+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staffies.

Re: Staffies.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I know you post stuff for a response, but this is just wrong, RESPONSIBLE breeding to better the breed must continue

My show breed is the Dally, a carriage dog, we showed our dogs for years, a few 1st places in crufts to pin on our awards board, now the history of Dalmatians tells us when the film 101 Dalmatians came out, the breed became popular and people breed them without thought of the future, this gave us Deaf dogs, some had less pigment in spots and in general the breed suffered, now in the UK we have maybe 20 top breeders ( maybe 20 in Europe and a small handful in the US , though the US is improving due to importing some of the top dogs for breeding from the UK ) who will only breed to better the dogs, these are dogs that fit the standard and are fit and heathy dogs

of course you still have the " back garden breeder " who just breeds to make money, these will breed anything and the results are poor standards of the breed, these might be ok to have as a pet, but breeding a poor standard dog with a poor standard dog just goes you even poorer pups

I know a pug breeder, his dogs are a fine display of what the breed should be, no breathing difficulties in that breed line, its all about the end product

Ive mentioned GSD's above, about 20 years ago, GSD's were favoured to have a sloping rear line, so they were breed for that, this created a issue with the rear legs being weaker and giving way, so the responsible breeders corrected that issue and its now eradicated in many lines

so responsible dog breeders must be encouraged to keep breed lines going

Of course we them step into the designer dog breeding, the Labradoodle etc etc, these dogs have no breed standard, so you can breed a labradoodle with a dandy dimnont ( its in the terrier group of breeds ) and create a dandylabradoodle ( it might have been done anyway ), but we of course cant know what % of the dog is which, so how do we know what health issues that brings
    Now I know people with these doodle dogs, low fur loss for people who have allergies etc etc, they have a purpose and are well loved so it all good

So you bread them to show them in shows WTF!

They are just dogs, working dogs i understand, but household dogs for companionship get out of town you don't need a Pedigree. My dogs lovely, went to the pound said i want one that doesn't bark, doesn't bother with other dogs ( i hate the chit chat about dogs with other dog owner, f** off boring c**ts ), good around people and not too young as i don't want a puppy. 3 weeks later got a call and everything i asked for was delivered, absolutely gorgeous animal.

Until the pounds are empty very very strict control on any form of breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    "kangals are lovely dogs, very protective".

"The Ovcharka is also a lovely animal, but wary of strangers."........

Isn't this the problem though with these powerful dogs? They can be overly protective and territorial.

YouTube is littered with videos of kids curled up on the sofa with the family pitbull, trying to debunk the myth that they are dangerous in any way.

A corgi (snappy little feckers! ) is perhaps more likely to bite you than a Kangal, but I'd like to think I could deal with our Welsh canine friend.
    Any dog can bite, but if you treat the dog well and make it feel safe, as part of the pack where it knows its place, it will be a happy health dog that is highly unlikely to bite a human.

Experiments have shown that dogs are hard wired to respond to humans in a way that wolves are not. Seeing their favourite human can release oxytocin, which is something dogs struggle to produce, and they certainly don't produce it when they see other dogs (not in the same quantities). The point being, dogs are pack animals, but they prefer to be in a human pack.

"kangals are lovely dogs, very protective".

"The Ovcharka is also a lovely animal, but wary of strangers."........

Isn't this the problem though with these powerful dogs? They can be overly protective and territorial.

YouTube is littered with videos of kids curled up on the sofa with the family pitbull, trying to debunk the myth that they are dangerous in any way.

A corgi (snappy little feckers! ) is perhaps more likely to bite you than a Kangal, but I'd like to think I could deal with our Welsh canine friend.
    The bull breeds are not dangerous its aresholes who own them for the wrong reasons. My kids used to sleep on the floor or on the rug with my staffs and pitbulls.
    My kids friends played with mine in the garden for hours on end and i've never had any issues in 50 years of owning this type of dog.
    People put videos on youtube and the like of their kids with the family pitbull etc to show the ignorant twats who slag the breed down without knowing **** all.
    I've had it with mine over the years. He keeps devil dogs , dangerous dogs bla bla bla.

