+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Sheeran M4 chaos prompts Cardiff event questions

Ed Sheeran M4 chaos prompts Cardiff event questions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61632136

It has hosted the biggest sports events, showcased music's brightest stars and welcomed world leaders - but Cardiff's ability to stage major shows is now in question.

Re: Ed Sheeran M4 chaos prompts Cardiff event questions

Great publicity for our capital city. Well done Cardiff Council, Transport for Wales, and the Welsh Government.

Well I hate to remind everyone Mr Drakeford and WAG have called a halt to road building https://www.thenational.wales/enviro...limate-change/

Our International Airport looks doomed .

Wonder what the hit on the economy will be if these events do take a turn for the worse .

We are lucky that our big City neighbours Bristol don't fancy these type of events.

Driving from Cheltenham to Cardiff on a Friday night is a nightmare. I have missed a lot of cricket at Sophia Gardens plus much of the first half of Wales v Bosnia 7/8 years ago. This has been going on for so long but nothing is ever done about it

The M4 desperately needs improvement. Everyone can see it except the Welsh government.

Just as well we didn't need a relief road then. It's bad enough rush hour on the m4 most days, let alone with an event.

Central badly needs an upgrade.

The metro might happen in the next 40 years.

Embarrassing.

The showcase weekend coincided with the schools half term with people travelling west to get away for a break.

Cardiff has been at breaking point for a lot of events staged over the years but
    3 days of thousands of fans descending on the city for Ed Sheeran along with another gig at Sophia Gardens.
    Who the hell gave the go ahead?

The infrastructure west of the Severn Bridge has been broken for a very long time and the amount of time and money spent for decades on trying to put it right gets shelved at the drop of a hat by that out of touch eejit down the bay.

Feckin pathetic.

Nothing new here except the publicity. Newport is a bottleneck & parking is a nightmare and that’s just for City games with crowds of 15,000. On Sunday I’ll be arriving at least 3 hours early just to make sure of somewhere to park.

Awful decision from Drakeford to cancel the proposed M4 bypass. Will have very real longterm consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Great publicity for our capital city. Well done Cardiff Council, Transport for Wales, and the Welsh Government.
    The tourist tax will go down well also….

A Welsh government genuinely motivated to grow the South Wales economy would invest in upgrading the M4 and in upgrading the public transport system. Instead we're stuck with this bunch of clowns. Now that COVID finally seems to be behind us, we're going to reminded just how useless they usually are at running the country.

A Welsh government genuinely motivated to grow the South Wales economy would invest in upgrading the M4 and in upgrading the public transport system. Instead we're stuck with this bunch of clowns. Now that COVID finally seems to be behind us, we're going to reminded just how useless they usually are at running the country.
    Isn't the Metro a major upgrade, once it is finished?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Awful decision from Drakeford to cancel the proposed M4 bypass. Will have very real longterm consequences.
    Insane. Coming down to C4rdf is no fun at all and the 50mph zone a total pain in both directions. A mickey mouse airport and a load of tree huggers getting in the way and a railway station more akin to the 60's. Look at Reading's new station as an example of what it should be like.

Where's the new bus station btw?

I feel sorry for my son. He lives right by the stadium He got Ed three nights running.
    I'd rather go and see Ed the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Hopefully, but we're talking about a country whose capital city hasn't had a bus station for seven years, so I'll believe it when I see it. My point was that the Welsh Government needed to do both, not one or the other.

Hopefully, but we're talking about a country whose capital city hasn't had a bus station for seven years, so I'll believe it when I see it. My point was that the Welsh Government needed to do both, not one or the other.
    My view is that, during peak traffic, the M4, A470 and others are a nightmare. Much of the day they are relatively free flowing. During peak hours, public transport struggles like hell. Outside of that, patronage is low.

Our transport system struggles when it's at its busiest, but for most of the time is absolutely fine. How many cities around the UK have relatively easy going peak travels? I've been told by more than one person that Bristol is a bigger nightmare during peak hours than Cardiff.

