+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Imperial measures making a comeback - for or against?

Re: Imperial measures making a comeback - for or against?

8 Track and Betamax!

Vital part of our culture.

God Save The Queen!

Whilst we're at it can we ditch July and August and have 10 months in a year?

On a list of priorities this wouldn’t make anyones list, regardless of political views or Brexit stance.

A waste of everyone’s time and a deflection of real issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No, I'm more in favour of having an extra month and making it 13 months in the year, then they each have 4 weeks.
    The additional month should slot in between August and September

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    It's about preserving national culture and identity, these things bring a deeper meaning to life.
    Haha What an argument

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No, I'm more in favour of having an extra month and making it 13 months in the year, then they each have 4 weeks.
    The additional month should slot in between August and September
    Shill for the Gregorians are you?

It's Soft Jingoism.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Shill for the Gregorians are you?
    tell that to Moses b cotsworth

Who cares?

Rule Britannia I say get out on Thursday and raise the roof to all things British ,and thanks to our forefathers for delivering us a good safe ,fair , prosperous country for our children and their children .

Nothing wrong with being proud

Haha What an argument
    Tradition, identity and heritage are important. If you don't agree with that you're probably a globalist shill.

We could go for something like the French Revolutionary Calendar. That still had 12 months, but a week was 10 days ..... assume it meant you had to work for 9 before you could have a say off?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rule Britannia I say get out on Thursday and raise the roof to all things British ,and thanks to our forefathers for delivering us a good safe ,fair , prosperous country for our children and their children .

Nothing wrong with being proud
    you don't have to be stuck in the past to be proud. you.can be proud of Britain adopting the metric system and being a forward thinking country

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They never went away.
    I've never heard anyone brag that they have 20cm winky either!

The US, Myanmar and Liberia are the only 3 non-metric countries. This country's being dragged backwards by the "back in my day!" crowd.

The fact that this "red meat for the masses" idea by Boris to show Brexit had at least one positive is as pathetic as it is laughable. Even the top rated comment on the Daily Mail article is openly laughing at how stupid and pointless it is.

Tradition, identity and heritage are important. If you don't agree with that you're probably a globalist shill.
    You're right. Our national identity is intrinsically linked with measuring by the barleycorn and by gods teeth we must defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I've never heard anyone brag that they have 20cm winky either!
    they do in the rest of europe...but not in little pinky cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    The US, Myanmar and Liberia are the only 3 non-metric countries. This country's being dragged backwards by the "back in my day!" crowd.

The fact that this "red meat for the masses" idea by Boris to show Brexit had at least one positive is as pathetic as it is laughable. Even the top rated comment on the Daily Mail article is openly laughing at how stupid and pointless it is.
    That stupid? Wow.

You're right. Our national identity is intrinsically linked with measuring by the barleycorn and by gods teeth we must defend it.
    I didn't say "intrinsically" lardy pants. I clearly said it was a part "allbeit small"

I didn't say "intrinsically" lardy pants. I clearly said it was a part "allbeit small"
    But you do think we should bring back the barleycorn?

I refuse to call our new superstar Ollie two and a half p!!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    8 Track and Betamax!

Vital part of our culture.

God Save The Queen!
    Cassettes.

Bring back Spangles, Marathon, Treats, Bar Six, Opal Fruits...

Feck off! My birthday is in there!

But you do think we should bring back the barleycorn?
    Not sure what barley corn is but i'm all up for reviving traditions "if" they enrich society. i'm all up for a revolt against certain aspects of the modern world and globalism. The idea in this thread that tradition is bad and modern is automatically good and "progressive" is nonesense. Someone suggesting life is better today because we don't have betamax video is also nonesense. Some people are clearly impressed by the next new glittery thing. Which is nothing more than mindless consumerism

Not sure what barley corn is but i'm all up for reviving traditions "if" they enrich society. i'm all up for a revolt against certain aspects of the modern world and globalism. The idea in this thread that tradition is bad and modern is automatically good and "progressive" is nonesense. Someone suggesting life is better today because we don't have betamax video is also nonesense. Some people are clearly impressed by the next new glittery thing. Which is nothing more than mindless consumerism
    I'm pretty sure the metric system isn't some new fad that isn't going to catch on

The metric system is older than imperial, so you might want to change your allegiances.

If there'd been a ccmb in the 1820s, perhaps people there would have been upset about moving from the Winchester System to the new fangled one.