Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I don't think anyone should be actively prevented, more discouraged. I've said all along, it's not a few days at home thats the issue (in my opinion), but the scenario of people wholly working from home and never engaging, developing personal interactions etc. I think long term that is very bad for people, particularly earlier on in their career - indeed, I'd say it's actually completely unfair on those entering the workforce to be denied the access to more senior members of staff. There definitely are examples of some people doing very little too, which they wouldnt have gotten away with before - only a minority but still. In fact, I think some are working harder to compensate.

Nonetheless, as with most things, we have our individual responsibilities and our collective ones. If WFH does drive up inequalities, then thats a bad thing, right? It's easy to see how it does. In our office we would have people from all backgrounds, some from salubrious homes in Llandaff, some from shared student houses - all were treated equally in the office. Now the generally wealthier, generally more senior staff are less often in (if at all in some cases) in their nicer homes and spending money in their local area - less mixing, less engagement, less cross-fertilisation of different sections of society.

It's bad news, and sowing the seeds for a hell of a lot of future problems I'm telling ya!

Anyway Bob, even if you personally like it, does it not cause you some concerns if that action does help to drive up inequalities within society?
Others have remarked on your habit of thinking that just because you say something you believe it to be an absolute truth that trumps what anyone else may think - it’s not like that in real life you know, no one is right all of the time and you’re making a lot of assumptions there.

You only have to look at who is coming out against working from home to see it’s become politicised as the usual subjects try to start another of their culture wars. Working from home, shouldn’t be seen as a political matter when it can often be something that can benefit employer and employee alike. It doesn’t work for everybody, but in my case, it was mutually beneficial and I know that the vast majority of staff at my old office work more from home now than in the office with management and employees both happy for the situation to continue (or they were a year or so ago at least before the likes of Rees-Mogg started making it an issue). In my case, I think I had the best of both worlds because I was required to come into the office for one and a half days a week and I found my time in work to be more enjoyable than when I was there full time.