+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jarrod Bowen

Jarrod Bowen

Another article in walesonline about how we passed up a chance on a 17yr old Jarrod Bowen. Unbelievable . Would love to know who made that decision.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...t-new-24123532

Re: Jarrod Bowen

Football is full of stories of footballers being rejected at one club before becoming a success later in their careers. Who is to say that even if we did sign him, he would have gone on to have the success he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Football is full of stories of footballers being rejected at one club before becoming a success later in their careers. Who is to say that even if we did sign him, he would have gone on to have the success he has had.
    That is true, and I suppose the fact he was at Hereford rather than a bigger side would back that up.

Although considering the impact he made in his early 20s, it's hard to believe there weren't signs of that talent at 17

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Another article in walesonline about how we passed up a chance on a 17yr old Jarrod Bowen. Unbelievable . Would love to know who made that decision.

That would have been in the summer after relegation from the Premier league.
    Ole Solskjier (I've never learned how to spell that correctly) would have been the first team manager, and in the midst of bringing in a load of his own signings.
    Not sure if he'd have been involved with assessing an u18 prospect on trial, probably not?

Never in this world an England footballer. Can’t use his right foot to start with. Keep him on his right hand side and you won’t notice he’s on the pitch. Blame his dad, he should have encouraged him to become equally proficient with both feet,. That’s what my dad taught me, kicking a tennis ball up against the wall of our terraced house as I grew up. You used to be a bit tasty to get an England cap. These days, Southgate gives them away for fun. The sooner Southgate goes, the sooner all of English football will benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Never in this world an England footballer. Can’t use his right foot to start with. Keep him on his right hand side and you won’t notice he’s on the pitch. Blame his dad, he should have encouraged him to become equally proficient with both feet,. That’s what my dad taught me, kicking a tennis ball up against the wall of our terraced house as I grew up. You used to be a bit tasty to get an England cap. These days, Southgate gives them away for fun. The sooner Southgate goes, the sooner all of English football will benefit.
    How did your Football career go?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How did your Football career go?
    Did my ligament in my right knee in my late teens and that was the end of that. I can see where you are coming from, but these days I don’t know why so many of todays footballers cannot do the simple things. Football is a game supposed to be played with both feet. Up until my injury I could kick a ball equally as good ,no matter what side the ball was on. There’s no excuses really. Maybe laziness and ignorance comes into it.

Plenty of good 17 yr olds dont make it. Should we sign every 17yr old that looks good?

Although I would agree that it pays to work on your weaker foot, plenty of past class players have been one footed.

One springs to mind, Chris Waddle.

Useless with his right foot, worse than Bowen I would say, but what a player...

Did my ligament in my right knee in my late teens and that was the end of that.
    I’ve lost count of the amount of grown men I’ve spoken to that might have had a football career if it wasn’t for “doing their ligament” or “doing their ankle” in

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Who is to say that even if we did sign him, he would have gone on to have the success he has had.
    I think it it safe to say he wouldn’t have

If he's playing for England one does worry about there future planning it's another Jay moment??

Salah scored 4 PL goals this season with his right foot; Bowen scored 3.

International

De bruyne scored 3 with his left foot in one game!