A woman has asked me to go and watch Footloose at The New Theatre

She's wasting her time

My favourites from my shady memory were

An Inspector Calls , JB Priestly ......very intriguing and psychological

Metamorphosis, Kafka........another level up on the dark switch

Re: Your Favourite Theatre Plays

oh dear

Never went to a theatre play before I met my mrs, apart from the one Panto. But got to say Les Miserables is fantastic!

Play it again Sam. 1969 London
    Jersey Boys 2010 London

No idea who was the star cast in either.

I rarely go but Art was good.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    oh dear
    Never seen it

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I rarely go but Art was good.
    Art WAS good before it became woke

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    oh dear
    Lol

This is a great night out, funny as f***

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...ile-gws-wiz-hp

We love the panto and go every year. We also go each summer to the Everyman theatre open air shows in Sophia Gardens.

I'm not really one for Plays as such but a while back went to see a stage version of Dad's Army. Leslie Grantham played Private Walker. My son spotted Jimmy Perry in the audience so after the show went and spoke with him. Fascinating chap.

Went with a mate to the Chapter to see Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy play. About 1980? Brilliant. Had a pan galactic gargle blaster at half time. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Never went to a theatre play before I met my mrs, apart from the one Panto. But got to say Les Miserables is fantastic!
    Agreed! Seen it a few times.
    Also Return to the Forbidden Planet is a good Rock'n'roll "jukebox" show.

The first theatre play I went to I was in it!

It's certainly a surprise to me to learn the original poster has attended mainstream theatre shows. I did know he was a regular for new age-type nonsense productions which were an excuse to fill the stage with nubile young ladies with flowers in their hair while starkers but for wearing transparent nighties.

He'd be in the front row seats, his eyes widening with delight at regular intervals.

The Merchant of Venice. New Theatre 1981. Sharon from Crossroads played Portia.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Agreed! Seen it a few times.
    Also Return to the Forbidden Planet is a good Rock'n'roll "jukebox" show.
    I’d definitely see it again. Will suggest Return to the forbidden planet to the mrs next time we’re in London 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The first theatre play I went to I was in it!
    Did you play the donkey or one of the sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    That's a musical, not a play, isn't it?

When I was living in London, I saw Les Miserables twice. Luckily for me, Colm Wilkinson was playing the part of Jean Valjean. His singing of 'Bring Him Home' was very moving.

as a kid I was dragged to see Joseph and his amazing technicolour dreamcoat which was a load of shite
    then Starlight Express which was even shitter.

as an adult dragged to see Les miserables which was OK I guess.
    went to see Wicked, which was pretty good, I liked the retelling of a story everyone knows with the baddie as the hero
    then took the kids to see the lion king, which was ok, but not as good as the film
    in fact Les miserables probably isn't as good as the film either, and if they made a film of wicked they could make that better than the stage show as well.

in short: theatres are ok, but cinemas are better and about a fifth the price

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's certainly a surprise to me to learn the original poster has attended mainstream theatre shows. I did know he was a regular for new age-type nonsense productions which were an excuse to fill the stage with nubile young ladies with flowers in their hair while starkers but for wearing transparent nighties.

He'd be in the front row seats, his eyes widening with delight at regular intervals.
    What would he be like at a ballet

When I moved to England..nr Cambridge in 1973 , I was 14.
    Within 3 months of being in the new school , they were running a coach to the Drury Lane theatre to watch Monty Python live. ( an LP came out with a recording of it ).
    We were sat in the stalls when Cleese came along the aisle , doing the Albatross sketch..."Of course you don't get ****ing wafers with it, you cocksucker "

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    When I moved to England..nr Cambridge in 1973 , I was 14.
    Within 3 months of being in the new school , they were running a coach to the Drury Lane theatre to watch Monty Python live. ( an LP came out with a recording of it ).
    We were sat in the stalls when Cleese came along the aisle , doing the Albatross sketch..."Of course you don't get ****ing wafers with it, you cocksucker "
    Spamalot was good, but I think it's stopped now because it was "lovingly ripped off from Monty Python and the Holy Grail" - which led to law suits over rights and royalties.

My brother is very keen on the theatre.He is 8 years older than me and when I was young we often went up to London to watch a play or musical. Later on I used to see shows when I went up on courses when working in Th Civil Service and BT. Haven't been to London for more than 30 years now though

I vaguely remember seeing My Fair Lady in the early sixties with Martin Clunes dad the late Alec playing Professor Higgins.

I also saw the late John Bluthal (Frank Pickle in The Vicar of Dibley) playing Fagin in Oliver around the same time

I was lucky enough to be on a course in London on the week Evita opened and saw the first ever performance with Elaine Paige,David Essex and Joss Ackland. Not the World Premiere but the first of the three preview performances that they used to do before a big show in those days (and may still do for all I know)

I also saw Charlton Heston there in 1988 playing Sir Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons Whilst not in the class of an Olivier or a Gielgud,he was a decent stage actor and it was a good production (it also starred Roy Kinnear who was sadly to die later that year when he fell off his horse filming The 3 Musketeers in Spain).

You may have heard the famous line from the play (said after Sir Richard Rich commits perjury which leads to Thomas More's execution). More sees that Rich is wearing an ornate chain round his neck and asks what it is. Rich say that he is appointed Attorney General to Wales at which More says the following

"For Wales? Why Richard, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world

... But for Wales!"

For anyone wishing to relive their schooldays I noticed today that An Inspector Calls is on at the New Theatre in October.

Saw a great adaptation of 12 Angry men a few years ago. I've seen Death of a Salesman a couple of times with different casts and loved it. Most unique has to be Ghost Stories with Andy Nyman. It was later made into a film but the play was outstanding. The only time I can remember smell being used to terrify a theatre audience!