+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tory MP hounded off campus for describing women as adult human females.

Tory MP hounded off campus for describing women as adult human females.

Re: Tory MP hounded off campus for describing women as adult human females.

2022 eh as the “silent majority” have to live, not the shrill minorities on the left and right who want to fight never ending culture wars.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-living-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    2022 eh as the “silent majority” have to live, not the shrill minorities on the left and right who want to fight never ending culture wars.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-living-crisis
    It's all they have left. They aren't trusted on any of the big issues so for the next two years we will constantly hear about how the 'woke brigade' are coming to destroy Britain when in reality, there has always been a few people on the extremes shouting others down.

This kind of nonsense is Tory campaigning 101 and circa 30% of the population are unfortunately hook line and sinker.

Interesting stuff, but you've posted stuff not related to the subject.

This was about a totally different issue (trans right, intolerance on campus, political bigotry, free speech etc)

Anything on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

This was about a totally different issue (trans right, intolerance on campus, political bigotry, free speech etc)

Anything on that?
    No I couldn't care less either way. Are trans issues and 10 person campus protests close to your heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It's all they have left. They aren't trusted on any of the big issues so for the next two years we will constantly hear about how the 'woke brigade' are coming to destroy Britain when in reality, there has always been a few people on the extremes shouting others down.

This kind of nonsense is Tory campaigning 101 and circa 30% of the population are unfortunately hook line and sinker.
    I'm not saying there is a deep rooted smugness in your post, but I love how it's always others who fall for things. Always others who have the wrong beliefs. Always others who are universally unable to read between the lines or incapable of questioning what they read.

No I couldn't care less either way. Are trans issues close to your heart?
    Why post then? Trans rights are important. Political intolerance is a big problem in this country IMO, so yes, that is an important issue I think.

Anything on that?
    No, as I said, shrill minorities on either side more interested in fighting culture wars - Johnson and his Government keep telling us to “move on” from Partygate because there’s far more important things going on and then start talking about sending people to Rwanda, poles, perches and furkins and trying to fight the Brexit “war” again!

I'm not saying there is a deep rooted smugness in your post, but I love how it's always others who fall for things. Always others who have the wrong beliefs. Always others who are universally unable to read between the lines or incapable of questioning what they read.
    Ivory tower twat is literally your entire ccmb persona. Example being the windfall tax, you acted like anybody in favour of it just didn't understand the complexity involved.

No, as I said, shrill minorities on either side more interested in fighting culture wars - Johnson and his Government keep telling us to “move on” from Partygate because there’s far more important things going on and then start talking about sending people to Rwanda, poles, perches and furkins and trying to fight the Brexit “war” again!
    It's not just the government, James himself told everybody on here to move on because there were more important things, presumably this is one of them!?

So are you saying all the government can talk about is partygate cos thats what you want to talk about? The things you mention are in response to other issues because there are other issues going on.

Ivory tower twat is literally your entire ccmb persona. Example being the windfall tax, you acted like anybody in favour of it just didn't understand the complexity involved.

So no concerns over the event the other day then? The one in question.

So no concerns over the event the other day then? The one in question.
    I sobbed at the time but I'm over it now.

It's not just the government, James himself told everybody on here to move on because there were more important things, presumably this is one of them!?
    People can talk about what they like Eric. You won't find me demanding people talk about other things.

I may have said that I think things like the cost of living, jobs, unemployment are more important than cakes and covid rule breaches, but I also said the PM should resign. They may be my views, but I would never shut anyone else down.

Which is why stories like this thread concern me - a growing political intolerance not open minded to debate and alternative views. Perhaps you are part of that, i dunno?

I sobbed at the time but I'm over it now.
    Good to know you've moved onto happier pastimes like shouting at me.

People can talk about what they like Eric. You won't find me demanding people talk about other things.

I may have said that I think things like the cost of living, jobs, unemployment are more important than cakes and covid rule breaches, but I also said the PM should resign. They may be my views, but I would never shut anyone else down.

Which is why stories like this thread concern me - a growing political intolerance not open minded to debate and alternative views. Perhaps you are part of that, i dunno?
    Your evidence of it growing? Because you are hearing/reading more about it? (See mine and bobs first posts and read them this time)

As I said, there have always been people with extreme views shouting people down.

Good to know you've moved onto happier pastimes like shouting at me.
    I will stop right now, I don't want to risk triggering your victim complex.

Your evidence of it growing? Because you are hearing/reading more about it? (See mine and bobs first posts and read them this time)

As I said, there have always been people with extreme views shouting people down.
    There's plenty of evidence of growing political intolerance. I fully understand that people with extreme views have always shouted people down, but they were usually condemned properly. Is this happening now? We have people protesting (ironically whilst purporting to object to hatred) 'tory scum' (which Angela Rayner of course was happy to say) to a very rational minded politician stating a perfectly valid biological point, which no doubt some will disagree with, but he should be allowed to be heard.

Here's some evidence (from the US)
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...xtreme-levels/

Admittedly, this doesn't show a change over time, but a third of Labour voters being upset over their child marrying someone who votes differently. I'd say this is a sign of intolerance. And look how intolerant of different opinions some of those 'remainers' are! Surely, we shouldnt normalise this?
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyl...cs-childs-spou

And thats without talking about the examples on twitter and other stories from university campuses.

I just don't understand why you tried to change the topic? There's plenty of spaces to talk about other issues. Why not this one?

I will stop right now, I don't want to risk triggering your victim complex.
    You mean you have nothing to say on it, but was angry that someone was talking about a topic you are less comfortable about.

