+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staffies.

Staffies.

Best dogs I’ve ever had - as usual, mine is on my lap as I write this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...amy-older-dogs

Re: Staffies.

I know they can be great dogs, and very affectionate.
    I think they are also the dog most responsible for deaths or serious injury in the UK though from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think they are also the dog most responsible for deaths or serious injury in the UK though from memory.
    I think you'll find pure staff breeds are responsible for very little in the way of attacks. They are proper terriers, but great around people of all ages. Its the staff mixes that you have to worry about, not the pure breed staff and EBT.

Unsurprisingly it turns out dogs meticulously bred to fight, hunt and kill are pretty decent at it. Likewise sheepdogs and retrievers have been bred for certain roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Unsurprisingly it turns out dogs meticulously bred to fight, hunt and kill are pretty decent at it. Likewise sheepdogs and retrievers have been bred for certain roles.
    If its owner is a wanker yes.

Great dogs.

Rubbish, maybe you're thinking of American pitbulls.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    If its owner is a wanker yes.

Great dogs.
    Sure. However I’d much prefer to come across a wanker who owns a Scottie dog or Pomeranian instead of a wanker with a staffie or pit bull.

Staffs bred to fight? Are they? They are so far removed from original bull and terrier breed that you may as well say a Kangal is a lapdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Rubbish, maybe you're thinking of American pitbulls.
    American pitbulls were bred from staffs, and via selective breeding have increased in size. Great dogs. Again it is the cross breed mixes that are problematic.

did you know a German shepherd is stronger, faster, quicker and just about a better fighting dog that any pit breed, with a greater per square inch bite pressure. Bull Terriers have a terrible reputation which isn't really deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    American pitbulls were bred from staffs, and via selective breeding have increased in size. Great dogs. Again it is the cross breed mixes that are problematic.

did you know a German shepherd is stronger, faster, quicker and just about a better fighting dog that any pit breed, with a greater per square inch bite pressure. Bull Terriers have a terrible reputation which isn't really deserved.
    German Shepards are excellent gaurd dogs, intelligent and loyal but i can't see them defeating pit dogs, who are bred for fighting.

I could be wrong but i think there are various breeds in the American pitbull. They're too big and aggressive to have soley Staff lineage. Here are the dogs with strongest bite force overall (according to google)

Mastiff - 552 pounds. The Mastiff takes the crown with a reported bite force of 552 pounds. ...

Rottweiler - 328 pounds. Rotties are known for being fierce and strong dogs. ...

American Bulldog - 305 pounds. ...

German Shepherd - 238 pounds. ...

Pitbull - 235 pounds.

The quicker all pure bred dogs are phased out , the better

Pugs , boxers , breathing difficulties

Corgies .....short legs which gives them heart problems

I think people who ALWAYS get a retriever or a Lab or an Alsactian are part of the problem in this country

The dogs homes are full of unwanted animals yet people obsessed with a certain breed simply HAVE to pay for a pedigree dog

Dog breeding should be banned for a few years to see if we can alter the gene pool

No the owners are responsible for the deaths in my opinion...
    I've had staffies , pitbulls etc since i was a kid and not one has ever bitten anyone or started a fight.

German Shepards are excellent gaurd dogs, intelligent and loyal but i can't see them defeating pit dogs, who are bred for fighting.

I could be wrong but i think there are various breeds in the American pitbull. They're too big and aggressive to have soley Staff lineage. Here are the dogs with strongest bite force overall (according to google)

Mastiff - 552 pounds. The Mastiff takes the crown with a reported bite force of 552 pounds. ...

Rottweiler - 328 pounds. Rotties are known for being fierce and strong dogs. ...

Pitbull - 235 pounds.
    The question I would ask is wtf is someone doing with an animal as powerful as these as a pet ?

Police officer , security guard , old lady living on her own isolated and vulnerable I can understand

Pitbull - 235 pounds.
    GSDs are indeed wonderful dogs, and whilst they have been used extensively within the police and military, this is due to their intelligence and their ability to be trained. The GSD was originally a herding/guard dog of sheep and would be used by the farmers to help drove their flock to town.