Staffies are marmite dogs. Personally my experience with them is not good, with my ex-neighbours dogs attacking children playing cricket outside his house (he was coaching them at the time), once they bite they don’t unclench. I’ve never trusted a Staffie since.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    The bull breeds are not dangerous its aresholes who own them for the wrong reasons. My kids used to sleep on the floor or on the rug with my staffs and pitbulls.
    My kids friends played with mine in the garden for hours on end and i've never had any issues in 50 years of owning this type of dog.
    People put videos on youtube and the like of their kids with the family pitbull etc to show the ignorant twats who slag the breed down without knowing **** all.
    I've had it with mine over the years. He keeps devil dogs , dangerous dogs bla bla bla.
    Guns don't kill people rappers do!

So how can you get rid of the asshole owners? In the meantime, innocent people get savaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Staffies are marmite dogs. Personally my experience with them is not good, with my ex-neighbours dogs attacking children playing cricket outside his house (he was coaching them at the time), once they bite they don’t unclench. I’ve never trusted a Staffie since.
    My elderly mother was attacked by an alasation a few years ago. The owner was found and was a tosser who shouldnt have owned a cuddly toy one. Yet my friends mother kept this breed for decades with no issues.
    I will always believe it's 99% the owners fault for any breed biting..
    My sister had a fruit bat looking dog she could just about handle. The ugly little thing would bite or go for anything. Luckily it was only the weight of a bag of sugar but there are people like my sister who would go and buy a big dog and not have a clue how to handle it.

So how can you get rid of the asshole owners? In the meantime, innocent people get savaged.
    Sadly it's not easy is it this type of owner has been around for decades the Breed Specific Legislation act is useless and wrong..
    Same with knife crime how do you stop that? Knives are banned but people still get stabbed.

I’ve had Collies & Spanners for the last 35 years. I’ve loved everyone. My 4 year old Spanner died of Leukaemia last month, currently devastated and taking a short time out before getting a new pair soon.

How you raise a dog plays a part, but personality traits like aggression are largely genetic. Same with humans.
    Pitbulls are more aggressive than other breeds and more likely to attack humans, they've been selectively bred for fearless aggression.
    Staffordshire Bull Terriers have largely had their aggression bred out these days. Maybe i'm over cautious, but I wouldn't have my child around a pitbull no way.

I’ve had Collies & Spanners for the last 35 years. I’ve loved everyone. My 4 year old Spanner died of Leukaemia last month, currently devastated and taking a short time out before getting a new pair soon.
    Thats awful. Dogs are family

I feel your pain. I lost both of my beloved dogs within the space of 14 months..
    I told my wife I wouldn't want any more dogs - I grew too attached to them and it's heartbreaking when they go.

I feel your pain. I lost both of my beloved dogs within the space of 14 months..
    I told my wife I wouldn't want any more dogs - I grew too attached to them and it's heartbreaking when they go.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. My dog died six weeks ago at 14 she died suddenly.
    Told the missus no more but i've never been without a dog and the last week or so i've been finding myself looking at puppies and dogs when i'm out thinking i want one..

Told the missus no more but i've never been without a dog and the last week or so i've been finding myself looking at puppies and dogs when i'm out thinking i want one..
    It's perhaps slightly clichéd, but dogs truly are man's best friend.
    I would sometimes come home from work after a crap day and my dogs' love for me would be unconditional

Fourteen years as a family member, that's a long time! How could anyone not be deeply affected?
    I am not ashamed to admit I cried when both of my dogs died - I took the news, of distant family members passing away, much easier.

Fourteen years as a family member, that's a long time! How could anyone not be deeply affected?
    I am not ashamed to admit I cried when both of my dogs died - I took the news, of distant family members passing away, much easier.
    Same here i'm not ashamed to say either.
    I can see me getting another the way i'm starting to feel lately

Same here i'm not ashamed to say either.
    I can see me getting another the way i'm starting to feel lately
    Go with your feelings..

Sorry to hear that, they are part of the family and its hard

I lost one of ours last Sept and its still hard, When I put the beds in the kitchen at night I sometimes forget and put 4 beds out :( she died of a stroke

her sister has a massive Lump on her leg, she is having a bit of it removed next week to see what it is, but she is 10, so not a good age to have massive surgery

Right
    Vets , highly trained , intelligent people have been saying for years that all this interbreeding is causing so many problems for dogs and it would be a better doggy world if it was phased out

But the same day a pug owning breeder gets interviewed on BBC news and says they are wrong

Her expertise ? Absolutely nothing at all

Bloody idiots 🙄

they are more part of the family than distant members who you dont see