There's plenty of evidence of growing political intolerance. I fully understand that people with extreme views have always shouted people down, but they were usually condemned properly. Is this happening now? We have people protesting (ironically whilst purporting to object to hatred) 'tory scum' (which Angela Rayner of course was happy to say) to a very rational minded politician stating a perfectly valid biological point, which no doubt some will disagree with, but he should be allowed to be heard.

Here's some evidence (from the US)
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...xtreme-levels/

Admittedly, this doesn't show a change over time, but a third of Labour voters being upset over their child marrying someone who votes differently. I'd say this is a sign of intolerance. And look how intolerant of different opinions some of those 'remainers' are! Surely, we shouldnt normalise this?
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyl...cs-childs-spou

And thats without talking about the examples on twitter and other stories from university campuses.

I just don't understand why you tried to change the topic? There's plenty of spaces to talk about other issues. Why not this one?
    I don't think it is changing the topic to suggest that you think it's growing because you are hearing about it more (essentially what you have proved with the above failed attempt to quantify your feeling) and then to explore why you might be hearing about it more. It is the same topic, viewed from a different angle.

Just so we are clear though, this thread is only for discussing potential incidents of intolerance displayed by those who identify as the political left? That's the impression I get from your extensive summary of events above.

If you want to talk intolerance then maybe the conversation should include the state-induced intolerance towards asylum seekers. If you want to talk free speech then maybe we should at least touch upon the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act.

But you never do want to talk about these things do you. You want to talk about a millionaire senior government minister getting shouted at by a rabble.

I don't think it is changing the topic to suggest that you think it's growing because you are hearing about it more (essentially what you have proved with the above failed attempt to quantify your feeling) and then to explore why you might be hearing about it more. It is the same topic, viewed from a different angle.

Just so we are clear though, this thread is only for discussing potential incidents of intolerance displayed by those who identify as the political left? That's the impression I get from your extensive summary of events above.

If you want to talk intolerance then maybe the conversation should include the state-induced intolerance towards asylum seekers. If you want to talk free speech then maybe we should at least touch upon the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act.

But you never do want to talk about these things do you. You want to talk about a millionaire senior government minister getting shouted at by a rabble.
    Again, nothing to say about the matter in hand? Instead, ignore it (and gaslight anyone mentioning it), think it's all fine, change the topic onto something else, go for ad hominem attacks and then make a few nudge nudge wink wink comments about millionaire senior government ministers.

There's plenty of topics to talk about all the things you've mentioned. They are routinely discussed. They are different to the topic here, which you seem to think is fine, perhaps because you are intolerant of different opinions yourself? I'm just speculating on that last point of course.

You also went off on one before I said it was a growing problem too btw. I initially highlighted it as a problem.

So are you saying all the government can talk about is partygate cos thats what you want to talk about? The things you mention are in response to other issues because there are other issues going on.
    What I want to talk about is immaterial, I’d willingly move on from Partygate if there weren’t so many stories coming out ensuring it stays in the news. My point is that there is an attempt to pass Partygate off as tittle tattle which people aren’t interested in any more, they want to hear about the more important matters that need tackling.

To be fair, the Government finally did something about the cost of living crisis last week, but, even then, it was hard not to be cynical about the motivation behind it and it’s timing given what had happened the day before.

The best way I can explain what I think is that I’m sure Zahawi and his Cabinet colleagues are perfectly happy for incidents like this to occur because it enables them to go off on tangents unrelated to the things like Cost of Living crisis and the Ukraine war. I just tpbelieve the link I posted has an awful lot more to do with the most important thing facing this country today than the one you did.

What I want to talk about is immaterial, I’d willingly move on from Partygate if there weren’t so many stories coming out ensuring it stays in the news. My point is that there is an attempt to pass Partygate off as tittle tattle which people aren’t interested in any more, they want to hear about the more important matters that need tackling.

To be fair, the Government finally did something about the cost of living crisis last week, but, even then, it was hard not to be cynical about the motivation behind it and it’s timing given what had happened the day before.

The best way I can explain what I think is that I’m sure Zahawi and his Cabinet colleagues are perfectly happy for incidents like this to occur because it enables them to go off on tangents unrelated to the things like Cost of Living crisis and the Ukraine war. I just tpbelieve the link I posted has an awful lot more to do with the most important thing facing this country today than the one you did.
    TBF, given an MP was murdered last year I really don't think they are happy with this kind of endless abuse and hounding, especially when it's described as spreading hatred etc. All pretty strong stuff. I do think we need to be aware of the consequences of issues like this. The ability to listen and respectfully engage is absolutely critical. As if the right to protest of course, but the balance needs to be sought.

I do take your wider point, but even at the height of the party gate investigations (and remember, Covid rules, Covid politics, Sue Grays report and the Police investigation are now all in the past) there were still always other issues on and it's legitimate to talk about other issues without the accusation that it's somehow a deviation from talking about something else.

Admittedly, this doesn't show a change over time, but a third of Labour voters being upset over their child marrying someone who votes differently. I'd say this is a sign of intolerance.
    A Labour voter being upset over their child marrying a Tory or UKIP or BNP or similar sounds totally rational to me.

Support for a political party - for their policies, values and culture - is very different from supporting a different football club. When you see hatred or harm to others endorsed by someone your child plans to spend their life with, then a bit of upset is justified!

Not intolerance, just concern for your child and your society.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A Labour voter being upset over their child marrying a Tory or UKIP or BNP or similar sounds totally rational to me.

Support for a political party - for their policies, values and culture - is very different from supporting a different football club. When you see hatred or harm to others endorsed by someone your child plans to spend their life with, then a bit of upset is justified!

Not intolerance, just concern for your child and your society.
    Thank god most people are more open minded than you are.

For reference:

bigot
    /ˈbɪɡət/
    noun
    a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.