If you disagree explain what you disagree with. I'm not a fan of google's algorithm generally maybe that'll be your gripe too. Other than that i'm baffled.
    I think you gave a reasonable definition of nihilism in response to TLG. What was it about StraightOuttaCanton's inspiring post about why football is important to him that you thought nihilistic? Use poetic licence if Google doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think you gave a reasonable definition of nihilism in response to TLG.
    Can you define what exactly was meant by succumbing to nihilistic consumption of football?

I've given it some thought and come to the conclusion that it means nothing in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Can you define what exactly was meant by succumbing to nihilistic consumption of football?

I've given it some thought and come to the conclusion that it means nothing in reality.
    Indeed, my biggest regret is that I wasted so much of my time and money while being fully-invested in a professional football club for almost forty years of my life.
    Think your new mate focused on this bit!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I agree with the gunman on this subject.
    I was born in St Davids hospital, and have never lived more than 4 miles from Ninian Park/CCS. Cardiff City are my team, and always will be. That said, i’ve never invested any extra time in the club other than going to games. Luckily, i realised from a young age, that there is no 2way loyalty in football, when one of my favourite City players left us for another club.
    In 50 yrs of supporting the City, i’ve never had a ST. Due to work commitments, i’ve never been able to go to every home game in any one given season. I do go to as many home games as i can, but i’ve been going to less away games over the past few seasons.
    I go to games with a group of mates i’ve been going with since school days. When all are able to go, there are 7 of us, but usually about 4or 5 go to any given game. We’ve witnessed the few highs and many lows together, whilst none if us get too emotional about things. The good thing about supporting a team like Cardiff, is it teaches you from a young age, how to deal with disappointment.
    We go for a few beers before the game, and a few after. We very rarely discuss, the goings on at the CCS through the week, or see each other through the week.
    I’m the only 1 of the 7 who post’s on here.I only realised this MB existed after talking to another city fan in a boozer after a game many yrs ago.
    The Rebrand came and went, but we all kept going, whilst all having different opinions about it.
    If football fans want to support teams from different areas, then so be it. I personally couldn’t. Since a kid, i’ve always looked out for results of Queen of the South, and Crewe Alexandra, simply because i like the names. I’ve been to watch both teams play at home once, just for the fun of it.
    All in all, i wouldn’t slate any fan of any club that invests too much time and emotion,, but that’s not for me or my other 6 mates.
    The club will hopefully be around a lot longer than us 7.
    Queen of the South ! I also look out for them. Strange how names can draw an affinity -East Stirlingshire is another one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The thing is, being fully-invested in a professional football club isn't a particularly sensible course of action when you take the time to think about it. Indeed, my biggest regret is that I wasted so much of my time and money while being fully-invested in a professional football club for almost forty years of my life. Let's be honest here, it's not some kind of a noble calling - it's pretty dumb all things considered.

So what if people view professional football as being nothing more than entertainment? Is there really anything wrong with that? And as for the notion that people should only support their local club, it's kind of ironic to hear that line coming from fans of a club that is owned and controlled by a Malaysian, especially when some of them have never supported their local club.
    We are just customers, was it David Treme ( spelling ? ? ? ) who made a cherry picking remark about us fans that got a lot riled up

when the time is right, we dont go to every game / stop going, the club will not be knocking on your door asking for you to come back, we kid ourselves that we are important, but the truth is, we are just customers who go and pay a few quid to watch some entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Were you a fan when they played in St Louis?
    as it happens, No, while I fully understood how the " NFL franchise " worked, I was at the time still looking at Wimbledon moving elsewhere, the idea of a team moving away from its home didnt sit right with me, what about the " real fans " they would be without a team, a team belongs to its local community , so it wasn't till the Rams moved back to LA that they became my team again, of course I missed the Super Bowl win as the SL Rams

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I bet my ass that there are plenty of locals in the Merthyr Borough area that hop on buses or drive up to Liverpool and United and I bet its more than a few times a season !

And that doesn't account for the stacks that will wear Liverpool or United tops whilst watching them on sky . The Merthyr lot want to be concerned about them I would have thought .

It's the same all over Wales it's just Merthyr are our biggest non league side and being where they are unfortunately are going to see people watch their NEAREST football league team

NEAREST or near by being the key here . I am sure that some of these Merthyr based cardiff or indeed Swansea fans watch the martyrs from time to time

The ones to be angry about are the ones who don't bother at all
    That's another of your myopic views.

I'm from Aberfan. The truth being was always taken to watch City or Cardiff as they're known up here.

We agree on one thing most Merthyr fans are odd. The Martyr fans in school were always the utter weirdos, usually liked American Football and thought the A Team was a documentary.

Their biggest bug bears were Cardiff fan's from the area. Some of them still hold that view today and are quite vocal about it. I suppose it's similar to an Oldham or Stockport fan who watches the locals waltz off to watch the both Manchester clubs?

You got the odd City fan who may watch both but let's not pretend it's a mutual love in.