The valleys don't need an every 15 minute train service into Cardiff. During peak time, it could double and still be full.

Paris didn’t do too well with a big event on the weekend either. Back to Cardiff, it’s the dreadful public transport system which is the main problem. Metro badly needed. Other conurbations have had them for decades.

we came down on Thursday, left home at 2 ( now if we come up and watch the football, we leave at 3.15 and normally miss most of the traffic, arrive at the CCS at about 5.30 - 6.00 ) but on Thursday, we got past the M32 junction and it was slow, just got over the bridge and the traffic ground to a halt, ironically was clear after the brynglas tunnel, off at the Barry junction, down to CCS and parked up and walked into town through canton

the M4 issues were just the volume of cars, but while moving slow, looking around it didnt look like mass's were heading to see Ed ( reports say the real bad traffic happened a hour or so later with loads of concert goers held up in it

Having said that, on the way home, we walked through canton, grabbed a Mc D's from the CCS site and were home from there in 90 mins, which was decent, someone we knew took over 1 hour to get out of Cardiff, they said they parked in the centre

A Friend drove up on Friday and it too 4 hours to get to the bridge ( normally takes under 1 hour from us )

It's what decades or even a century of under investment by Westminster gets you

Apart from the ludicrous lack of a bus station after once being in the envious position of having it and the main railway station within one hundred yards (I’d better say metres as well!) of each other, is Cardiff’s situation any worse than most other major cities? I ask that question without knowing the answer because transport to and from major cities (apart from Swansea) from where I now live is a bit of a joke. That’s the thing, there are plenty of regions that would not be best pleased if any new transport funding was concentrated solely on Cardiff and the M4.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well I hate to remind everyone Mr Drakeford and WAG have called a halt to road building https://www.thenational.wales/enviro...limate-change/

Our International Airport looks doomed .

Wonder what the hit on the economy will be if these events do take a turn for the worse .

We are lucky that our big City neighbours Bristol don't fancy these type of events.
    You are right to mention it, it's a major factor everything he has control of like the road infrastructure and NHS is a mess, welsh ambulance service terrible, airport vertually non existant!. They have been good at damaging the economy though by locking down harder longer and unnecessarily five mile travel bans, meaning you could go locally and shop indoors but not travel to the open air beach or mountain, and we can boast the slowest roads in Europe 20mph and 50mph for motorways!

International

My view is that, during peak traffic, the M4, A470 and others are a nightmare. Much of the day they are relatively free flowing. During peak hours, public transport struggles like hell. Outside of that, patronage is low.

Our transport system struggles when it's at its busiest, but for most of the time is absolutely fine. How many cities around the UK have relatively easy going peak travels? I've been told by more than one person that Bristol is a bigger nightmare during peak hours than Cardiff.

The valleys don't need an every 15 minute train service into Cardiff. During peak time, it could double and still be full.
    The M4 at the brynglas tunnels is the biggest problem, if they had gone ahead and sorted that issue out frst other problems could have been addressed later, from memory Westminster offered funding but the WAG and refused? Anyone who has had to comute to Bristol for work will understand ths more thn people that have never had to do this, I di for a few years and it was terrible.

Also as people are saying a central bus station is important, and to move it from right next to the main train station, makes no sense at all?

When in 2150? Or later! And the Newport bypass will still be talked about.

I've been told by more than one person that Bristol is a bigger nightmare during peak hours than Cardiff.
    I drive all round the UK for work and Bristol is the worst by miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Nothing new here except the publicity. Newport is a bottleneck & parking is a nightmare and that’s just for City games with crowds of 15,000. On Sunday I’ll be arriving at least 3 hours early just to make sure of somewhere to park.
    Sunday is the end of half term/extended Bank Holiday weekend, too. I'm going for 4 hours early and a good lunch.