The Kangal has the strongest bite force of any dog, not the mastiff, followed by the Ovcharka. bite force alone is not enough, as a dog has to have strength.

now turning to the Bull Terrier breeds, these were a cross of the original English Bulldog - known for gameness and bull baiting (not fighting), and the Terrier - known for its energy and tenacity. The Bull and Terrier breeds were bred to fight similar sized dogs, not larger herding dogs such as shepherds, kangals or boerbals, which were crossed with wolves early on in the breeding.

You put a working line shepherd/kangal who is used to fighting foxes and wolves against any bull terrier and the outcome is very predictable. You should not confuse the pet and show lines we have with the original breed which were bred for a very specific purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I think people who ALWAYS get a retriever or a Lab or an Alsactian are part of the problem in this country

The dogs homes are full of unwanted animals yet people obsessed with a certain breed simply HAVE to pay for a pedigree dog

Dog breeding should be banned for a few years to see if we can alter the gene pool
    The Kennel club changed the name of the breed back to German Shepherd Dog in 1977. This was after being changed to Alsatian during WW1.

Are you aware that dogs and wolves are the same species?

GSD's are very intelligent dogs and can be well training to do a lot of things

a guy from our old dog show training club ( we packed it a few years back ) used to train Army dog trainers / handlers, his GSD were wonderful, you could tell them to stay and they would still be in the same spot in 4 hours time

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Best dogs I’ve ever had - as usual, mine is on my lap as I write this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...amy-older-dogs
    Really fancy getting one as it happens, looked after a few of my mates ones in the past ( one for 3 months, other for 6) and it was hard giving them back…such lovely fun dogs. My neighbour bought one recently said they around £3000 though…..

The Belgian Malinois is another fantastic police/army dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The Belgian Malinois is another fantastic police/army dog.
    Belgian shepherd, Dutch Shepherd and German Shepherd are all the same landrace. The Malinois variety of BSD is very agile indeed, but they suffer with hip dysplasia like a lot of shepherds, so jumping is not really a good thing for them to do. i do love watching them train though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I know you post stuff for a response, but this is just wrong, RESPONSIBLE breeding to better the breed must continue

My show breed is the Dally, a carriage dog, we showed our dogs for years, a few 1st places in crufts to pin on our awards board, now the history of Dalmatians tells us when the film 101 Dalmatians came out, the breed became popular and people breed them without thought of the future, this gave us Deaf dogs, some had less pigment in spots and in general the breed suffered, now in the UK we have maybe 20 top breeders ( maybe 20 in Europe and a small handful in the US , though the US is improving due to importing some of the top dogs for breeding from the UK ) who will only breed to better the dogs, these are dogs that fit the standard and are fit and heathy dogs

of course you still have the " back garden breeder " who just breeds to make money, these will breed anything and the results are poor standards of the breed, these might be ok to have as a pet, but breeding a poor standard dog with a poor standard dog just goes you even poorer pups

I know a pug breeder, his dogs are a fine display of what the breed should be, no breathing difficulties in that breed line, its all about the end product

Ive mentioned GSD's above, about 20 years ago, GSD's were favoured to have a sloping rear line, so they were breed for that, this created a issue with the rear legs being weaker and giving way, so the responsible breeders corrected that issue and its now eradicated in many lines

so responsible dog breeders must be encouraged to keep breed lines going

Of course we them step into the designer dog breeding, the Labradoodle etc etc, these dogs have no breed standard, so you can breed a labradoodle with a dandy dimnont ( its in the terrier group of breeds ) and create a dandylabradoodle ( it might have been done anyway ), but we of course cant know what % of the dog is which, so how do we know what health issues that brings
    Now I know people with these doodle dogs, low fur loss for people who have allergies etc etc, they have a purpose and are well loved so it all good

Belgian shepherd, Dutch Shepherd and German Shepherd are all the same landrace. The Malinois variety of BSD is very agile indeed, but they suffer with hip dysplasia like a lot of shepherds, so jumping is not really a good thing for them to do. i do love watching them train though.
    Ah, thanks for the insight. Such a shame so many dog breeds have problems associated with their breeding over the years.
    I speak from personal experience, having owned a British Bulldog who suffered great breathing difficulties here, in a sub-tropical climate.

