+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phew Johnny Depp Won

Re: Phew Johnny Depp Won

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A fair bit of the post-trial commentary seems to say that this will finally be decided on appeal.

A lot of defamation cases end up at appeal in the US... apparently.

The commentaries I have seen say the jury lost sight of the law in this case. It became a popularity contest in the courtroom and on social media (which the jury surely followed) between Depp and Heard. She was unsympathetic, probably lying and probably a major part of a sometimes violent (physical and verbal) and dysfunctional marriage.

But when it comes to the law and what was written in the opinion piece that triggered the case, most comment I have seen is confident that there was no defamation (unlike in the court room itself where everything was chucked around) and the jury based its verdict on something else. The jury verdict was also contradictory.
    Which commentaries did you see that formed this opinion?

Absolutely embarrassing if you side with Amber Heard and much more likely to be on the same level as the incels mentioned.

I didn't really follow it, but they seemed to both come out of it as pretty disgusting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Absolutely embarrassing if you side with Amber Heard and much more likely to be on the same level as the incels mentioned.
    I bet he got it from CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Beautiful looking woman

But it seems she's potty 🤔

Onwards
    She is proper skint.

May not get Hollywood gig again looking for a gaff??

Reach out ??

Don't think Depp has makes me laugh though we look up to rock stars of the past who did far worse than Depp and Heard .

You wouldn't want to get full disclosure on Zeppelin's antics or Courtney of Hole . One could got on for ever listed this crap .

And let's not forget the modern day footballers antics ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    She is proper skint.

May not get Hollywood gig again looking for a gaff??

Reach out ??
    So if I get your "joke". Woman who appears emotionally vulnerable but is a bit of a looker and now maybe short of money may be approachable for people willing to take advantage.

Think this was on similar lines to your thoughts on the woman who reached an out of court settlement with Prince Andrew.

The court case passed over my head but there are a few on here that followed it that suggested the correct legal result was achieved.

Doesn't mean your misogyny is any more acceptable as a result though.

Phew!

The result has certainly put the 'Me too' movement back a few years, though I think your opinion on whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your sex. But in reality, this was a case of libel - her accusations affected his career - not one of misogyny, or violence against women. There are a lot of accusations made against people that, for one reason or other, they choose not to contest. Depp took a gamble, and it paid off. Heard thought the trial was cut and dried - but she misunderstood the case. It wasn't Depp on trial, it was her.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The result has certainly put the 'Me too' movement back a few years, though I think your opinion on whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your sex
    Err, what? Personally as a man who's not a sex offender and has no plans to be one I don't think it's a good thing if the Me Too movement's been set back a few years, and I'd wonder about me who think it is tbh

Main stream media commentaries and opinion pieces (not CNN) that discussed the US defamation law, the different outcome from the Depp-Sun case in the UK (that he lost), the track record of these type of high profile defamation cases ending up in appeal courts, and the inherent contradiction in the verdict that found against Heard but also against Depp’s agent for labelling her claims ‘a hoax’.

I don’t side with either of them - NYCBlue put it well - but the stuff I have read made the prediction this would end up being settled on appeal quite convincing.

There were no winners from this case - apart from the lawyers and the tabloid media looking for salacious content. Car crash TV.