GSDs are indeed wonderful dogs, and whilst they have been used extensively within the police and military, this is due to their intelligence and their ability to be trained. The GSD was originally a herding/guard dog of sheep and would be used by the farmers to help drove their flock to town.

The Kangal has the strongest bite force of any dog, not the mastiff, followed by the Ovcharka. bite force alone is not enough, as a dog has to have strength.

now turning to the Bull Terrier breeds, these were a cross of the original English Bulldog - known for gameness and bull baiting (not fighting), and the Terrier - known for its energy and tenacity. The Bull and Terrier breeds were bred to fight similar sized dogs, not larger herding dogs such as shepherds, kangals or boerbals, which were crossed with wolves early on in the breeding.

You put a working line shepherd/kangal who is used to fighting foxes and wolves against any bull terrier and the outcome is very predictable. You should not confuse the pet and show lines we have with the original breed which were bred for a very specific purpose.
    Perhaps i'm a sucker for pitbull's aggressive aesthetic but i just can't see a bigger pitbull getting killed by a German Shepherd.
    You're right about the Kangal having the strongest bite force, never heard of them. (American Banne dog 2nd) just watched a decent youtube video on the top 5 strongest bite. Ovchaka(Caucasian Shepherd) is 5th on the list. Apparently the Caucasian Shepherd is becoming trendy in the UK, Some of them are huge, fearsome looking things.
    Also in that video, it says dog fighting is still legal in Japan.
    https://youtu.be/BDmKaU4PO9o

Perhaps i'm a sucker for pitbull's aggressive aesthetic but i just can't see a bigger pitbull getting killed by a German Shepherd.
    You're right about the Kangal having the strongest bite force, never heard of them. (American Banne dog 2nd) just watched a decent youtube video on the top 5 strongest bite. Ovchaka(Caucasian Shepherd) is 5th on the list. Apparently the Caucasian Shepherd is becoming trendy in the UK, Some of them are huge, fearsome looking things.
    Also in that video, it says dog fighting is still legal in Japan.
    https://youtu.be/BDmKaU4PO9o
    Kangals are lovely dogs, very protective, they look like a larger, less fluffy Macedonian shepherd (the Sharplaninac). As usual breeders in the US are bastardising the breed and they've come up with what they call the Anatolian Shepherd Dog. Kangals come from Sivas in Turkey and nowhere else.

The Ovcharka is also a lovely animal, but wary of strangers.

as Blue Matt says, breeding working line dogs is one thing, breeding dogs with inherent traits like pugs and GSDs for aesthetics is just wrong.

And Japan can go **** itself. Dog fighting is barbaric.

Kangals are lovely dogs, very protective, they look like a larger, less fluffy Macedonian shepherd (the Sharplaninac). As usual breeders in the US are bastardising the breed and they've come up with what they call the Anatolian Shepherd Dog. Kangals come from Sivas in Turkey and nowhere else.

The Ovcharka is also a lovely animal, but wary of strangers.

as Blue Matt says, breeding working line dogs is one thing, breeding dogs with inherent traits like pugs and GSDs for aesthetics is just wrong.

And Japan can go **** itself. Dog fighting is barbaric.
    "kangals are lovely dogs, very protective".

"The Ovcharka is also a lovely animal, but wary of strangers."........

Isn't this the problem though with these powerful dogs? They can be overly protective and territorial.

YouTube is littered with videos of kids curled up on the sofa with the family pitbull, trying to debunk the myth that they are dangerous in any way.

A corgi (snappy little feckers! ) is perhaps more likely to bite you than a Kangal, but I'd like to think I could deal with our Welsh canine friend.